NCL raised their requirements for tiers, will Princess Follow

cruzsnooze

When one mass market line changes something to benefit their bottom line the others usually follow. Princess has too many Elites and upping the number of nights or number of cruises to reach elite would be welcome as long as they grandfather thoses who are already elite in.

When one mass market line changes something to benefit their bottom line the others usually follow. Princess has too many Elites and upping the number of nights or number of cruises to reach elite would be welcome as long as they grandfather thoses who are already elite in.

I wouldn't welcome it! We're working on Elite.....so that carrot is dangling right in front of our noses....

As I read the NCL changes they added two new higher tier levels and increased benefits at all existing levels.

What changes to the NCL program did you not like?

Anyone recall a few years ago when Princess slipped that Ruby level in between Gold and Platinum. I was one of those folks that was "upgraded" to Ruby by default because of where we were between Gold and Platinum. Anyway, it isn't unheard of for even Princess to make changes to their loyalty program. I think for long time cruisers, another level between Platinum and Elite or a level beyond Elite with some extra benefits, might be welcome. The issue isn't if it would be good for Princess to do this, the issue is execution and working to ensure that loyal customers don't feel as if they have been slighted.

As I read the NCL changes they added two new higher tier levels and increased benefits at all existing levels.

What changes to the NCL program did you not like?

They increased the threshold points marginally (+4?) and removed the extra point per night for booking over 9 months out, otherwise the changes were not really disadvantageous. They grandfathered in people's current Latitude status as well where necessary.

They increased the threshold points marginally (+4?) and removed the extra point per night for booking over 9 months out, otherwise the changes were not really disadvantageous. They grandfathered in people's current Latitude status as well where necessary.

Increasing the number of cruises or nights always upsets people who were very near the next tier but it happens. I was only one cruise away from NCL's top tier but since I sail much more with Princess I won't let it bother me.

We have 600+ nights and 40+ cruises with Princess, so will probably not be directly negatively impacted if any changes are made. For me, the problem would be if more people are given perks that are already overloaded. things like the internet, priority tendering and priority embarkation and debarkation. At times these are almost worthless with so many people getting them on some cruises.

We have 600+ nights and 40+ cruises with Princess, so will probably not be directly negatively impacted if any changes are made. For me, the problem would be if more people are given perks that are already overloaded. things like the internet, priority tendering and priority embarkation and debarkation. At times these are almost worthless with so many people getting them on some cruises.

I have read threads and heard personally that people with status like yours, feel they "deserve" more perks and better embarkation. I overheard someone in the embarkation lounge one cruise, that they felt "not appreciated" because they had to sit in the lounge with "newly platinum" with only 6 cruises vs their 75. It has been suggested that Princess make an Elite Plus status for those with over a certain number of cruise. I can't argue that.

We have 600+ nights and 40+ cruises with Princess, so will probably not be directly negatively impacted if any changes are made. For me, the problem would be if more people are given perks that are already overloaded. things like the internet, priority tendering and priority embarkation and debarkation. At times these are almost worthless with so many people getting them on some cruises.[/quot

There are too many elites now which dilutes the perk considerably. On some sailing we read on this board how elites couldn't get their laundry done or use their tender priority perk. A new level will not help but hurt this situation. Elite could start at 20 cruises not 15 to relieve the over crowding.

Why would Princess follow NCL about anything?

The ships sail full, there are very few rock bottom price sales.

If something isn't broken, why would you fix it?

NCL is a mass market line just like Princess and they all seem to follow each other. All the mass market lines copied NCL's concept of anytime dining but Princess didn't discontinue their traditional dining giving choices.

It's broken with over crowding and would save Princess money to not give free laundry, discounted drinks (happy hour suite / elite) or any other perks to so many people.

[/quot

There are too many elites now which dilutes the perk considerably. On some sailing we read on this board how elites couldn't get their laundry done or use their tender priority perk. A new level will not help but hurt this situation. Elite could start at 20 cruises not 15 to relieve the over crowding.

I would make Elite 51 cruises or 501 days and not grandfather anyone in who did not have that many. Tough I know but otherwise the perks are getting too many users. Won't happen I know.

I don't see Princess doing anything just because NCL does, but of course Anytime Dining came like that so who knows? Its a pity great production shows don't, but they have been improving marginally recently.

