Multiple Device Chargers

Jinglesbella

Does Princess allow multiple device chargers, where I can charge phone, tablet, etc in one device? When I sailed on Norwegian, we were not allowed to bring power strips. Are they treated the same way?

Yes just as it's not a "surge protector" type device.

You can bring a multi strip with plugs only, just no surge protection.

Good info and a long thread on this here......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376178&highlight=surge+protector

As Princess begins to transition over to Medallion usage, people will become more and more dependent on USB charged devices, so multi-charging adapters are going to become essential (until cabin outlets are fitted with built-in USB charging ports as many hotels have done.)

Does Princess allow multiple device chargers, where I can charge phone, tablet, etc in one device? When I sailed on Norwegian, we were not allowed to bring power strips. Are they treated the same way?

Do you realize that chargers have become standardized for cell phones and tablets? My husband and I bring one charger for 2 phones and 2 tablets. Unless you have some different hardware, just check the male end of the charger and if it is the same as any other, it will work on all of the devices.

This post from a cruise ship chief engineer explains why it's essential to not have a surge protected device.

Inexpensive power strips are generally fine. Those with on/off switches are fine. If the packaging or the fine print on the back mentions things like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltages", then it is surge protected. If these are not mentioned, then it won't be.

There is also a lot of mis-direction with regards to multi-USB chargers. Many manufacturers claim their devices are surge protected, when in fact they are "voltage regulated". If the multi-USB charger does not have a 3-pin plug (no ground pin), then it is not surge protected, since a surge protector needs a path to ground, not relying on the "neutral". Hopefully, yuccaman can help me with this, this is based on as much information from the manufacturers as I can get a hold of.

I tend to harp on this subject because I have fought shipboard fires, and have trained crew in fire prevention, and the last thing I want to see is a general fire on a cruise ship, so if I can train the passengers in fire prevention as well, we are all ahead of the game.

Thankfully I never had to use my flight deck & below deck Navy firefighting training like "chengkp75" but it graphically taught me the dangers of shipboard fires.

Princess has a safety letter in our Cruise Personalizer about surge protected devices being prohibited.

https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/Safety_Information.pdf

Yes just as it's not a "surge protector" type device.

You can bring a multi strip with plugs only, just no surge protection.

Good info and a long thread on this here......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376178&highlight=surge+protector

Thank you for the quick response and reference to the above message. I have now ordered a multi charger that is not a surge protector.:halo:

I have brought a power strip w/ surge protection on every cruise And i have never had an issue.

Read this discussion & you'll discover that while you have never had an issue it's prohibited & is a dangerous fire risk! :rolleyes:

Not getting caught doesn't make it the safe thing to do. Read about the dangers because it's irresponsible to say that it's okay because you have never had an issue. :eek:

As Princess begins to transition over to Medallion usage, people will become more and more dependent on USB charged devices, so multi-charging adapters are going to become essential (until cabin outlets are fitted with built-in USB charging ports as many hotels have done.)

Please enlighten me...

Do the Medallions require charging? I was under the impression Medallions function virtually the same as the Walt Disney World MagicBands which contain an RFID chip and do not require charging.

Thanks...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Please enlighten me...

Do the Medallions require charging? I was under the impression Medallions function virtually the same as the Walt Disney World MagicBands which contain an RFID chip and do not require charging.

Thanks...

No. The medallions do not requie charging. The medallion will have internal, non-rechargeable batteries that should last a couple years. But the "compass" feature of the system will interface with your personal devices such as tablets and phones. The medallion is what the ship uses to "detect" you. But it is largely useless for the wearer other than opening your cabin door or charging things to your cabin. The rest of the functionality of the balance of the system such as booking dinner reservations, spa treatments, schedule show times, remotely order cocktails, etc. will all be done through the "compass" which is an intranet system accessed through your mobile device. So the system contemplates a medallion on your wrist and a mobile device in your hand.

I recently invested in a travel plug converter with two built in 2.1 amp USB outlets. Many electronic chargers (e.g., digital camera, cell phone, laptop) can support both US (110V) and European (220V) inputs, read the tiny print on the chargers to check for compatibility.

A travel plug converter gives me the option to use the 220V compatible chargers PLUS charge via USB off the converter. Instead of packing a power strip I pack the small converter (and it saves me from needing to carry separate Wall->USB charger cubes) and the USB cables for my gadgets [e.g., 1 lightening cable, 1 micro USB cable]). Being able to use the european plugs usually results in an extra plug being available and being able to power 2 USB cables off the "extra" outlet also is plenty to keep all my gadgets juiced. Last cruise (albeit on X, not Princess) I left my laptop plugged in on the 110V outlet, and charged the phones off the 220V travel plug's USB outlets, while charging my digital camera battery on the European->US converter spot on the travel plug.

I'm not brave enough to try... but allegedly you can also charge a cell phone off the shaver plugs in the bathroom.

