NCL Quietly Changes Latitudes Level Qualifications

bhorv67

This is really really crappy. You now need 30 days to get to silver, or 5, 7 day cruises.

I was going to be silver after I complete a cruise coming up at the end of March. Now not so much.

Don't think I'll be cruising NCL anymore.

This is really really crappy. You now need 30 days to get to silver, or 5, 7 day cruises.

I was going to be silver after I complete a cruise coming up at the end of March. Now not so much.

Which line are you going to? Do they have a better loyalty program where you can get to levels faster?

Search through the forum. It was discussed quite a bit.

I don't think "quietly" is the appropriate term. The topic was discussed ad nauseam in January in advance of the changes being implemented on February 3rd.

Just one 10-day cruise in a suite booked as an insider special and you're Silver...easy peasy.

I can't see any perks at any level are worth worrying about,, at least not at any level I will get to in my lifetime. If I had enough time and money to reach the highest level I wouldn't be doing it on a mass market line.

I can't see any perks at any level are worth worrying about,, at least not at any level I will get to in my lifetime. If I had enough time and money to reach the highest level I wouldn't be doing it on a mass market line.

And anyone who does 700 days at sea (or 350 in a suite) in order to get a free 7 day cruise has made a rather dubious decision. :)

It is kind of sucky for those counting on going to their next level, but like others stated.......the perks are not all that outstanding for me to make a switch. I am not cruising with NCL for their latitudes rewards. Those are just an added bonus for us.

When I cruise, I use all different cruise lines because I go for the destination and price. I have one cruise on many lines and I'm not loyal to one line. No big deal. Getting some free water on Carnival, made me happy. I don't know what I can get on NCL but the perk is not why I chose a Baltic cruise.

By my 3rd cruise on NCCL. I couldn't wait to move up. Then I realized there were lots of line that went to lots of places so I just put it out of my mind. As I plan on trying all the lines I will just be at the bottom three tiers forever. That's OK. :D

This has been my experience with the change of the Latitudes Program. I don't rely on it. ;). However, on one of our cruises the cruise consultant asked our opinion if we wanted to see a change, we said yes, that it would be nice. He asked us what we wanted to see different and we discussed it in detail. We said we did not want to see the dinner voucher be by stateroom and not by platinum member. He told us, at the time, that a lot of people did not want that to change in fact he said almost every cruiser he had talked to had said the same thing. NCL says the changes came because they heard their customers well IMHO it does not seem to be the case. I don't cruise for the perks, that is what they are PERKS, and i am sure you are not the only one who is disappointed. I spoke with someone in the Andy Stuart office after i sent an email and she said and i quote " the changes are a try out and we will improve upon it" with that remark i won't hold my breath :D:cool::).

I will continue to cruise NCL for the freestyle and the perks hmmm no so much because quite frankly the last tier " Ambassador" as it is now, is RUBBISH. :evilsmile:

This has been my experience with the change of the Latitudes Program. I don't rely on it. ;). However, on one of our cruises the cruise consultant asked our opinion if we wanted to see a change, we said yes, that it would be nice. He asked us what we wanted to see different and we discussed it in detail. We said we did not want to see the dinner voucher be by stateroom and not by platinum member. He told us, at the time, that a lot of people did not want that to change in fact he said almost every cruiser he had talked to had said the same thing. NCL says the changes came because they heard their customers well IMHO it does not seem to be the case. I don't cruise for the perks, that is what they are PERKS, and i am sure you are not the only one who is disappointed. I spoke with someone in the Andy Stuart office after i sent an email and she said and i quote " the changes are a try out and we will improve upon it" with that remark i won't hold my breath :D:cool::).

I will continue to cruise NCL for the freestyle and the perks hmmm no so much because quite frankly the last tier " Ambassador" as it is now, is RUBBISH. :evilsmile:

I am sure that they got lots of people saying not to make the Platinum meal per room because people assumed that it would be changed to just one meal. The fact that it is two meals for two per room does make it less of a problem for most people, and personally, I appreciate the increased choice.

The big problem, as far as I can see, is that you don't get any more if there are more than two people in the room. I think that it should be increased in that case, even though it doesn't impact me.

If they can resolve that issue then I see that particular change as fairly neutral, with some not liking it and others preferring the added choice. Certainly I would have picked the current situation regarding the platinum meal over the old one.

I am sure that they got lots of people saying not to make the Platinum meal per room because people assumed that it would be changed to just one meal. The fact that it is two meals for two per room does make it less of a problem for most people, and personally, I appreciate the increased choice.

The big problem, as far as I can see, is that you don't get any more if there are more than two people in the room. I think that it should be increased in that case, even though it doesn't impact me.

