NCL raised their requirements for tiers, will Princess Follow

cruzsnooze

We prefer to do longer cruises so we've had to climb the Princess ladder the slow way - by nights not number of cruises. It always amazes us to hear people bragging about how many 3-4 night sampler cruises they did in order to get the benefits.

One big problem came when Princess changed qualification from "number of cruise days" to "Number of days or number of cruises." So now it takes 150 days onboard to be Elite or, ta-daa, as few as 15. I'm not even sure how that benefits Princess' bottom line.

This is exactly what I was thinking... as in be careful what you wish for in the sense that it doesn't help in the short term to create higher levels unless you take away the most valued perks from the Elites and only give them to the new higher and smaller tier. If you increase the number of days or cruise credits or whatever to make each tier, but grandfather in everyone who already has it, it is going to take awhile before the number of Elites who stop cruising outpaces the number of cruisers becoming Elite in any meaningful way.

NCL gives it's top tier one complimentary dinner at a specialty restaurant. If Princess decided to add a higher tier I believe this would be a good perk. That would not take away anything from those in a lower tier.

I sincerely believe 15 cruise credits to be Elite tier is too easy, especially when you could earn 3 cruise credits on one cruise. I could technically take 5 one night cruises (solo in a suite) to become elite.

I am Elite and I have never seen "cutting in line" listed as an Elite perk. Elites supposedly get priority when making dinner reservations but that is not what I would call cutting in line.

Elites do not receive priority dinner reservations.

Priority dinner reservations used to be a suite amenity. For example, I have made reservations in the anytime MDR for 6:30 or 7:00 pm - even though they would not take reservations at those times for passengers not in a suite.

Priority dinner reservations is no longer listed on the suite amenities flyer. I suspect it has been superseded by Club Class dining.

Elites do not receive priority dinner reservations.

Priority dinner reservations used to be a suite amenity. For example, I have made reservations in the anytime MDR for 6:30 or 7:00 pm - even though they would not take reservations at those times for passengers not in a suite.

Priority dinner reservations is no longer listed on the suite amenities flyer. I suspect it has been superseded by Club Class dining.

If it were true the wait time between 6 & 7 PM would probably be 2 + hours.:D:cool:

It's really simple elite passenger should be allowed to eat with club class passengers.

Why should a first time cruiser get better benefits for dining?

long cruiser

Ummm, because they have paid more for their cabin and a special tier of service/perks. :confused:

So now it takes 150 days onboard to be Elite or, ta-daa, as few as 15.

Yeah, really 5 but it would cost a fair amount to do that where as I have heard of couples booking the Vancouver-Seattle overnight cruise in an inside single occupancy each so they each get 2 credits and then leave one cabin empty. I have seen this cruise as low as $39 so they can each get $50 Shareholder benefit this way if they each own shares. Cruise is free and they each move up 2 credits at a time. This sort of thing really is quite annoying as our average is just over 10 days per cruise credit.

I still think that ultimately Princess will add another level (or two). Like any Loyalty Program, they should always have something for people to be pushing towards achieving. Sure, it isn't broke the way it is but the additional rewards really don't even need to be that significant.

Eliminating the free laundry for Elites would likely see crew members forced to walk the plank, BUT....the laundry perk is very generous and sometimes abused and overused. A lower more reasonable laundry allowance for Elites would upset passengers but I don't think that any lives would be lost. That would allow "Elite Plus" to offer either unlimited laundry or at least a larger laundry allowance than the current Elites get which would be a valuable "Elite Plus" Perk and something that Elites would strive for. It would most likely reduce the total amount of Passengers Laundry that Princess does as well.

I used to think that the Internet benefit was very generous (compared to other cruise lines) and it still is especially when you get it after just 5 cruise credits. It too could be a smaller allowance at Platinum level allowing room for a larger allowance for Elite or "Elite Plus". BUT, the way everything is heading with more and more Internet access being a necessity rather than a luxury, it is likely too late to go that route. But with improving technology they may be able to bump the allowance for "Elite Plus" without negative consequences to others and little cost to Princess.

Just my thoughts on the topic....

AE_Collector

Yeah, really 5 but it would cost a fair amount to do that where as I have heard of couples booking the Vancouver-Seattle overnight cruise in an inside single occupancy each so they each get 2 credits and then leave one cabin empty. I have seen this cruise as low as $39 so they can each get $50 Shareholder benefit this way if they each own shares. Cruise is free and they each move up 2 credits at a time. This sort of thing really is quite annoying as our average is just over 10 days per cruise credit.

I still think that ultimately Princess will add another level (or two). Like any Loyalty Program, they should always have something for people to be pushing towards achieving. Sure, it isn't broke the way it is but the additional rewards really don't even need to be that significant.

Eliminating the free laundry for Elites would likely see crew members forced to walk the plank, BUT....the laundry perk is very generous and sometimes abused and overused. A lower more reasonable laundry allowance for Elites would upset passengers but I don't think that any lives would be lost. That would allow "Elite Plus" to offer either unlimited laundry or at least a larger laundry allowance than the current Elites get which would be a valuable "Elite Plus" Perk and something that Elites would strive for. It would most likely reduce the total amount of Passengers Laundry that Princess does as well.

I used to think that the Internet benefit was very generous (compared to other cruise lines) and it still is especially when you get it after just 5 cruise credits. It too could be a smaller allowance at Platinum level allowing room for a larger allowance for Elite or "Elite Plus". BUT, the way everything is heading with more and more Internet access being a necessity rather than a luxury, it is likely too late to go that route. But with improving technology they may be able to bump the allowance for "Elite Plus" without negative consequences to others and little cost to Princess.

