Mattress Topper

Received the following from Sulay, Access Advocate regarding mattress topper on Freedom: "Thank you for contacting the Access Department. All beds in our fleet have double mattress toppers and we no longer provide the egg crate mattress for sanitary reasons."

Wondering if all mattresses really have the toppers. Or maybe I'll buy a cheap one at Walmart and leave it on the ship when I leave.

Cindy

I requested them on Oasis last year, and I believe had them in both rooms. Requested again this year and was told they'd be there. We'll see in June.

Funny story, I went and found the email from last year so I'd have the email address. In reading through it, spell check changed mattress topper to mistress topper. Surprised I didn't get an email back on that one. My wife got a kick out of it.

• 4 months later...

We requested one on our 12 day Anthem cruise last fall. Our cabin steward said they do not have them anymore so he offered to put extra comforters under us. I think we had 4 and it made zero difference. It was the worst 12 days of non sleep ever on a cruise ship. We both felt like we were sleeping on the floor of the cabin. The mattress was like a brick. Next time, we are taking our own mattress topper. It's a shame that a new ship had such crappy mattresses. It's not just us either, many others said they felt the same, did not enjoy the mattresses. 😣

Like a previous poster - I bought the Klymit Mattress Pad from Amazon and never have to worry about it again. In fact, I rarely even wait to see if I need it - I just blow it up as soon as I get in my stateroom (likes about 5-6 breaths) and put it under all the bedding myself. I think on my next cruise I may actually ask the Stateroom attendant to put it on for me though :-)

We were also told that they were no longer providing the egg crate toppers (Anthem). The beds on Anthem are weird: when you first lie down it feels ok...but after an hour or two of sleeping on it, it seems hard as a rock.

We heard random people on the ship complaining about the hard beds. Definitely bring your own topper if you think this will bother you.

Like a previous poster - I bought the Klymit Mattress Pad from Amazon and never have to worry about it again. In fact, I rarely even wait to see if I need it - I just blow it up as soon as I get in my stateroom (likes about 5-6 breaths) and put it under all the bedding myself. I think on my next cruise I may actually ask the Stateroom attendant to put it on for me though :-)

Thank you! Never would have thought of this! It's in my Amazon cart!

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=jeaniemmiller&date=8-10-2018&text=Alaska%20party%20of%206&ship=Radiance%20of%20the%20Seas

If I am not flying, I always bring my own egg crate. Just roll it up and put plastic over it.....use ribbon to tie it. Lightweight.....easy to carry....don't trust RC for their makeshift padding. On the Grandeur......you better bring a egg crate because the beds are hard. Yes, they no longer have egg crates due to sanitary reasons.

Good to know that's what I am in and I have a bad back and can't do a hard bed. Disney had the best beds I've ever slept on!

Requested thru Special Needs in advance of our Oasis cruise in Dec. 2016 and Brilliance cruise April 2017. Received special washable toppers on both cruises and there was no issue at all. I have had spine and hip surgery and they took great care to make certain our bed was quite comfortable. Next time request thru Special Needs in advance.

Will be requesting for our October Empress cruise as well.

We fly too. We're bringing ours. It's important to have a comfortable nights sleep and more than once the lack of a topper has made that less than ideal.

No need to pack and bring. Just submit request to Special Needs a few weeks prior to cruise and print copy of your request and their reply. They only have washable ones now, no more foam.

We were on Liberty last week. My wife has had 3 back surgeries and needs the mattress as soft as possible. When we got to the room I checked and there was a topper on the bed but it was not soft enough. We asked our room attendant if he could do something to make it softer. He put an egg crate pad on it and it was perfect for her.

Anyone know how the beds are on Explorer? We're doing a 22 day TP in Oct and I'm a poor sleeper already and prefer a soft bed. Guess I will contact their special needs dept and request a topper for our bed.

Teanne

No need to pack and bring. Just submit request to Special Needs a few weeks prior to cruise and print copy of your request and their reply. They only have washable ones now, no more foam.

That's the way it *might* work. We have always done this, and more times than not, they don't have one.

If you have an issue like this, that you can take personal responsibility to ensure is addressed properly, and you don't do it, they shouldn't let you use the silverware unsupervised. ;-)

I requested a topper on my Enchantment cruise in March and was emailed by Special Needs RCI no longer supplied them. It was suggested that I contact my room steward for assistant, which I did, and he took 2 extra mattress pads and it worked.

Did the same on my Explorer May cruise and there was a topper but the cabin steward told me when one needs deep cleaning it is thrown out.

I think eventually it will be phased out.

I agree that we pay a huge amount for a cruise but if you can't get the basic service for me to sleep comfortably, I shouldn't have to pay for that service. A hotel doesn't charge the customer for the basic necessity of being comfortable when you sleep.

I know disposable is expensive but the cruise lines have to come up with help for the customer.

More and more the lines keep taking away from the customer and to me that isn't acceptable. Cruising is a service industry, start treating the customer as if we are the most important asset the cruise line has.

Candie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk