cameras...binoculars..and what about GoPro?

katfer

Anybody ever have both the CanonSX60 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70. Which did you like better and why?

I did compare the two before I decided on what I got.

The Panny will cost less and has a faster lens through the entire focal range, more focus points, faster continuous shooting, greater flash range and is a little lighter. LCD and EVF will not have the resolution as the Canon and does not have wifi or NFC connectivity. The LCD viewfinder can be tilted/swiveled. The SX60 can shoot high speed videos. Otherwise seems to be very similar everywhere else - zoom, sensor, 16.1MP, hotshoe, shoots in RAW, etc. The Canon is a little smaller than the Panasonic, though.

Both had their good and bad points and were more alike than different - if I had to choose between the two, I would have gone with the Panasonic for the more bang for your buck but the Canon is a little more versatile.

Edited by Herfnerd

My DH and I both have DSLR Canon cameras. Love them. I still remember being at Pompeii and just shaking my head thinking what a waste of a opportunity. There were so many people taking pictures with the phones and pads. Did they really think those once in a life time pictures were going to turn out that good. Even my crappy pictures will be better then their good ones.

We are going to Alaska. Taking the grandkids. They will be 12, 9, 8 and 6. Everybody has their own version of what is important. I bought a nice camcorder for the 12 year old.

I bought the little ones each a Canon Power Shot ELPH 180. I want them each to be able to take pictures, zoom or take a video through their eyes. They each got binoculars too. We are whale watching, bear watching, glaciers and dog sledding on ice and dirt. This is their bonding time.

Funny, I never realized until watching Judge Judy and this professional camera guy was pissed because a guy was taking his own pictures of the wedding. Same camera as ours. Who knew we were pros LOL.

With the cost of the trip and excursions why cheap out now for a small amount of money. Get something to remember those memories.

Hi everyone..thanks for your help...got a Canon Rebel T6 with wifi ...has 2 zoom lenses. It comes with battery and charger...also has 32gb 10 SDHC Memory cards. Question...do I need another battery for Alaska and another memory card? Thanks again!

Hi everyone..thanks for your help...got a Canon Rebel T6 with wifi ...has 2 zoom lenses. It comes with battery and charger...also has 32gb 10 SDHC Memory cards. Question...do I need another battery for Alaska and another memory card? Thanks again!

I always start the day with 3 charged batteries. Figure 300 pictures per battery, more battery use if shooting video. We also bring extra cards....just in case.

katfer, Nice camera. I have the T6i, standard lens, 250 zoom and wide angle. Practice changing from one lens to the other so you become efficient at it, don't want to drop one. Also figure out where you will keep the extra lens on you for faster change out. If possible try to anticipate which lens you will want on the camera (what kind of shot do you want, close-up or normal.) We are going to Alaska in May and I expect my 250 zoom will be used the most. One thing you want to do now is practice, practice, practice with your camera.

I always start the day with 3 charged batteries. Figure 300 pictures per battery, more battery use if shooting video. We also bring extra cards....just in case.

Mitch2016 is right on. You should have at least one spare battery. Make sure both are fully charged overnight. On our first Alaska trip I forgot to grab the spare battery for our point and shoot camera and the battery died just as the glacier was starting to calf. Very disappointing. Fortunately, I was able to get video of the event. So make sure you carry the spare battery. Depending on how you have your camera set for picture quality will determine how many pictures per battery charge.

I always take extra cards, at least one card for every two days. This way you change the card every day or every other day just in case something happens to your camera or you loose a card. This way you haven't lost all your pictures.

Good luck and have fun.

possible buyers remorse!!! I was just looking at Nikon 3400...24 mega pixel and longer battery life..can still take back to Costco...so experts ..am I overthinking? Probably last camera I'll buy..so help the old girl out...Keep Rebel or take back and get Nikon 3400?

possible buyers remorse!!! I was just looking at Nikon 3400...24 mega pixel and longer battery life..can still take back to Costco...so experts ..am I overthinking? Probably last camera I'll buy..so help the old girl out...Keep Rebel or take back and get Nikon 3400?

Comparing the 2 cameras the Nikon D3400 has a slight edge over the Canon.

I have been told by several people that the cold weather changes the life of your batteries by about half so to bring one to two extra. The guides have all said the number one complaint from people is that their battery died or they didn't have enough memory.

Compare a bit more. Read from different websites like Costco, Best Buy and Amazon. I love Costco but for sure know that the TVs they sell are a little older models then what you can get at Best Buy. Not that it by makes much difference when watching a movie at home. All I'm saying is make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

after reading this thread it got me thinking about how much Iove to take photos,and how my iphone is always a disappointment for that for great scenery shots,and how Alaska will be full of great scenery...... I have it narrowed down (I think) to the Canon sx 720- it looks like a great overall point and shoot with a 40x optical zoom,and the price isn't too steep. It's small and easy to use also,which I want. Any better ideas than this model? I've done some researching and this one keeps catching my eye...

Could you expand on that a little farther?

Jimbo:)

For less than half the price, the Panny has the same major specs - zoom (the Canon is a little longer), sensor, video resolution, EVF, OIS, etc.

