DAWN, JADE or PEARL?

Lyn1Lyn

Jade and Pearl (Jewel Class) are sister ships and one generation newer than Dawn.

The Dawn was refurbished in May 2017:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/dawn-refurbishment&lang=

The Pearl just completed refurbishment on Feb 27, 2017

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7573

The Jade is scheduled for refurbishment in March 2017.

Given these facts, I would suggest you choose either Dawn or Pearl.

If it were my decision, I would choose the Pearl. The Pearl is famous for having the first bowling alley at sea. I really like the Jewel Class ships a lot. I think they are a good size and I especially like The Haven on these ships which is very, very special. The pool deck is larger, the spa is larger (and worth getting a thermal suite pass). Pearl was built for Freestyle dining. Also going out of the NOLA port is a breeze. Fly in a day ahead and spend the night at the Monteleone Hotel (get the breakfast included package) - eat at one of the famous NOLA restaurants GW Fin's is my current favorite, but there's also the classics: Gallatoires, Arnauds, Brennan's, Acme Oyster Company, Muriel's and so many other great ones. Take a taxi to the port the next morning. So easy!

SuiteTraveler, I am not very up to date with the older ships but did all three got the same refurbishments or is there a large difference between the updated ships?

Since I'm unfamiliar with Norwegian ships, could you tell me why? Thanks!

Save

Design is the worst in the fleet

The forward viewing lounge on deck 12 was removed .

And the aft. is for kids??

So, No great outdoors area.

I look at itinerary, and the length of the cruise before the ship. We have never sailed the Jade (always wanted to), but we have sailed the Dawn (pre refurb), and the Pearl. We liked the Pearl the best of all of them (look at my signature).

If you can do it, both the Jade and the Pearl have 9-11 day cruises that would be a blast to go on....food for thought! :D

Hope this helps!

Went on the Dawn for a new year eve cruise. Like to use the weight room while at sea and then a great steam room visit. This is impossible on the Dawn unless you pay the spa price. Weight room is open to all but not the steam room. May not be important to all but a few may enjoy a steam room visit without paying for it like most cruise ships.

I've been on all three of these ships, multiple times on each. IF the ship is all that matters, I'd go Pearl, Jade then Dawn.

But the only thing that is my priority is the itinerary. I don't care at all about the ship, (on the so so Sun, again, next week :) )

We have been on both the Pearl and the Jade. Our favorite areas on both ships were the Spinnaker lounge and the Great Outdoors. The Dawn looks beautiful after her update, but I would not want to cruise without these areas. In addition to the bowling alley, the Pearl also has a rock wall. We are booked on her again in 2018 out of NOLA. Love the itinerary.

I'd do some research on the 3 ships, videos and such that tour the ship so you can decide.

They are all mid size ships, different itineraries and can leave from different ports.

I love the bigger ships personally, so I wouldn't let someone else decide which ship I'd pick.

Go on any of them and enjoy your vacation!