The shaver plugs are low powered plugs that are on a very light fuse/breaker to reduce risk of electrocution in the event the plugged in item ends up in a water filled sink/tub. What a GFCI outlet is used for in most up to code US homes.

Please enlighten me...

Thanks...

Please enlighten me.What are the Medallions? I picture a medallion as a round disc, but apparently that is not what they are?

I take a 3 foot extension cord with three outlets and a duel USB wall charger.

Tony

No. The medallions do not requie charging. The medallion will have internal, non-rechargeable batteries that should last a couple years. But the "compass" feature of the system will interface with your personal devices such as tablets and phones.

Thank you for the explanation...

The big problem with Princess outlets is that they are too close together and generally have a light switch as part of the gang. Often two chargers cannot be plugged in at the same time. We use a 1' splitter to get around this. Example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXOAXJB?psc=1 Bought one of these with four outlets, but it is pretty heavy.

For those ships that have the 220v outlet (Regal does; Coral/Island don't) it isn't a bad idea to take an adapter. Since most chargers will run on 220, you don't need the heavy transformer. Ships all have a 220 plug under the bed or dresser, but these can be hard to get to. All ships have an extra outlet by the TV and since they have gone to LED panels it is usually fairly easy to get to on older ships that used tube type TVs.

Edited by LeeW
more info

Read this discussion & you'll discover that while you have never had an issue it's prohibited & is a dangerous fire risk! :rolleyes:

Not getting caught doesn't make it the safe thing to do. Read about the dangers because it's irresponsible to say that it's okay because you have never had an issue. :eek:

You would think if they posed that much of a fire risk that Princess would more proactive in notifying passengers about the problem. When checking luggage they pass just about anything. Most passengers have never heard about them.

You would think if they posed that much of a fire risk that Princess would more proactive in notifying passengers about the problem. When checking luggage they pass just about anything. Most passengers have never heard about them.

I also doubt whether the Princess staff tasked with the inspection can visually distinguish if it has surge protection or not, without any marking or labels indicating such feature.

It says no surge protectors in the FAQ prohibited items and someone else posted the safety letter in your check-in package that clearly states "The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms."

I can't remember for sure, but I almost think I remember them also being noted via pictures somewhere too...

Do you realize that chargers have become standardized for cell phones and tablets? My husband and I bring one charger for 2 phones and 2 tablets. Unless you have some different hardware, just check the male end of the charger and if it is the same as any other, it will work on all of the devices.

I bring one for our phones and my Kindle. I have a separate one for my Ipad since the male end is different.

The big problem with Princess outlets is that they are too close together and generally have a light switch as part of the gang. Often two chargers cannot be plugged in at the same time. We use a 1' splitter to get around this. Example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXOAXJB?psc=1 Bought one of these with four outlets, but it is pretty heavy.

You are right about this. The desk outlets would be much more useful if the receptacles were on the outside and the lamp switch and phone jack in the middle. I would think this arrangement could easily be made even to the present fixture. Unrelated, but why does Princess use those annoying push-on/push-off light switches? The bathroom and desk switch are normal toggle switches.

You are right about this. The desk outlets would be much more useful if the receptacles were on the outside and the lamp switch and phone jack in the middle. I would think this arrangement could easily be made even to the present fixture. Unrelated, but why does Princess use those annoying push-on/push-off light switches? The bathroom and desk switch are normal toggle switches.

I can imagine the work the ship's electrician would have to rewire 1000 outlets on the ship. Haven't taken the cover off to see if the plugs could just be moved around (and have no plans to do so). As I recall the cabins are built as a unit and plugged into the sides of the ship, so even the shipyard doesn't actually do any wiring except connecting the cabin to the ship.

Did have one problem with that receptacle design. Often the phone sits right next to the outlets and the steward page button is right where the wires hang. Have accidentally paged him many times during is short non-duty break.

It says no surge protectors in the FAQ prohibited items and someone else posted the safety letter in your check-in package that clearly states "The use of extension cords fitted with surge protection devices are prohibited in staterooms."

I can't remember for sure, but I almost think I remember them also being noted via pictures somewhere too...

I'm sure it's posted as you say but just how many people take the time to read that information? Maybe 2 dozen or so on every cruise???

Perhaps a better place to inform passengers would be at the muster drill.

I suspect there are literally a hundred of them being used on every sailing.

We'll never know for sure.

I can imagine the work the ship's electrician would have to rewire 1000 outlets on the ship. Haven't taken the cover off to see if the plugs could just be moved around (and have no plans to do so). As I recall the cabins are built as a unit and plugged into the sides of the ship, so even the shipyard doesn't actually do any wiring except connecting the cabin to the ship.

Did have one problem with that receptacle design. Often the phone sits right next to the outlets and the steward page button is right where the wires hang. Have accidentally paged him many times during is short non-duty break.

What ship is that on?