Should we even get off in Jamaica??

prg2101

Of course you should get off in Jamaica. It is a beautiful island. Beautiful mountains, vibrant culture, friendly people, great food, great music, lots to see and do. If someone wants to sell you something you don't want, just politely say no thank you, keep walking, problem solved. No worse than Mexico.

But they're much more aggressive than Mexico by far.

In February on the Regal didn't book a tour in Jamaica because had done most of the interesting ones .

Got off the ship, walked around the vendors inside the port. Peaked outside and decided to get back on the ship.

Montego Bay not an area to walk around.

Someone mentioned a tour bus being robbed years ago. We were on that same tour the week before (really scary that it could have happened to us).

My husband and I have been travelling Jamaica for 30+ years, NOT on a cruise boat, and it is by far our favorite Caribbean island.

Is there a crime problem, YES, but common sense when traveling goes a long way.

We have never cruised around the Caribbean and we prefer to stay on the islands. Stopping in Montego Bay is not the greatest area for first or any impressions of what the island has to offer. If you have time, take a tour to Negril and eat and drink at the Margarita Ville there, NOT in MoBay.

Negril has one of the best beaches in the Caribbean.

If it is available, get a day pass at Sandals MoBay. The Best for food and rink for the day.

The are are so many beautiful area/things to see in Jamaica that can NOT be seen and experienced from only one day in port.

Happy Cruising

Been once in Mo' Bay on a Princess cruise. We took a ship's tour to Rose Hall. That was very nice and interesting. The tour guide couldn't have been nicer or more friendly. Then, we were taken to a "shopping" area. We were immediately set upon by loud, angry, abusive sellers who when told no thank you, would say, "What's the matter, you too good to buy from us?" I said, "No. Not interested. We're on vacation. Have a nice day." We got back on the tour bus to be done with this nonsense and waited. The short walk from the tour bus to the pier was much the same.

We have been going to Mexico at least once a year for 25 years on both cruise and land vacations. This was nothing like Mexico, We have also traveled much of the world, except Africa. This is one place we will not be returning to.

As others have said, take a ship's tour.

Some of the all-inclusives offer day passes. Butch Stewart started Sandals in Jamaica and then Beaches for families. You would not be hassled there and they offer a lot. Call and find out what a day pass would be. There's at least one near Mo Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

But they're much more aggressive than Mexico by far.

The hawkers in Mexico were actually funny. Great humor in trying to get you to buy. Wolmart instead of Wal-Mart store in Costa Maya "Come on in. I'll rip you off less than the next guy!" One vendor told us. We went in. still not sure if we actually did get ripped off less, but it was humorous. In Jamaica, they were just too aggressive & down right nasty.

Thanks for all the responses guys. We are down here at Port Everglades now, staying at hotel before boarding tomorrow. Will see what ship tours are available once we board tomorrow.....Thanks again for all the advice!

John and Mayra

I can see that some folks enjoy Jamaica. We did not. We have been on close to twenty Caribbean cruises and have stopped at most of the major islands. I used to be a hospital emergency room bouncer and am used to dealing with "characters." Jamaica is the only island where I have felt really uncomfortable and as a result refuse to book any cruises which stop there. I am sure that some will say that we don't know what we are missing. To the contrary, we do know what we are missing and don't mind missing it at all!

Was in Jamaica a few years ago and decided to just see how the town is. Just took a taxi from port and were confronted at once with a lot of aggressive hawkers, including taxi drivers from the long line. We just stayed on for a few minutes. Bad experience.

I'm saddened that Jamaica as a port stop is getting so much hate. It's a little rough around the edges, and sure you'll be asked if you want to buy marijuana but for the most part it's pretty laid back.

The key I think is to take a cab directly (yourself or via ship excursion) to one of the many stunning gated and guarded beach areas. You won't get bothered by aggressive vendors once on these beaches as they are private ... and Montego Bay has some mind blowingly beautiful beaches.

There's nothing like sitting on a Mobay beach, munching on some jerk chicken while sipping back a Red Stripe and enjoying the island breezes. It's a uniquely Jamaican experience and one that would be a shame to miss.

I was on the Regal in February and stopped in Montego Bay. I am a female solo traveler and I took the ship tour to Margaritaville in Negril.It took about 3-40 minutes to get there so you "saw" some of Jamaica you would not see if just by the pier. I enjoyed every minute of the day and never felt unsafe. There are folks at Margaritaville that keep the "vendors" from coming onto "their" beach. There are vendors for "everything" and they try to talk you into going to them. That is your option. My only suggestion would be to get out to the pier area as soon as possible as they fill the buses first come first served. If you arrive out at Margaritaville first you get the prized 1st row loungers by the beach. The lunch served was decent. I remember chicken, rice, and a vinegar based slaw along with either rum punch or or plain punch. Hope this helps.

I can see that some folks enjoy Jamaica. We did not. We have been on close to twenty Caribbean cruises and have stopped at most of the major islands. I used to be a hospital emergency room bouncer and am used to dealing with "characters." Jamaica is the only island where I have felt really uncomfortable and as a result refuse to book any cruises which stop there. I am sure that some will say that we don't know what we are missing. To the contrary, we do know what we are missing and don't mind missing it at all!

We don't like Jamaica either so when in port we stay aboard and enjoy the quietness of the ship.

Why would you not book a cruise just because it stops in Jamaica? No one is forcing you to go ashore.