Waffling (again) about what to bring for warmth

mamasylvia

I know the drill - layers, waterproof outer layer, pack lighter than you think you will need. I'm just having trouble applying it to what I have and what I am considering buying. We plan several activities that will involve being outside for extended periods of time - Mendenhall and tram in Juneau, balcony on Glacier Bay day (with Nikon as well as video camera), Yukon/rail excursion in Skagway. So I am concerned that the weather not cramp my style.

I live in Wyoming, so I'm used to cold weather. But I don't normally do layers. My go-to coat for home is a hooded old Bryant Park jacket that works for me in temps from the 50s down to the teens. (I switch to my heavy coat for single digits and sub-zero temps, which I am not expecting to find in Alaska in May!) And I haven't ruled out bringing it along. But it has 2 problems: it's not waterproof, and it's way too big for me. As in about 2 sizes too big. I think that would be a pretty serious handicap in a situation where I will be constantly using my camera, digging in my bag for lipsaver, changing camera lenses, etc.

Best alternative is a hooded windbreaker with a removable warm lining. It fits better and is water-resistant if not positively waterproof. But the lining is actually too warm. I rarely use it because I get so hot in it. I'm considering a light hoodie and/or a warm vest to use instead of the lining, but I'm having trouble finding one I like that comes in a large enough size.

Another alternative is a packable jacket, but again, I haven't found one I like. (Normal stores don't carry my size. I haven't even been able to find anything on Amazon. I normally shop at a site called Woman Within.)

This is a creative group, and I would welcome suggestions. Maybe I'm just not seeing the forest for the trees.

Hi Craghoppers do a compresslite packaway jacket for men and women. We both had them last year in Alaska and you can wear a fleece or fleece zip up below if needed. Really good comfy jackets and I have a red one and a watermelon pink one. They have vibrant colours or then usual every day colors. Jean.

Leave that big jacket at home. :) Waterproof HOODED jacket, a fleecy, a sweater (cashmere is my favorite, packable, light weight, or look for a technical fabric from REI or Cabellas or similar), and if you can find a lightweight (e.g., silk) base layer..... that is my go-to layering for Alaska. Gloves. A hat. Wool blend socks. Don't rely on "water repellent" top layer. I've made that error and will not make it again ;)

As for sizing, imho you might check out men's wear. So what if you need to roll up the sleeves, right? Or the top is a bit longer than the jacket and the hem hangs down? It's Alaska, not a fashion show, and being warm and dry is important!

Too late to edit my previous post. Remember, the point of layering is so that you can adjust your clothing to current weather conditions. So if it warms up, you can remove a layer, and add that layer back on when it gets cooler. So "too warm" can be dealt with by taking off a piece of clothing.

I usually just bring my fleece jacket (the 1 part of a 3 part Columbia jacket if that helps) and then I bring an old Lands End rain jacket that is sort of big so I can wear a sweatshirt or nylon pull over windbreaker underneath the jacket.

I live in Mid-West, so I have never shopped for clothes for Alaska.

I usually wear a t-shirt with a nylon type pull over and then my fleece jacket for May cruises. Not sure when you are going. I remember once in July, it was pretty cold and then another year in July, I had jeans on and returned to ship to put shorts on.

I would not bring a heavy jacket.

--

Just saw you are going in May. I would bring clothes like you would wear in April in Wyoming.

There are a tons of inexpensive jackets in Alaska if you need to buy (just don't pay ship prices).

Edited by Coral

My go-to coat for home is a hooded old Bryant Park jacket that works for me in temps from the 50s down to the teens...But it has 2 problems: it's not waterproof, and it's way too big for me.

Good instinct. Don't bring this one.

Best alternative is a hooded windbreaker with a removable warm lining. It fits better and is water-resistant if not positively waterproof. But the lining is actually too warm. I rarely use it because I get so hot in it.

This might work out OK in May because it is not as rainy as late summer, when I've gone. Personally, I would not be without my Goretex jacket. But I already had that as I wear it all the time where I live.

I'm considering a light hoodie and/or a warm vest to use instead of the lining, but I'm having trouble finding one I like that comes in a large enough size.

All you need is a sweatshirt or sweater instead of the "too warm" lining. Take a knit hat and gloves if you will be out all day on Glacier Bay day. That was the only day I needed those items.

Try not to overthink it. I'm not as worried about you as much as I would be someone from a warmer climate. You know what you need to stay warm. Avoid bulky clothes that take up too much luggage space. The suggestion already given for long underwear, especially silk, is a good one. That is my last ditch go to when I need it and it takes up almost no space in my bag.

