Cruising a brand new ship

Mummble

My husband and I are considering booking one of the first itineraries (I think it is the 3rd) of Carnival's new ship. I'd love to hear about any of your experiences on a new ship.

We're a little worried that they'll be working out the kinks still, but the price is right. Please help me get my expectations in line so I know what to expect.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We were on the 2nd cruise on Celebrity's Reflection in 2012. Celebrity had taken possession of the ship just 9 days prior to our boarding. What we found was a perfect ship, with a well trained crew, with everything working as it was designed to. The crew were handpicked from the best of the rest of the fleet, and the captain was one of Celebrity's most experienced. All staff were top notch, and it showed in the level of service and maintenance.

One of my fondest memories of our boarding was the smell - similar to a new car smell, but with more upholstery hints to it. It was sublime! Being on a brand new ship, with not a scratch, dent, stain, tear or rust spot anywhere, was special. One of the best, if not the best, cruise I have ever taken.

Keep in mind that the Reflection was built at Meyer Werft in Germany, one of the premier ship building companies in the world. They have a strong reputation for quality and on-time builds. Not sure where your ship was built, or whether Carnival has the same high level standards Celebrity has for new ships. But I would expect Carnival to do their absolute best on any new ship. After all, the new ship in the fleet is the one getting all the attention, so they have a very vested interest in making sure everything is as it should be.

It is always fun to sail on a new ship.

Sure it's possible that there will be a few kinks and the crew is still developing as one cohesive team but at the same time there is lots of enthusiasm on the part of the crew and excitement by passengers of sailing on a very new ship.

I wouldn't hesitate to do this.

Keith

We sailed on the Grand Princess's Inaugural cruise in 1998 out of Istanbul.

She had already been delayed a couple of months when we boarded her and she had a lot of problems.

Water pipes breaking, fire alarms going off without warning, fire doors closing, meals not always hot because stoves were not working, etc.

I wouldn't do the maiden voyage, but after a sailing or two, it should be fine! Same with right before or after a dry-dock...they usually start work BEFORE the last cruise is over, and are still finishing up during the cruise after the dry-dock...

We have done a few new ship cruises (including a maiden voyage) and have learned (the hard way) that we prefer to wait until a ship is at least 3 months old before we take a voyage. Even assuming that a new ship has completed all of its work (we have been on new ships where workers were still working)....the problem can be with a crew...who has not worked together long enough to develop the camaraderie and team work that makes a ship operate smoothly as opposed to one that just doesn't seem to have it right.

Would we do the 3rd cruise on a new Carnival ship? Sure, if the price and timing are right. But we would be more comfortable if it was the 10th voyage :).

Hank

Thank you all so much! It sounds like experiences can... vary... to say the least!

We've decided to plan on this cruise. It's actually the 4th, not the 3rd, that will be offered on the Carnival Horizon. We're squeezing this one in with another vacation planned for later in the year, and the price is just right. However, we'll be ready for a couple bumps in the road while enjoying that 'new cruise' smell!

Keep in mind that the Reflection was built at Meyer Werft in Germany, one of the premier ship building companies in the world. They have a strong reputation for quality and on-time builds.

Back in the day, the White Star Line and the Harland & Wolff shipyard also had impeccable reputations.

We sailed on the Grand Princess's Inaugural cruise in 1998 out of Istanbul.

She had already been delayed a couple of months when we boarded her and she had a lot of problems.

Water pipes breaking, fire alarms going off without warning, fire doors closing, meals not always hot because stoves were not working, etc.

We were on that same cruise, booked the 3rd cruise, ended up on the 1st since ship was delivered late.

There were problems, they were still laying carpet in one area when we boarded. We were excited to be aboard and explored the ship. Stumbled onto a "Press Party" in the disco which we crashed. Enjoy some drinks and the view of Istanbul... I must say the press party was a lot nicer then the welcome aboard party at the pool the following day passengers.

At each port, there were fire boat salutes since the ship was new and it was its first arrival in the port.

Other than these fun things there really was nothing that special about being on the first cruise. After we did that cruise I never booked a new ship until it was in service at least 6 months... then I feel the crew and staff are working well as a team.

I am still cruising the Grand today -- 20 years later out of San Francisco... the crew and service on board today is much better than it was then. And the Grand is still in great shape.