Reserving Sunbeds😡

lprp

While I agree that there is a difference between dress codes and sun bed hogging, IMO, they both speak to adherence of policies. Either Regent is going to enforce their policies or they are not.

P.S. You made a good case of how a person dresses can affect you personally:)

My point was that the things that annoy some/many of us, such as hats while dining or cover-ups at the Pool Grill are not covered by Regent's dress code (Note it is a code not a policy)

However, jeans are deemed to be not appropriate after 6pm even though some/many would have no objection to an elegant, smart pair of tailored jeans

I feel a flaming coming!!

My point was that the things that annoy some/many of us, such as hats while dining or cover-ups at the Pool Grill are not covered by Regent's dress code (Note it is a code not a policy)

However, jeans are deemed to be not appropriate after 6pm even though some/many would have no objection to an elegant, smart pair of tailored jeans

I feel a flaming coming!!

No one is going to flame you for an opinion about hats or jeans (but men have been asked to remove their hat in CR).

Trying to differentiate between "policy", "code", "rule", etc. can be confusing. Whatever Regent sets forth on their website is meant to be followed and enforced.

Is it just me or is there no rule/policy/code on the Regent website regarding hogging lounge chairs? Are we asking Regent to enforce something that does not exist?

Hope that someone is more successful than I have been in finding any reference to this on the Regent website.

Is it just me or is there no rule/policy/code on the Regent website regarding hogging lounge chairs? Are we asking Regent to enforce something that does not exist?

Exactly the point of the other thread I instigated

Before Regent steps up on enforcement, it needs to review, clarify and disseminate the policies/rules/codes/guidance for all guests.............and not just via a paragraph buried in a difficult to find FAQ on the website

Before Regent steps up on enforcement, it needs to review, clarify and disseminate the policies/rules/codes/guidance for all guests.............and not just via a paragraph buried in a difficult to find FAQ on the website

Agree!

Flossie I completely agree about the need for clarity.

They do reference Dress Code, No Smoking rules and what they refer to as something along the lines of "Sun Lounger Etiquette" in Passages.

As I noted in your thread on Policies, etc. I know to my embarrasment that Regent do, at least sometimes, enforce dress code. On our first day on board, after the sailaway we went into the Observation Lounge still in shorts and T-shirts, completely oblivious to the time (6:10pm), at the bar we were very politely advised that we were not following dress policy for the time of day. I am sure they would enforce smoking policies too.

However, my request that they enforce the etiquette re Sun Lounge hogging was met with platitudes and resigned shrugs.

While it could be embarrassing for people that are in shorts after 6:00 p.m., the crew are only giving a reminder since it is easy to forget what time it is (particularly in the summer when it is light way past 6:00 p.m.). On the other hand, I applaud them for enforcing their dress code.

In terms of hogging chairs/sunbeds or whatever one wants to call them on the pool deck, it has pretty well been established that there is no policy. Therefore, unless and until one is put in place, passengers need to live with what rude passengers are doing.

As I said on an almost identical thread, Regent (and other luxury cruise lines) treat their passengers as educated adults ...... not children. As such, hogging chairs and/or not adhering to the dress code is unexpected. So, asking a crew member to enforce a policy that does not exist can be confusing. Hopefully, Regent will realize that not all of their passengers have the common sense not to place their belongings on a chair they are not occupying for hours and will put a policy in place (as it has on Regent's sister company, Oceania - a policy that is enforced). In the meantime, IMO, there is nothing that we can do other than voice our opinions.

Also in my opinion, the most important thing to do when witnessing chair hogging is to put it in your mid-cruise and final comments (that are read by corporate). If your cruise is past, writing to Regent headquarters is a good idea. If they hear from enough of you, they may take another look at this situation.

In terms of hogging chairs/sunbeds or whatever one wants to call them on the pool deck, it has pretty well been established that there is no policy. Therefore, unless and until one is put in place, passengers need to live with what rude passengers are doing.

Whereas Carnival do have a specific policy, but sadly, appear to put little or zero effort into enforcing it :-(

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1121/~/reserving-sun-loungers

So, if I can't get a chair and they are being hogged I plan to raise this with the CD...

Whereas Carnival do have a specific policy, but sadly, appear to put little or zero effort into enforcing it :-(

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1121/~/reserving-sun-loungers

So, if I can't get a chair and they are being hogged I plan to raise this with the CD...