Just my thoughts on the topic....

AE_Collector

I've been saying the same thing for years now & everyone on this board has been against it from the first mention.

As you say, there's nothing wrong with having an upper level to shoot for and I like your idea about the laundry.

How about an upper elite category for return tender service at any port. This wouldn't slow down the line for everyone much at all and wouldn't cost Princess a dime. There's nothing like a carrot to entice people to attain another level.

Knowing Princess they'll probably sell this idea for $$ before they''ll provide it for free with any class. ;)

I've been saying the same thing for years now & everyone on this board has been against it from the first mention.

As you say, there's nothing wrong with having an upper level to shoot for and I like your idea about the laundry.

How about an upper elite category for return tender service at any port. This wouldn't slow down the line for everyone much at all and wouldn't cost Princess a dime. There's nothing like a carrot to entice people to attain another level.

Knowing Princess they'll probably sell this idea for $$ before they''ll provide it for free with any class. ;)

Before offering priority return tender service for an upper elite category, they would be more likely to offer it for suites. Suites currently have one-day laundry, and that is great on those cruises with many elites with elite laundry slowed to three or four days.

Princess needs to offer perks for suites that elites don't get in order to sell suites to elites. Currently many of the suite benefits do not provide much to elites.

Many people seem to forget the purpose of the Captain's Circle benefits. It's not to reward customers. It's to sell more cruises. That's why they added Ruby, because they are trying to get the people with a few Princess cruises to come back to Princess. They don't have much incentive to add a super-elite category, because the people who would quality are already booking Princess cruises. They need to attract the people back who have tried Princess but aren't dedicated to it.

Repeat passenger benefits are gifts given to entice customer loyalty & as you said Princess ships nearly always sail soldout.

If Princess adds a level similar to NCL's Ambassador (700+ points) that could add some benefits to those Elite Plus passengers. I'll never attain such a lofty number of days but apparently those passengers continue to sail Princess with the current benefits so I don't see Princess needing to entice them any further. It'd be generous to add a few new benefits for those passengers however I don't see Princess following NCL in anything.

Many people seem to forget the purpose of the Captain's Circle benefits. It's not to reward customers. It's to sell more cruises. That's why they added Ruby, because they are trying to get the people with a few Princess cruises to come back to Princess. They don't have much incentive to add a super-elite category, because the people who would quality are already booking Princess cruises. They need to attract the people back who have tried Princess but aren't dedicated to it.

I agree that the purpose of any loyalty program is to generate passenger loyalty & increased income. With so many repeat passengers filling ships there's no incentive for offering additional benefits. The only way I see them adding additional benefits is if other cruise lines have far superior programs. However none are overall better for me nor do they offer me a better cruise experience than with Princess.

I think the primary reason they added Ruby was to increase trip insurance sales by offering the free Platinum upgrade to Princess Vacation Protection insurance.

Before offering priority return tender service for an upper elite category, they would be more likely to offer it for suites. Suites currently have one-day laundry, and that is great on those cruises with many elites with elite laundry slowed to three or four days.

Princess needs to offer perks for suites that elites don't get in order to sell suites to elites. Currently many of the suite benefits do not provide much to elites.

I agree with everything you say but wouldn't it be nice to recognize an upper Elite category?

Some simple things like priority tender return service, increased internet speed, reserved seating for shows, etc.

Items that cost Princess nothing but would make that upper Elite category really special. After all if it's set at 75 or 100 cruise credits how many people would be in that class anyway.....a handful at most.

I agree with everything you say but wouldn't it be nice to recognize an upper Elite category?

Some simple things like priority tender return service, increased internet speed, reserved seating for shows, etc.

Items that cost Princess nothing but would make that upper Elite category really special. After all if it's set at 75 or 100 cruise credits how many people would be in that class anyway.....a handful at most.

Very good point! Absolutely agree !!!

Some simple things like priority tender return service, increased internet speed Princess does not have different Internet speeds, so there is no way to offer a faster speed to anybody , reserved seating for shows great if you want to sit in that reserved section, but no benefit if you prefer a different location, etc.

see comments in red

Originally posted by floridalover5623 I agree with everything you say but wouldn't it be nice to recognize an upper Elite category?

Some simple things like priority tender return service, increased internet speed
Princess does not have different Internet speeds, so there is no way to offer a faster speed to anybody
, reserved seating for shows
great if you want to sit in that reserved section, but no benefit if you prefer a different location
, etc.

Items that cost Princess
nothing
but would make that upper Elite category really special. After all if it's set at 75 or 100 cruise credits how many people would be in that class anyway.....a handful at most.

see comments in red

see comments in red

They do have different internet speeds but it's not advertised as something you can purchase. Next time you're on any ship take a look at how fast the internet manager can download a web page compared to your speed. Big difference.

They could very easily have reserved covers to the seats in the show lounge. You could select your seat the first night & unless you called to cancel it for a particular show it would be held. Something just like Club Class dining.

Of course this is all a pipe dream. They sell the services before they'll give them as a perk. :cool:

If they want to make a new "Plutonium" or "Depleted Uranium" level then fine. I don't care. Reward the uber cruisers. I don't think they will do so though as they already sail completely full. They really don't have an incentive to offer further perks. Why Princess would change just because NCL changed is beyond me.