Dealing with selfish Chair hogs on NW

traveler2100

Here is what it says on the daily: Unaccompanied children may not sit in the front row and please refrain from reserving seats.

Slightly off topic but here's a scenario....

Let's say that a husband and wife (Jim and Jane) sit in 2 empty seats. On Jim's left, there are 3 empty seats and there are no empty seats on Jane's right. If Jim gets up and walks to the bar to get a drink before the show starts, what happens if 4 people show up and see 4 "empty" seats?

Does that count as "reserving" or is it "using"?

Let's say that a husband and wife (Jim and Jane) sit in 2 empty seats. On Jim's left, there are 3 empty seats and there are no empty seats on Jane's right. If Jim gets up and walks to the bar to get a drink before the show starts, what happens if 4 people show up and see 4 "empty" seats?

Only if Jim Doesn't​ have a background in boxing or martial arts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

I think that is totally different. The person was in the chair and left to go to the bar or restrooms and that is the same if you have a lounger and you need to use the restroom or get something to eat...it is still that person's chair or lounger, unless they are gone for an hour or whatever time frame NCL has. Now if the wife showed up and saved a seat for her husband, that is totally different, it is saving seats.

Are you saying that if someone sits in a chair or lounger, they can't go to the restroom or bar and if they do, their seat is fair game.

Now if the wife showed up and saved a seat for her husband, that is totally different, it is saving seats.

Are you really suggesting that if a wife finds two open chairs and her husband will be joining her she shouldn't be able to save the seat next to her?

Two things I would add:

Yes I have seen an all out fight on Epic over seats with staff and security unable to get control due to numbers

If you touched my personal property I would assume trespass.

Finally, I really do not see the issue. First come first served its the same the world over in hotels and cruises ships (But not on Seaborn:))

I think that is totally different. The person was in the chair and left to go to the bar or restrooms and that is the same if you have a lounger and you need to use the restroom or get something to eat...it is still that person's chair or lounger, unless they are gone for an hour or whatever time frame NCL has.

I agree. That has been my point in this entire thread. Someone who gets there and leaves (restroom, bar, whatever) shouldn't lose their seat.

Now if the wife showed up and saved a seat for her husband, that is totally different, it is saving seats.

I agree but to the 4 people who arrived later, their response would be "OMG, she is saving a seat...that is so wrong...she's a chair hog..." even when Jane wasn't "saving" the seat.

Are you saying that if someone sits in a chair or lounger, they can't go to the restroom or bar and if they do, their seat is fair game.

No, not at all. If a person acquires a seat, they should be able to leave and return (within x amount of time) to find it as they left it.

It makes sense whether it is a seat for a show or a pool lounger.

If someone arrives at 6am, puts an item down and walks away for an hour(s?), THAT person (chair hog) is wrong and NCL should remove the items after 1 hour.

If someone arrives and finds an empty lounger, that person can leave (bar, swim, etc.) and as long as that person returns within the specified time, neither NCL staff nor a NCL guest should move that person's (not a chair hog) items.

I have only had an issue with people saving seats in the theater one time. In this case a lady was saving an entire row of seats AFTER the show had already started. We arrived right before the show started and took two of her seats. She was livid. Her crew showed up ten minutes later but they all still had a seat, just not the exact seats they wanted. I still felt a little bad. My hubs could not have cared less.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Good grief! Use common sense. This thread has apparently striked many nerves. If you feel that you are above everyone and "claim" seats on deck and don't return for HOURS, than so be it. I will find other seats for my family. But thank you for exercising common courtesy to others and your train of thought which = me = me = me. Not my train of thought...

I have only had an issue with people saving seats in the theater one time. In this case a lady was saving an entire row of seats AFTER the show had already started. We arrived right before the show started and took two of her seats. She was livid. Her crew showed up ten minutes later but they all still had a seat, just not the exact seats they wanted. I still felt a little bad. My hubs could not have cared less.

In that situation, the lady was wrong. The two of you did nothing wrong. I doubt that the lady's entire crew arrived earlier, took a seat, then decided to all go somewhere else.

All chairs onboard should require you to swipe your card to reserve it. Swiping a card turns a little light in the armrest red to mark “in use”. Swiping a different chair releases the first one. This will also allow for easier “nickel & diming” in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My 1st NW cruise is fast approaching.

When I have sailed on Carnival I would watch a handful of chairs with towels "reserving" them.

If I was certain the occupants did not return in at least 45 minutes I Took the towels to whoever was working the area and claim the chairs for myself and spouse.

Many times the hogs did not even return while I was using the chairs.

The few times they did return and tell me they had reserved the chairs I told them exactly what I had done.

