Jet Skiers have close call with Carnival Magic

tidecat

I've seen this for years at Miami and Port Everglades, with cargo ships that are much less maneuverable than cruise ships, Canaveral is a new one for me. Windsurfers in San Francisco are another group of crazies. Everyone seems to leave their common sense on shore. Many, many years ago, a USCG boating safety inspector told me that everyone on the water was intent on committing homicide or suicide with their watercraft.

Magic had plenty of time to shut it down too.. seeing a water rescue in progress ahead of you and kept going right towards the sheriffs boat was a bad move on the Magics captains part. But also the Sheriff could have gotten on the radio and told Magic to shut it down seeing them heading out of the port and told the captain a water rescue is in progress ahead, do not approach. Sheriffs conducting a water rescue will always have right of way. but its whether the sheriff announced on the radio a water rescue is in progress at the port entrance and magic continued at them then the captain of Magic will be in a lot of hot water.

Magic had plenty of time to shut it down too...

You might consider doing some research on how long and what distance is needed to "shut down" a ocean going vessel.

Using the thrusters to turn the ship would have created a wake even the Sheriff's RIB would struggle in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might consider doing some research on how long and what distance is needed to "shut down" a ocean going vessel.

Using the thrusters to turn the ship would have created a wake even the Sheriff's RIB would struggle in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

it was 40 seconds from the time the video started to the time Magic was ontop of them. as slow as the Magic was traveling out of port and seeing a water rescue in progress ahead of them magic could have slowed down some or even reversed props and slowed it way down giving them more time. I bet that water rescue had been going on a good 30 or more seconds before the video started. "Oh look people in the water ahead and sheriffs boat doing a water rescue, i'll record it" by the time he/she thought this and got his/her video cam or cell phone out and started recording i bet 30 seconds had passed. And what i meant by shut it down was stop accelerating towards the sheriffs boat or exit/entrance to the port.

And no i know Magic cant use thrusters and not because of the wake but because of running aground in the narrow channel of the port entrance/exit.

But again. did the sheriff radio on the harbor channel of a water rescue in progress at the port entrance?

it was 40 seconds from the time the video started to the time Magic was ontop of them. as slow as the Magic was traveling out of port and seeing a water rescue in progress ahead of them magic could have slowed down some or even reversed props and slowed it way down giving them more time. I bet that water rescue had been going on a good 30 or more seconds before the video started. "Oh look people in the water ahead and sheriffs boat doing a water rescue, i'll record it" by the time he/she thought this and got his/her video cam or cell phone out and started recording i bet 30 seconds had passed. And what i meant by shut it down was stop accelerating towards the sheriffs boat or exit/entrance to the port.

And no i know Magic cant use thrusters and not because of the wake but because of running aground in the narrow channel of the port entrance/exit.

But again. did the sheriff radio on the harbor channel of a water rescue in progress at the port entrance?

Yes, the first problem is whether or not the Sheriff's boat declared an emergency or not, as this would be the only instance where it had the right of way, but the rules also get a bit sticky when you consider that the cruise ship is a deep draft vessel constrained by the channel, which gives it right of way as well.

Can you tell from the video that the ship was "accelerating towards the sheriff's boat", or whether it had reached the desired speed for the channel, or whether it was slowing down because of the boat? I sure can't from that video. And even if the Magic was doing only 4-5 knots, (and from some rough estimating using the size of the boat for speed, it looks like 2-3 knots) if you think they could have stopped the ship in 40 seconds, you haven't driven a large ship. Even an emergency stop at 4-5 knots will take about 3-4 ship lengths (1800-2400 feet, and 1-2 minutes).

You also have to realize that there is a great cross current at this point just outside the jetties where the Gulf Stream and its countercurrent take over, so that the vessel needs to maintain some speed to remain in the channel.

Yes, the first problem is whether or not the Sheriff's boat declared an emergency or not, as this would be the only instance where it had the right of way, but the rules also get a bit sticky when you consider that the cruise ship is a deep draft vessel constrained by the channel, which gives it right of way as well.

Can you tell from the video that the ship was "accelerating towards the sheriff's boat", or whether it had reached the desired speed for the channel, or whether it was slowing down because of the boat? I sure can't from that video. And even if the Magic was doing only 4-5 knots, (and from some rough estimating using the size of the boat for speed, it looks like 2-3 knots) if you think they could have stopped the ship in 40 seconds, you haven't driven a large ship. Even an emergency stop at 4-5 knots will take about 3-4 ship lengths (1800-2400 feet, and 1-2 minutes).

You also have to realize that there is a great cross current at this point just outside the jetties where the Gulf Stream and its countercurrent take over, so that the vessel needs to maintain some speed to remain in the channel.

Thanks again for clearing the stopping issue up!

At any rate jet skiers shouldn't even come that close to begin with.

Finally...adult supervision! When these types of topics get posted I'm always surprised on the number of Master Mariners we have on Cruise Critic.

Finally...adult supervision! When these types of topics get posted I'm always surprised on the number of Master Mariners we have on Cruise Critic.

Pot meet kettle.

I'm always surprised at the massive number of people who are so quick to judge others and put words into their mouths about their comments and opinions that was never said. This whole forum is full of peoples comments, opinions and thoughts. Its what its here for.

You know where "the button" is at, use it.

Pot meet kettle.

I'm always surprised at the massive number of people who are so quick to judge others and put words into their mouths about their comments and opinions that was never said. This whole forum is full of peoples comments, opinions and thoughts. Its what its here for.

You know where "the button" is at, use it.

I was addressing your post below specifically. You don't seem to have the experience to discuss what the Magic could or should have done but that didn't stop you from slandering the master of the vessel.

Magic had plenty of time to shut it down too.. seeing a water rescue in progress ahead of you and kept going right towards the sheriffs boat was a bad move on the Magics captains part. But also the Sheriff could have gotten on the radio and told Magic to shut it down seeing them heading out of the port and told the captain a water rescue is in progress ahead, do not approach. Sheriffs conducting a water rescue will always have right of way. but its whether the sheriff announced on the radio a water rescue is in progress at the port entrance and magic continued at them then the captain of Magic will be in a lot of hot water.

From that site:

Capt. Brown, working with the Captain and bridge team of the Carnival Magic, maneuvered the vessel away from the boaters while Deputy Primmer pulled both boaters aboard his patrol vessel and out of harm’s way. Great job to Capt. Brown, the Captain and bridge team of the Carnival Magic, and Deputy Primmer for their outstanding actions that resulted in the rescue of these boaters. This incident highlights the dedication to safety at Port Canaveral as a result of the close cooperation between the Canaveral Pilots Association and the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office.

I don't think the master of the ship has anything to worry about...