Edited by Griller

...It has been suggested that Princess make an Elite Plus status for those with over a certain number of cruise...

Princess already recognise the "Most Travelled Passengers" with either a Captain's Lunch or a special Cocktail Party. This isn't really a Captain's Circle tier as such, as it is dependent on how well travelled your fellow passengers are whether you meet the "cut" for these events.

From 25 cruises onwards there is a bit of OBC - starting at $25 and increasing gradually to $100, that gives us a free excursion or something else, and is nice to receive.

I'd certainly be very happy with a few more "Elite Plus" benefits. Increased internet minutes, Sabatini breakfast, priority table reservations etc would all be nice...

I overheard someone in the embarkation lounge one cruise, that they felt "not appreciated" because they had to sit in the lounge with "newly platinum" with only 6 cruises vs their 75.

I hope I don't live long enough to start taking myself and my importance in the universe that seriously.

I hope I don't live long enough to start taking myself and my importance in the universe that seriously.

I couldn't help overhearing the conversation, but the word "entitled" came to mind. I think I have 70 days or something like that, I am not even considering making Elite, too much stress.....and money

I couldn't help overhearing the conversation, but the word "entitled" came to mind. I think I have 70 days or something like that, I am not even considering making Elite, too much stress.....and money

Yep, "entitled" is the word. :)

Yep, "entitled" is the word. :)

I just don't know what the word entitlement has to do with tier levels in a loyalty program. Hotel, Airlines, grocery stores and cruises to mention a few all have loyalty programs. My post was directed towards wondering if Princess would require more nights/cruises to achieve their tiers like NCL just did.

From 25 cruises onwards there is a bit of OBC - starting at $25 and increasing gradually to $100, that gives us a free excursion or something else, and is nice to receive.

It starts with your 21st cruise credit, not your 25th cruise.

I just don't know what the word entitlement has to do with tier levels in a loyalty program. Hotel, Airlines, grocery stores and cruises to mention a few all have loyalty programs. My post was directed towards wondering if Princess would require more nights/cruises to achieve their tiers like NCL just did.

The word "entitled" was not meant to "label" or offend anyone here. I have seen AND heard people on board, and I am sure a lot of you have too, those "upper tier" people who demand and expect crew to be their be all to end all while they are on the ship. Example, entering the cruise terminal, in front of us, there was a group of people who started the party early, and a man in the group, loudly proclaimed for all to hear...."he was in the building, he is Elite and he was going to be waited on hand and foot"

Why would Princess follow NCL about anything?

The ships sail full, there are very few rock bottom price sales.

If something isn't broken, why would you fix it?

I agree although many cruise lines added anytime dining started by NCL. However I don't see Princess following any of NCL's new changes.

Checking their Latitudes benefits there are a few things better than with the Captain's Circle but others that are worse. I not only prefer the Princess benefits but definitely prefer the Princess cruise experience which is my top consideration when booking a cruise.

Repeat passenger benefits are gifts given to entice customer loyalty & as you said Princess ships nearly always sail soldout. Combinable OBCs is a major Princess benefit available to all passengers which adds to our cruise's enjoyment.

If Princess adds a level similar to NCL's Ambassador (700+ points) that could add some benefits to those Elite Plus passengers. I'll never attain such a lofty number of days but apparently those passengers continue to sail Princess with the current benefits so I don't see Princess needing to entice them any further. It'd be generous to add a few new benefits for those passengers however I don't see Princess following NCL in anything.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The word "entitled" was not meant to "label" or offend anyone here. I have seen AND heard people on board, and I am sure a lot of you have too, those "upper tier" people who demand and expect crew to be their be all to end all while they are on the ship. Example, entering the cruise terminal, in front of us, there was a group of people who started the party early, and a man in the group, loudly proclaimed for all to hear...."he was in the building, he is Elite and he was going to be waited on hand and foot"

I understand your experiences however while that may apply to some Elite level passengers, I've rarely seen it happen.

I've seen just as many first time Princess passengers be demanding & offensive to crew. The majority of the elite level passengers I've met were not demanding passengers but ones who greatly respected the crew.

I think entitled passengers are more based on their personality than their repeat passenger level. Jerks like you heard are idiots & that's not necessarily determined by their Captains Circle level.

Edited by Astro Flyer