Reserving Sunbeds😡

lprp

I am not one to sit out in the sun at all, but I did look around to see if any chair hogging was going on during our cruise from Singapore to Hong Kong. Fortunately I did not observe any. There always seemed to be plenty of room, and the ship was sailing full. Also never had a problem getting a table on the pool deck or in La Veranda for lunch.

As a newbie to Regent, only ever cruised before on Premium and mainstream ships, I do take offence to the post blaming people like me . I have never hogged a sun lounger on sea or land and don't intend to.

I will be on the Explorer next week and like the shade so maybe I'll have to stay on my balcony.

drib - love the visual!

grotbags: Since I brought up mainstream cruisers, I thought that I should respond. Most luxury cruisers were, at one time either mainstream cruisers are stayed in less than luxury hotels and resorts when they were younger. Some of us still do when we are with children, grandchildren, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with mainstream or premium cruise lines.

I do not only spend time on luxury cruise boards but on the "General" board where questions come from passengers from all cruise lines. The issues brought up from mainstream, premium and even premium plus cruisers are issues that are not typically faced by luxury cruisers. For instance, playing loud music on balconies is not an issue on Regent. Sneaking alcohol onboard (or verifying how much alcohol can be carried on board) is also not an issue. Luxury cruise lines also do not have children (except during the summer and school breaks) so there are few issues/problems relating to children.

Lounge hogging does not happen on every cruise (as evidenced by a couple of posters that just posted that there were plenty of lounges available on the Regent ship they currently were sailing. IMO, Caribbean cruises would have this issue much more than on other itineraries. I can see that passengers new to luxury cruising might be used to having more lounges than passengers and thus the necessity to try and save them (sometimes at 6:00 a.m.). Once these new passengers learn that saving lounges isn't necessary (which could mean enforcement of Regent's policy), and there will be a lounge available for them, the problem will quickly cease to exist.

Enjoy the Explorer. If you don't find shade on the pool deck, the deck above also has shade (depending upon the time of the day). When you get off of the ship, we will be getting on ...... taking the Explorer back to Europe for the Spring and Summer.

Thank you for the clarification Travelcat, I believe that people regardless of type ,grade or class of cruiseship , hotel or restaurant should behave in a civilised and respectful way.

I am really looking forward to my trip and hope you have a good time too.

I believe that people regardless of type ,grade or class of cruiseship , hotel or restaurant should behave in a civilised and respectful way.

Well said grotbags - I couldn't have put it better myself.

We are currently on Explorer and will remain on for the Miami-Miami itinerary you are taking. Hope to meet you - we will try and ensure that there is some Champagne left for you ! 😊

Lounge hogging does not happen on every cruise (as evidenced by a couple of posters that just posted that there were plenty of lounges available on the Regent ship they currently were sailing.

More evidence - in the 4 Regent cruises we have taken, I have never noticed hogging and, as my DW cannot now sit in the sun, we have to find the shade.

The problem is, of course, that selfish people 'reserving' sun-beds begins an escalating process - when we used to holiday at seaside hotels, the process would begin at 6 am or even earlier once it got started!

While reading the general board today I came across this thread regarding etiquette (which IMO is on topic simply because it is about bad behaviors and I believe that lounge hogging falls under the same umbrella. If I could write a subject for this thread, it would be "and you think that Regent has problems........"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2468081

The first post says it all but I had to comment on page 3 because the issue of which side of the hall to walk on does come into play on Regent. Sometimes walking down a hallway is like playing a game of how to avoid people walking on what some consider the wrong side of the hall.

Re: MikePapa's rant--as forwarded for our edification by Travelcat.

What a hoot to read not only that original rant following Mike's NCL cruise--but responses. Interesting that no rejoinder (rebuttal) was issued by said-Mike. BTW: as we military-types (personally, 28 years' in the Army) would instantly recognize, the original poster was in the Military Police (MP's). Mike Papa translates to M P in military parlance.

Reminds me (and shows my advanced age) an old line from one of the "Bowery Boys--Dead End Kids" movies of the late '30s and early '40s starring Leo Gorcey. "Why-- I otta. . . " (punch you out).

Yikes!

GoARMY!

Re: MikePapa's rant--as forwarded for our edification by Travelcat.

What a hoot to read not only that original rant following Mike's NCL cruise--but responses. Interesting that no rejoinder (rebuttal) was issued by said-Mike. BTW: as we military-types (personally, 28 years' in the Army) would instantly recognize, the original poster was in the Military Police (MP's). Mike Papa translates to M P in military parlance.

Reminds me (and shows my advanced age) an old line from one of the "Bowery Boys--Dead End Kids" movies of the late '30s and early '40s starring Leo Gorcey. "Why-- I otta. . . " (punch you out).

Yikes!

GoARMY!

Love your response!

Trying to understand your Army references but, unfortunately, they go over my head:halo:

"Why, I oughta" .. is very interesting.