I'm still working on this. Found and ordered a cashmere sweater - sounds like it will also be useful at home when it's really cold. I don't need anything seriously water-repellent at home so I'll just pick up a rain poncho for the trip. (I don't mind spending serious money for something for the trip that I will also be able to use at home, but I don't want to pay a high price for something I'm just going to use for a week.) Have picked out fleece sweatshirt and pants but haven't ordered them yet. I am debating with myself about ordering a down/feather parka. Down, for me, usually works very well over a wide variety of temps, and I don't think fleece/cashmere layers will be warm enough if we run into a cold snap (and we might!) So I may buy this and leave the shell with the too-warm liner at home. (We just don't get heavy rain here, so the shell is perfectly adequate for wet Wyoming days - but it sounds like it wouldn't stand up to an Alaska rain.) I think with cashmere, fleece, rain poncho, and the down coat, I should be able to handle whatever weather we actually encounter. (Of course I am taking gloves too, first thing I do with a new coat is stick a pair in the pockets so I am never without some!)

Thanks for all the help!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you don't want to take this much trouble getting ready for *your* cruise, that is your choice. But this will probably be the only time in my life I get to Alaska and I don't want to miss any of it because I'm uncomfortably cold (or hot).

And looking at pictures of people bundled up on deck in Glacier Bay makes me skeptical of "you don't need" comments.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you don't want to take this much trouble getting ready for *your* cruise, that is your choice. But this will probably be the only time in my life I get to Alaska and I don't want to miss any of it because I'm uncomfortably cold (or hot).

And looking at pictures of people bundled up on deck in Glacier Bay makes me skeptical of "you don't need" comments.

My first cruise to Alaska was going to be "one and done" :D I spent the entire trip sopping wet and freezing cold, so I think you are smart to consider (but not obsess about) your clothing choices. On one of my recent cruises to Alaska I saw a woman who had brought ONLY a very old lacy cardigan as her top layer. :eek:

If you really want to consider a down-fill, I suggest you look at the Patagonia and similar down sweaters. They are work horses, useful in many conditions (I own 7 or 8 of them) and will fit under your waterproof layer when needed.

This is not a "plug" for Patagonia specifically. There are many similar styles from other makers out there too. My fave was a Stormtech one until our dog ripped it open.

http://www.patagonia.ca/product/womens-down-sweater-jacket/84683.html

Thanks. I never mind people telling me what has worked well for them. I check them out (even when they turn out not to come in my size,which often happens) and get a better feel for what I can expect to work for me.

Plus, since I'm not cruising atm, I can at least THINK about cruising. lol

We are going on our first Alaska cruise tour in may/June of this year. I have a Columbia Breathable Rain Jacket and a Light weight puffy like Omni heat jacket also from Columbia(just for glacier viewing because I get cold easily). I am bringing a hooded fleece for warmth under rain jacket. The Columbia things come in women's plus sizes and big men's sizes I think I will be prepared.:)

A lot of the down jackets now come with a packable pouch to fold them in to. As long as you wear something over it (an emergency poncho like a Frogg Togg or even the cheap ones at Walmart) they should work fine. If it gets warm just take it off and put it in the pouch, You could always wear a fleece under it.

> A lot of the down jackets now come with a packable pouch to fold them in to

Not the one I'm probably going to buy, unfortunately. But it occurred to me I could pack some space-saver bags in my carry-along bag to pack my coat into if I don't need it, and also to bring along whatever I'm not wearing. Whatever I take won't do me any good if it's back on the ship.

Best alternative is a hooded windbreaker with a removable warm lining. It fits better and is water-resistant if not positively waterproof. But the lining is actually too warm. I rarely use it because I get so hot in it. I'm considering a light hoodie and/or a warm vest to use instead of the lining, but I'm having trouble finding one I like that comes in a large enough size.

I would bring the hooded windbreaker & a sweatshirt (t-shirt or long t-shirt under - or perhaps a wicking type undershirt below the sweatshirt) instead of the lining since it is too warm for you...

I've watched far too many Alaska cruise videos on youtube from all kinds of people at all times in the season & I have seen the gamut. Shorts to parkas.

I've read on travel blogs about people wishing they had packed more for warmth - "I grabbed hats & gloves on the way out because they were in the hall closet, I wish I had put more thought into cold weather gear." That is not a thought that I want to have after my cruise.

Another thing we need to realize is that everyone feels the cold/wet differently. There is a guy on my train that I have never seen in a jacket, meanwhile I have "all" on my cold weather gear on.

& I keep trying to think about minimalizing, but I am apparently more comfortable with choices.

> Another thing we need to realize is that everyone feels the cold/wet differently.

I think that is important to remember. I absolutely HATE having cold hands but have never found a pair of gloves that keep them warm. Yet I can wear (and be comfortable in) the same jacket from 50s temps down to 20s. My DD, meanwhile, wears sandals without socks 99% of the time. She posted a funny story about bundling up to shovel her car out and my comment was "YOU wore a coat?"

I am in awe of the people that can take just a carry-on for a week cruise. But I'll never be one. For Alaska, I want to make sure I can be comfortable (combining layers) in any temp from 70s to 30s.

And I agree, we need a LIKE button!