NCL Quietly Changes Latitudes Level Qualifications

bhorv67

That is the old page, which shows what used to be given to each person.

The new, correct page states the two different meals available per room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They took away a bottle of wine and probably saved a couple of dollars

They also have restricted what you can order on the platinum benefit meals.

There is no restriction compared to the past Le Bistro perk. It's been the SAME 1 entree, starter and desert for years. They've now added more choices, which I think is a benefit. I've been platinum for about 15 years- when 14 cruises qualified you, and sail about every month.

There is no restriction compared to the past Le Bistro perk. It's been the SAME 1 entree, starter and desert for years. They've now added more choices, which I think is a benefit. I've been platinum for about 15 years- when 14 cruises qualified you, and sail about every month.

That is not correct. For years, I ordered and received the same items every cruise, but after the changes under the new administration, I was told I would be charged if I ordered those same items.

The only restriction I can remember was on entrees that were over a certain price. You are right, only saving a couple of bucks per passenger but that couple of bucks can add up quickly.

The only restriction I can remember was on entrees that were over a certain price. You are right, only saving a couple of bucks per passenger but that couple of bucks can add up quickly.

You used to be able to order multiple apps or desserts as well. For example I sometimes have the soup plus escargot. Before they went a la carte that was all included, but now we have to pay for the soup (if they bother charging it).

You used to be able to order multiple apps or desserts as well. For example I sometimes have the soup plus escargot. Before they went a la carte that was all included, but now we have to pay for the soup (if they bother charging it).

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

Those restrictions are senseless in my opinion, because I can go to the buffet and MDR and eat what I want.

I interpret the restrictions( along with other changes) as managements way of telling me they don't want my business since I am platinum.

It is working since I have greatly reduced the number of cruises I book with NCL.

I can't see any perks at any level are worth worrying about,, at least not at any level I will get to in my lifetime. If I had enough time and money to reach the highest level I wouldn't be doing it on a mass market line.

Exactly the way we feel as well. We are Gold and will never reach platinum, but I haven't seen any real perk from this level.

On our November 2017 cruise on the Pearl we were not charged for any additional apps or sides when using our platinum certificates. We read about the restrictions prior to the cruise, and were curious if we would be charged. Maybe it's at the servers discretion?

Sent from my SM-T357T using Forums mobile app

On our November 2017 cruise on the Pearl we were not charged for any additional apps or sides when using our platinum certificates. We read about the restrictions prior to the cruise, and were curious if we would be charged. Maybe it's at the servers discretion?

Yes, all of these things end up being largely at the servers discretion. We have only actually been charged for the extra app once.

Exactly the way we feel as well. We are Gold and will never reach platinum, but I haven't seen any real perk from this level.

The platinum perks are nice, but certainly not worth going out of your way to earn.

For example, I like Le Bistro but my wife isn’t fussed. Getting a free meal there means I get to go without us having spent any money for it. Nice now we get it, but we wouldn’t particularly miss it. At platinum plus we get a meal with an officer. We’ve only done it once and it was a nice evening. Not sure whether we will do it again in a hurry though.

In my experience, that is the case for most loyalty programs. We don’t usually worry about earning the perks, but enjoy some when we get them. About the only one I would really miss is the free breakfast that I get at a hotel chain, and that’s only really because we don’t really eat enough at breakfast to make it worth paying hotel prices, so having it included removes a potential hassle in finding a snack elsewhere.

My wife and I, both plat plus, will be sailing with two first time cruisers. In order to get more perks we are booking in separate cabins, each of us with a first timer in our cabin. So we get 4 dinners for two and 4 bottles of wine. It is how NCL is asking us to play the game for max results.

My wife and I, both plat plus, will be sailing with two first time cruisers. In order to get more perks we are booking in separate cabins, each of us with a first timer in our cabin. So we get 4 dinners for two and 4 bottles of wine. It is how NCL is asking us to play the game for max results.

I suppose that it all depends on how you look at it.

NCL is clearly not asking anyone to play the game for max results. They would much rather everyone just took the perks that they are given without messing around like that. It's your choice to do so. Many of us really can't be bothered.

If we look at your situation, under the old rules, you would have got two meals for two in Le Bistro (although alternatives were sometimes allowed). Both of those meals would include wine. That is what you would have got however you booked the rooms.

Under the new rules, if you booked the traditional way then you would still have got two meals, but with an extended choice of venues. You would lose one bottle of wine though. How much that bottle of wine bothers you depends on your circumstances, but with the UBP being offered as a promo, it is certainly less of an issue for many people. Personally, I prefer it, but some don't

By booking as you have, you will now get 4 meals for two. That is double what you would have previously got. To be clear, booking how you have is not required in order to get the number of meals that you would have got previously. By giving the perks per room, rather than per person, NCL have introduced a loophole which can be used to give you more.

Of course, you do need to book as you have to get the same number of bottles of wine (in fact, one extra when you consider the bottle of wine in the room at the start of the cruise.

But then again, we have to remember that they added Cagney's to the mix, which wasn't there before and that is a big plus in my book.

It is not 30 days, it is 30 points. Many cruise you can still get double points. Cruise wisely.

Although it could be argued that if you let your choice of cruises be affected by the promise of a cocktail party and a small discount on photos, spa treatments and excursions then you haven't cruised very wisely. :)

In the past, when I booked solo, I was able to get them to "split" my Platinum coupons so that I could get 4 meals in the Bistro (or lower), for myself. On my last cruise, they said they could no longer do that...I would just get 2 meals. I am wondering if I could invite someone not in my cabin to share those meals with me, as I would have, if they were booked in my cabin....and further...if I did that with another Platinum solo, we would get 4 meals for two....

In the past, when I booked solo, I was able to get them to "split" my Platinum coupons so that I could get 4 meals in the Bistro (or lower), for myself. On my last cruise, they said they could no longer do that...I would just get 2 meals. I am wondering if I could invite someone not in my cabin to share those meals with me, as I would have, if they were booked in my cabin....and further...if I did that with another Platinum solo, we would get 4 meals for two....

You might be able to, but when they swipe your card, they will see you are cruising solo.

Yes, you can do that. People do it often.

Of course you never know what may happen, and a member of staff may have an issue, but I have yet to read of anyone actually having trouble doing that.

You might be able to, but when they swipe your card, they will see you are cruising solo.

But the question is....would that matter...if the coupon says "Dinner for Two" on it? I have never seen one that says "Dinner for One".....

:confused:

On my December cruise, the voucher said on each that it was a meal for 2. Someone said that they were able to invite another person and used the voucher for both of them, but since I didn't do it, I can't say for sure.

The website says you get two meals for one if sailing solo, so I would check the vouchers to see what they show.

The vouchers still say meals for two. I think that the website is typically badly worded, and is trying to state that it is only 2 meals (ie you can’t split them to make 4 meals for 1).

In the past, when I booked solo, I was able to get them to "split" my Platinum coupons so that I could get 4 meals in the Bistro (or lower), for myself.

Just as an aside, I think that you are misremembering the previous situation.

Yes, they did allow you to split the coupons under the old rules, to give two meals for one per voucher. However, as you were solo you only got one voucher, so in total you just had the two meals.

Under the new rules you get the two meals without having to do anything. If you do find another platinum to share with then you wil double the number of meals you get compared to the old rules.

But the question is....would that matter...if the coupon says "Dinner for Two" on it? I have never seen one that says "Dinner for One".....

:confused:

Given that all passengers have paid for meals I don't think it will be an issue, as Keith mentioned. We know they overlook things most of the time, but it depends on the staff member. But I am sure you will be pleasant to them, and they will be pleasant back.