But where the Canon is more versatile is the EVF has much greater resolution, a fully articulating LCD screen (for selfies) and wireless/NFC capability.

But on the Panny's plus side, it has more focusing points and a faster burst speed in addition to a slighty faster lens and a lighter body

I guess looking at it this way, they are relatively equal on the major stuff and the others sort of cancel each other out

Hi Everybody,

I'm in the midst of deciding do I buy binoculars or get a better camera or ?

As far as a camera, I'd like a lot of zoom and a viewfinder. On the Best Buy website, I'm seeing a Panasonic Lumix FZ80 with 60x optical zoom and a viewfinder. It's on presale now. Is this a good option?

I'd appreciate any input from all you "experts"!

Thanks,

Patti

Hi Everybody,

I'm in the midst of deciding do I buy binoculars or get a better camera or ?

As far as a camera, I'd like a lot of zoom and a viewfinder. On the Best Buy website, I'm seeing a Panasonic Lumix FZ80 with 60x optical zoom and a viewfinder. It's on presale now. Is this a good option?

I'd appreciate any input from all you "experts"!

Thanks,

Patti

I have had the FZ70 for a year now. I am not an expert and haven't used it extensively but it is a solid camera. No complaints. It is larger than my last camera which can be a pain but I wanted a good zoom and I wanted a viewfinder and it has both of these.

I will look at the Fz80 specs now.

Hey all.... took the rebel back and got a Panosonic Lumix instead...the other was just too big and complicated...now to figure this out before August...anyone have tips on "pannny's. The zoom is incredible!

after reading this thread it got me thinking about how much Iove to take photos,and how my iphone is always a disappointment for that for great scenery shots,and how Alaska will be full of great scenery...... I have it narrowed down (I think) to the Canon sx 720- it looks like a great overall point and shoot with a 40x optical zoom,and the price isn't too steep. It's small and easy to use also,which I want. Any better ideas than this model? I've done some researching and this one keeps catching my eye...

You have to remember with optical zoom that the more you zoom out the shakier the camera gets and sometimes it becomes harder to find your subject. Not against optical zooms just giving some advice.

Hey all.... took the rebel back and got a Panosonic Lumix instead...the other was just too big and complicated...now to figure this out before August...anyone have tips on "pannny's. The zoom is incredible!

Which one did you get? The iAuto option (intelligent auto) is nice but if you learn the basics of photography, you'll be able to do a lot more - just play with it up until cruise time!

And I have a monopod that I use for distance shots

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have to remember with optical zoom that the more you zoom out the shakier the camera gets and sometimes it becomes harder to find your subject. Not against optical zooms just giving some advice.

Not that I have any idea how it compares, overall, to any of the cameras you're discussing, but my Nikon B-500 has a button on the lens housing, next to the zoom control, that quickly zooms out to allow you to frame the shot and then returns to the original zoom level when you release.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Well,this model claims to have image stabilization for the zoom lens..... I don't know..... it's hard to decide,and for me this is an expensive purchase so i want to choose well...

Well,this model claims to have image stabilization for the zoom lens..... I don't know..... it's hard to decide,and for me this is an expensive purchase so i want to choose well...

By no means am I an expert but the reviews look good and if the image stabilization is any good that's a very good feature.

The reviews say you can charge the battery while still in the camera. Nice feature. But it doesn't come with a USB cable. I would plan on using the battery charger while on the ship. Do you pack a small power strip?

I would suggest at least an extra battery and additional memory cards.

Make sure you understand what OIS, or Optical Image Stabilization can and cannot do - the BIGGEST misconception is that it will "freeze" fast moving subjects at slower shutter speeds. It does anything but. It allows you to capture sharp images of static subjects at slower speeds. Moving objects will be equally blurry or streaky—and in some cases blurrier/shakier with the IS turned on. If you use a mono or tripod, you usually won't need to have the IS turned on - and keep in mind that it also will eat battery life.

Make sure you understand what OIS, or Optical Image Stabilization can and cannot do - the BIGGEST misconception is that it will "freeze" fast moving subjects at slower shutter speeds. It does anything but. It allows you to capture sharp images of static subjects at slower speeds. Moving objects will be equally blurry or streaky—and in some cases blurrier/shakier with the IS turned on. If you use a mono or tripod, you usually won't need to have the IS turned on - and keep in mind that it also will eat battery life.

I plan to use zoom mode for landscapes mostly. We are going on a private whale watching excursion...should I leave camera on auto or try for a video?

By no means am I an expert but the reviews look good and if the image stabilization is any good that's a very good feature.

The reviews say you can charge the battery while still in the camera. Nice feature. But it doesn't come with a USB cable. I would plan on using the battery charger while on the ship. Do you pack a small power strip?

I would suggest at least an extra battery and additional memory cards.

Do i charge a few batteries in camera..then take with me for excursions? I assume they will hold the charge. Yes we take a power strip....I'm addicted to too much that needs to be charged. Anyone have a good site to get extra batteries and memory you'll share..or is amazon ok?