IMO, mainstream cruise lines need rules - rules that do not apply to luxury cruise lines. However, if you are on Regent and cannot get a chair, feel free to discuss this with the G.M. (General Manager as the C.D. has no responsibility in this area). More importantly, mention it on your mid-cruise and final comment cards. This will make the most impact on this yet to be made policy.

IMO, mainstream cruise lines need rules - rules that do not apply to luxury cruise lines. .
It would seem that Regent luxury cruisers (some) have discovered this very fact...judging by the thread.

It would seem that Regent luxury cruisers (some) have discovered this very fact...judging by the thread.

Regent has policies in place - they just need to enforce them and possibly make them more visible to passengers. Thankfully, Regent does not have to cope with some of the issues that "party" cruise lines and those with hundreds of children on board have to deal with. As most of us know (and some of us have experienced), there is a huge difference between cruising on Regent, Silversea, Crystal and Seabourn than sailing on NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival (not picking on those three cruise lines -- they are just the most visible and the largest).

We can all "argue" (in the sense that attorneys do) endlessly. We all have our opinions and preferences. IMO, what matters in terms of these threads is Regent's enforcement of policies/rules that already exist. If someone has a specific question about existing policies, perhaps they should have their TA ask Regent (it seems that the contact people available to TA's are more informed about Regent policy than some of the customer service people answering the phones). If enough questions are asked, perhaps Regent will decide to further clarify the policies (specifically dress code and chair hogging).

I am one of those cruisers who needs to sit in a shady area as much as possible. Therefore, we usually claim a sun bed after breakfast, with brief respites for bathroom breaks and short lunch. The rest of the time, I am enjoying reading /gazing at the ocean from the sun bed, or quick dunks in the pool. I need the shade, and it does frustrate me tremendously when other passengers block availability of the sometimes few shady areas. I realize that shade can vary throughout the day, but agree that cruise lines can utilize additional umbrellas, etc to maximize the shade

I am one of those cruisers who needs to sit in a shady area as much as possible. Therefore, we usually claim a sun bed after breakfast, with brief respites for bathroom breaks and short lunch. The rest of the time, I am enjoying reading /gazing at the ocean from the sun bed, or quick dunks in the pool. I need the shade, and it does frustrate me tremendously when other passengers block availability of the sometimes few shady areas. I realize that shade can vary throughout the day, but agree that cruise lines can utilize additional umbrellas, etc to maximize the shade

There are many people that need to avoid the sun. After all, the sun is so harmful to the skin and former sun worshipers (like my DH) will have even more pre-cancerous skin issues that need to be removed semi-annually. This is a serious problem for many people. However, if everyone that was going to be away from their sun beds for more than a few minutes took their belongings, there would be a lot more availability than there is now. Regent could likely have purchased proper umbrellas that would fit with their existing furniture (it would need to be attached to something for safety and not shade someone next to you that wants to bake in the sun), however, their furniture is new and is highly unlikely that umbrellas could be added at this point. So, IMO, umbrellas are not a solution ...... enforcement is.

Another option would be for Regent to build more shade on the Voyager, Navigator and Mariner as they have done on the Explorer (that apparently still needs more shade) but that would need to happen during the next dry dock. Regent would likely try enforcement before thinking of spending enormous amounts of money to shade their pool deck.

A roll up awning attached to the back of the pool deck overhang to provide one or two more rows of shade could do the trick - at least on Voyager and Navigator the only two ships I have sailed.

A roll up awning attached to the back of the pool deck overhang to provide one or two more rows of shade could do the trick - at least on Voyager and Navigator the only two ships I have sailed.

Really good idea. Hope that Regent is reading this!

We are seriously considering a Caribbean cruise on Regent next winter. Reading this thread has us reconsidering. I very much enjoy spending time sitting around the pool, but must be in the shade. To think I may have 2 sea days where I likely won't be able to find a lounge in the shade is very disturbing. Regent should absolutely find a way to add awnings or other structure to increase shade and must establish / enforce rules about reserving lounges. I have been to several resorts with such rules and have watched people's belongings being moved to a designated table which contained a sign explaining the reason for the things being moved.