It's mostly attributed to The Three Stooges, who have a lot of catch phrases I can verify, including "Why you" and "A wise guy, eh" but I can't find any video where they actually say "Why, I oughta."

It's also been attributed to Popeye, Ralph Kramden of the Honeymooners, Abbott and Costello, and now The Bowery Boys.

It was quoted and used in the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married," and I think that confused our collective memories.

But I think it's origins are likely to be from a gangster movie. Although I can't place it right now, what I remember is "I ought to pulverize you."

Just to be clear, none of the people I mentioned have ever reserved a sunbed on Regent Seven Seas.

Travelcat2: please answer a question for me. We're taking our first cruise on the Navigator, after two lovely cruises on Voyager. Like you, my DH and I like shade. We have found the forward loungers on the deck below the pool are nice and shady. Is there such an area on Navigator? Thanks, Laurie

Travelcat2: please answer a question for me. We're taking our first cruise on the Navigator, after two lovely cruises on Voyager. Like you, my DH and I like shade. We have found the forward loungers on the deck below the pool are nice and shady. Is there such an area on Navigator? Thanks, Laurie

Really wish that I could answer your question but it has been too long since we have been on the Navigator (before the last two refurbishments). As I recall, the Navigator is just a smaller version of the Voyager (without an Observation Lounge) and I can't imagine that the shady area that you describe would have been removed.

Hopefully another poster can give you a more definitive answer. Enjoy your cruise!

...... We have found the forward loungers on the deck below the pool are nice and shady. Is there such an area on Navigator? Thanks, Laurie

The NAV pool deck has shade on the sides from the next deck up waking/jogging track. Forward of the pool, the bar is on the port side.

Maybe these photos will help.

seven-seas-voyager-pool-deck.jpg?w=605&h=348

2B2E1EBD00000578-0-image-a-56_1438965378458.jpg

j

• 2 weeks later...
The NAV pool deck has shade on the sides from the next deck up waking/jogging track. Forward of the pool, the bar is on the port side.

Maybe these photos will help.

seven-seas-voyager-pool-deck.jpg?w=605&h=348

2B2E1EBD00000578-0-image-a-56_1438965378458.jpg

j

Thanks for the photos, J. Perhaps you can tell me if the deck below the pool has shade?

No worries. Here's a link to the deck plans - shows you what's where. It defaults to Explorer, you'll need to select Navigator or whatever ship you're interested in. You can click around deck by deck and see the general layout. Also some good Navigator videos on YouTube, and lots of images on Google. Enjoy!!

https://www.rssc.com/ships/explorer.aspx

Pool lounge chairs. The rules were enforced on us once. We left our chairs to get something to eat, I don't think we were gone for thirty minutes but when we returned my lap top was at the bar.

Learned our lesson, one of us stayed at the lounge chair at all times until we were ready to leave for good. The wife went to the buffet and got lunch, I got thinks at the bar. The irksome thing is that the rule was not uniformly enforced. We saw several lounge chars with books shoes etc sit unmolested for the entire time we sat at the pool.

Pool lounge chairs. The rules were enforced on us once. We left our chairs to get something to eat, I don't think we were gone for thirty minutes but when we returned my lap top was at the bar.

Learned our lesson, one of us stayed at the lounge chair at all times until we were ready to leave for good. The wife went to the buffet and got lunch, I got thinks at the bar. The irksome thing is that the rule was not uniformly enforced. We saw several lounge chars with books shoes etc sit unmolested for the entire time we sat at the pool.

Not what I would call six star if you and your wife can't go and have lunch together.

Personally, I wouldn't leave my laptop lying around, even on Regent. Too expensive, and that may be one reason it was removed.

Agree with Rachel! After many onboard discussions, I have learned a few things. First, posts on CC can be greatly exaggerated. Secondly, the "hogging" issue tends to happen on Caribbean itineraries ONLY! And, the hogs are smart...... it is like feeding a parking meter. Someone goes out and moves a few things around and the time restarts. Unfortunately, it is the selfish passengers on Regent that caused the issue and no amount of policing will help (unless they leave their belongings on a lounge for more than a half an hour).

Looking again at the current cruise - in Bermuda - gorgeous weather and NO hogging of any type. My comments regarding the different passenger mix on Caribbean cruises remains (and is even stronger). No offense to Caribbean cruisers but they are not the typical Regent cruisers. Some of you won't care...... some may argue. and, hopefully, some readers/lurkers will "get it"

What is a typical Regent cruiser VS a typical Crystal, Seabourn cruiser? A lot of wealthy people cruise the Caribbean. Your last remark about Caribbean cruisers comes off a bit snooty.

It is what it is - I just report what I hear/learn (and my comments have nothing to do with how much $$$ a person earns or has).. The Caribbean has the least expensive itineraries and are easily accessible for people in the U.S. The Explorer in particular had a lot of newbies onboard during the summer and as I've said before, the experiences are not the same on all itineraries. Also, the longer the cruise, the more repeat customers.