I never had any type of confrontation because of this

So, my question is " Will this also work on NW? and if not why not?

every line has trouble with chair hogs just like some hotels with small poll areas. Some people are just not considerate and think of themselves first. What you did on Carnival will work on NCL as well.

And if they come to the theater together then one of them needs to use the rest room, the other should not be allowed to hold the seat? Let me guess now you want crew members to time how long a theater seat is empty and it becomes fair game? LOL
If you read my posts, I clearly said if the person sits in their chair and then has to go to the restroom or to get a drink, then it is their chair, just as it it with loungers by the pool. It is wrong if one person comes and claims and saves chairs for their party until they saunter in.

If you read my posts, I clearly said if the person sits in their chair and then has to go to the restroom or to get a drink, then it is their chair, just as it it with loungers by the pool. It is wrong if one person comes and claims and saves chairs for their party until they saunter in.

So let me get this straight. Husband and wife arrive together but husband stops to get drinks or go the the restroom so the wife is not allowed to save his seat. But if husband's bum actually touches the seat then it is ok? How long does said bum need to touch the seat? Is it like like 3 on 3 basketball where you just need to touch back or does he need to be sitting in the chair for a certain amount of time? And what of said bum didn't leave a seat impression? Does it still count? I mean without a bum impression in the seat how can the wife prove that he was ever there?

You politely tell the people your husband is sitting there but went to the bar at the back of the theater to get drinks. Saving one seat is not the problem; it becomes a problem when people block off a large part of a row because their friends are coming to the show. Even that’s not a problem until the theater starts to fill up. At that point all empty seats should be available to whoever arrives and wants to sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You politely tell the people your husband is sitting there but went to the bar at the back of the theater to get drinks.

What if Jim went to get drinks before sitting down?

The group of 4 would see it no differently. If Jim sat down then got up for the drinks or if Jim went to get the drinks first then sat down. All the group of 4 would see is 4 empty chairs and a woman "blocking" their group from sitting down.

Saving one seat is not the problem; it becomes a problem when people block off a large part of a row because their friends are coming to the show.

How many is too many? Maybe it should be 1 "hold" per person.

Even that’s not a problem until the theater starts to fill up. At that point all empty seats should be available to whoever arrives and wants to sit.

So if Jim wants a drink, he'd better get it before the theater starts to fill up? Jim's seat should still be his no matter how full the theater is. The group of 4 needs to either split up or find four empty seats that are together...or arrive before Jim and Jane.

The group of four should show up when the theater opens. And Jim can get a drink from one of the attendants taking drink orders in the theater. People should be reasonable when they see the theater is getting crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not a big sun person, but I do like to sit in the shade for an hour or so and do some people watching. It is very frustrating when folks have their loungers in the sun and then the same amount saved in the shade, so that they can go back and forth.

Wow, maybe I'm not that observant, but I haven't seen that yet...

Easy fix NCL. RENT THE CHAIRS. NCL seems to think it is OK that someone with an Unlimited Beverage Plan should pay $3 for water or coffee. I believe NCL would really like the idea that pool chairs cost $3 per hour.

If implemented, that would stop the rude, rule-breaking, self-centered, thoughtless people placing towels on a dozen chairs at 6AM. And if the rude Chair hogs are gone. it would also stop the rude people, like me, that remove abandoned towels and crap from unused chairs so that I can enjoy some relax time.

Have a chair rental station just like they do for towels. When someone rents chairs, they get them placed on the deck for them. Install some type if timer on the chairs and viola. When the timers expire, tell the users to either pay again or get out so that the chairs can be remvoed. Problem solved with existing workforce and increased revenue to NCL.

I always treat people as they treat me. If they want to be rude and disrespectful to me (and by definition chair hogs are), I respond in kind. If you don't like or agree with that, frankly Scarlet ... If you think I am rude, correct. I love being rude to rude people. Likewise, I love being happy, friendly and considerate to people. Thank God on NCL cruises, I find that 99% of the time people are happy, friendly and considerate when I am.

And who gets to define large? If I am sailing with a group of 20 and 8 of us decide to go to a show, that is not large. Whats worse than the people who save seats are the ones who leave just ONE empty seat between them and the person/group next to them or (for example) a group of four who see six empty seats together and they sit in the middle four.

I have traveled in groups of 20+. I tell the chair hogs in our group (and there are some) to NEVER save me a chair in the theater or deck. When I go to the theater, I find chairs for my wife and I and we sit in them. The group may have a block of chairs cordoned off but I will sit in my found seat. Later, if they ask why I would not sit with the group for the performance, I explain that saving seats is against the rules and I chose to follow the rules. I also strongly suggest that they stop being rude people and follow the rules on future nights. Let the people that decide to arrive together, sit together. The others that did not make it a priority to arrive together can find other, excellent seats. This is not Kindergarten.