We are seriously considering a Caribbean cruise on Regent next winter. Reading this thread has us reconsidering. I very much enjoy spending time sitting around the pool, but must be in the shade. To think I may have 2 sea days where I likely won't be able to find a lounge in the shade is very disturbing. Regent should absolutely find a way to add awnings or other structure to increase shade and must establish / enforce rules about reserving lounges. I have been to several resorts with such rules and have watched people's belongings being moved to a designated table which contained a sign explaining the reason for the things being moved.

I suspect that, after this thread, enforcement will be taking place on all ships. Time will tell. I do like the idea of your belongings being removed after a set amount of time. If this happens to a passengers once, it is unlikely that they will try hogging a lounge again!

Earlier in the thread there was mention of people reserving chairs both in and out of the shade - I can only think of one word to describe such passengers - pigs! They should be ashamed of themselves.

But it reminds me of family resorts where I have often seen a family reserve 4 or 5 lounges for the day. The ones reserved for the kiddies were never used at all for the entire day. The kids were busy in the pool and running around. Occasionally they would stop by to grab a towel to dry off and then run away again. In the meantime, there were lots of people trying to find available chairs when none were open.

Jacquie, I know you are not naive, but that response about enforcement was wishful thinking. On our Sydney/Singapore/ Hongkong trip I must have spoken 5/10 times to various officers about the problem. Answer always was concerned; but no action was ever taken. We even spoke to some of the pool attendants as to whether there had been any directive from above; answer always not yet.

Jacquie, I know you are not naive, but that response about enforcement was wishful thinking. On our Sydney/Singapore/ Hongkong trip I must have spoken 5/10 times to various officers about the problem. Answer always was concerned; but no action was ever taken. We even spoke to some of the pool attendants as to whether there had been any directive from above; answer always not yet.

Yeah - may be wishful thinking. I'm wondering if the 25th Anniversary cruise on the Explorer next month will have a Town Hall meeting. I know that the President of Regent, Jason Montague will be onboard. This would be the perfect opportunity to discuss enforcement of policies.

If anybody can get through you are the one. Go for it:)

Not sure why you think that but thanks for the confidence. We will not be on the cruise next month but will be on the one preceding it and also will be at a Regent event in Miami on the 25th of this month. The problem is that it is a social event -- not a place to complain. Hoping that the passengers that are doing the B2B that includes the Anniversary Cruise will discuss this subject.

While I don't typically watch for people not dressed to "code" or passengers that hog lounges (:halo:), I'll try to pay attention on this cruise. I'm a sun avoider rather than a sun worshiper but will notice if the same lounges have "things on them" after lunch that were there before lunch.

The same G.M. that is not enforcing policies will still be onboard.

I typically write to corporate to let them know how great a cruise was. However, if policies are not being enforced, I'll write and let them know my thoughts (not that they mean much -- IMO, the more people that comment on the same issues - the better!)

BTW, are you ever going to sail on the Explorer?

On the top deck of Explorer there are shade awnings, but these can only be used when the ship is in port due, to possible damage by high winds according to the pool staff. These awnings have to installed and removed manually by the crew.

There are also several double daybeds each with their own shade that can be raised. However, all but one of these was broken, prior to our voyage, which meant that the shade would not stay up.

The staff came up with a workable, if not luxurious, solution for those daybeds by cutting a hole in the fabric and tying an orange rope to the base of the daybed or the railings around the deck.

I have tried to attach a couple of photos, but having never added a photo to CC before I am not sure how they will turn out:

IMG_6008.jpg.ea48442f352917701e83add90a94790c.jpg

IMG_6009.jpg.2ab4ad4e5b19fd24a9cc7814632ad60b.jpg

Agree - this does not fit into the luxury image. Also, did not think about the high winds on the pool deck. IMO, enforcing already established rules is the best way to handle it.

Something that has been mentioned is the fact that 100% of the suites on the Explorer, Voyager and Mariner have balconies. They are in the shade half of the time and in the sun the other half (in general - not always). If you are not going into the pool, there is no reason why passengers cannot sit there (particularly on the Explorer with the largest balconies of the Regent fleet).

This should not be an issue. And, I can't help but wonder if the "hogs" are coming from premium and mainstream cruise lines (before anyone bashes me for that comment spend a while on the other boards - you may be surprised at the issues they are worried about ....... things that are never an issue on luxury cruises likes such as people on balconies blaring music, leaving trash outside of the cabin on the floor, etc.).

The real solution is simple - enforcement.