If they can resolve that issue then I see that particular change as fairly neutral, with some not liking it and others preferring the added choice. Certainly I would have picked the current situation regarding the platinum meal over the old one.

The problem in making the meal per stateroom is a problem for some, look at someones post: "I travel with a friend to get the discounted price on the stateroom instead of paying solo. He happens to be a platinum as well. He has a different eating schedule than i do, I eat early and he eats late. We each enjoy different schedules and activities, with this new system we have to eat together"

i for one think the above scenario is a problem, Why should each person change their plans when they both enjoy Platinum status? I don't think management thought of that. :o :confused:and apparently they don't make exceptions on board.

The problem in making the meal per stateroom is a problem for some, look at someones post: "I travel with a friend to get the discounted price on the stateroom instead of paying solo. He happens to be a platinum as well. He has a different eating schedule than i do, I eat early and he eats late. We each enjoy different schedules and activities, with this new system we have to eat together"

i for one think the above scenario is a problem, Why should each person change their plans when they both enjoy Platinum status? I don't think management thought of that. :o :confused:and apparently they don't make exceptions on board.

Of course there will be individual circumstances where this doesn't work as well for people. I'm sure that we could think of lost of other examples.

That's not my point though.

The biggest concern about going to one per stateroom for many people was that it would cut back on the number of meals you get. It's a subject that has been raised on here a few times, as rumours have gone round that this is what they may do. I have made the point to latitudes staff that I hope they don't make it just one meal per room, and have discussed it with others. I'm sure that latitudes staff are often tome that this is a concern, and many of those comments will be based on people expecting to end up just getting one meal per couple.

The fact that this isn't what has happened means that many people, like me, who did have such concerns are actually either indifferent or pleased about the change. The number of people who expressed that concern therefore has to be treated with a pinch of salt.

I can't imagine making my cruising decisions based on a cruise line's Past Guest Program. There are too many other factors that are way more important to us, like cost, itinerary, the ship itself, and timing, than a free dinner, bag of laundry, priority boarding/tenders, bottle of water, or anything else they may throw in there. I take a look after we book to see what we are eligible for, but to us it is a bonus that is great to get when we sail a line that gives us something but not something we miss when we sail a line that doesn't.

I can't imagine making my cruising decisions based on a cruise line's Past Guest Program. There are too many other factors that are way more important to us, like cost, itinerary, the ship itself, and timing, than a free dinner, bag of laundry, priority boarding/tenders, bottle of water, or anything else they may throw in there. I take a look after we book to see what we are eligible for, but to us it is a bonus that is great to get when we sail a line that gives us something but not something we miss when we sail a line that doesn't.

To me, loyalty should be valued. I've been with the same airline for almost 20 years, same with hotel chain - I travel quite a bit for work. Yes the airlines have devalued their reward programs over the years (honestly, to me I haven't noticed much of a change). Of course cost is the biggest driver of where I'm going to cruise. So far in the last 2 years, NCL has raised their fares significantly and hasn't offered much in return - one big positive would be the UBP. This is a unique offer not seen on other lines, and makes sense (they shouldn't say it's free, it's not - service charges are still a cost).

Just looking around at other lines, Celebrity and Princess are priced below NCL for the same room type over the same dates. Service on these lines appear to surpass NCL. No UBP, but can't have everything.

We'll see how this next cruise goes - we're on the Escape Mar 25. I do have to say though that NCL makes some odd choices in ship design. For as large a ship the Escape is, there's not a lot of pool deck area. Looks like they got the room design better on the Escape than what is on the Epic. Also, water should not be as pricey- I just don't get that.

I'm sure we'll have a great time. Still bummed about the reward point changes.

I agree loyalty should be rewarded. I remember Continental Airlines loyalty program and it was outstanding but those days a long gone. As i said before, i don't cruise for the perks anymore, but it really annoys me how while on board and in the latitudes parties they say " our business is appreciated" which quite frankly i don't see it with their new loyalty program. :cool:.. so i say pick a cruise line, enjoy it, if you find another cruise line with cheaper prices and better itinerary do that as well don't stick with a cruise line because of perks because quite frankly you may be disappointed.

I choose to stay with NCL for now because i like the itineraries and i still get a bang for my buck, specially for transatlantics :):D...

• 10 months later...
It looks like NCL just changed Platinum members from two dinners for two down to one dinner for two. Can anyone confirm?

The perk is now by cabin, not person and each cabin will get 1 dinner for 2 with wine at either Cagney's and LeBistro and 1 dinner (no wine) for 2 at La Cucina or Moderno. So, you are still getting 2 dinners.