$7.95 Room Service Charge

I took my girlfriend on her first ever cruise in January.

She was really excited about how much was included - especially having access to room service.

We ended up being so busy that we actually never ordered any. HOWEVER, if she saw an $8 fee, I know that would have left a very sour taste in her mouth and would have reduced how fondly she spoke of the trip afterwards.

Unfortunately for RCl, that kind of thing is hard to measure. Sure, the surveys ask how likely are you to recommend cruising to friends and families, but it's impossible to get from a survey how damaging nickle and diming can be.

But they sold cruises after this deadline specifically stating that room service was complementary.

Pricing for virtually everything is dynamic, including pricing for previously zero cost items. Their web site and their CSRs are one of the last to update what is happening on the ship.

To be fair Disney didn't say that the parks would be less crowded. What they said was by differentiating the cost of one day tickets by time of year and by individual theme park I'm on the floor that that would tend to balance things out a little bit better. I don't know if it's worked. First of all I don't know how many people really use one day tickets.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

In not talking about recent ticket prices I'm talking the about the increases about 6 years ago. We were season ticket holders for many years until the price became prohibited to my accountant mind. We had good friends that worked at the park then and stated the price increase was to decrease overcrowding especially season ticket holders. Didn't make sense or change anything except Disneys bottom line.

I don't recall 6 years ago and what Disney it sent back then. I really don't recall what you're referring to. But I have to make clear that the reason we're cruising again is the realization that we're now paying ten times as much for admission than we were when we first started going to Disney World.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I don't recall 6 years ago and what Disney it sent back then. I really don't recall what you're referring to. But I have to make clear that the reason we're cruising again is the realization that we're now paying ten times as much for admission than we were when we first started going to Disney World.

I agree with you that even with price increases cruising is our best value for the money. We are interline travelers and get a good discount on our cruises but even without the discount I would still cruise and not use room service. I need to exercise of getting my own food to walk off the extra lbs.;p

But they sold cruises after this deadline specifically stating that room service was complimentary. As a matter of fact, right now on March 15, they are still advertising it on their site in dining experience section.

It's still there. False advertising? Why didn't they roll it out on the new bookings like these new room classifications?

I don't agree with it either; however, they are probably trying to cut cost by limiting room service. People wasting food and the runners serving it(where they could work elsewhere).... I want to see the expanded selections. HA. I remember when the breakfast actually was good for room service...Those were the days........... I am not paying $8 + tip. No way!

I don't agree with it either; however, they are probably trying to cut cost by limiting room service. People wasting food and the runners serving it(where they could work elsewhere).... I want to see the expanded selections. HA. I remember when the breakfast actually was good for room service...Those were the days........... I am not paying $8 + tip. No way!

I think they could limit room service by extending the $3.95 service charge for all orders, AS A TIP! That would probably cut down on the orders and the servers would be assured a tip.

You are not forced to order room service, but since you asked, you ordered and paid for this http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52478441#post52478441

Now all you have to do is drink 1 extra and you have covered the rs charge

I am confused as to why you would dig into my history to find this post? I shouldn't have to drink more to make up the value of a service I already paid for with my ticket.

This is crazy, this is the first time I am trying RC after sailing quite a bit on 2 other lines, and I am starting to regret trying something new. I just dropped 518 dollars on a drink package and now this? If I wasn't already paid up I would be on the fence about canceling the whole thing. I probably use room service like twice a cruise, but it felt good to know I could if I wanted to, or if I got sick etc...Like really you're changing it up 2 days before my cruise, you've got to be kidding me.

They didn't just change the price of something they stopped offering a service (free room service) that I paid for when I bought my ticket.

I think they could limit room service by extending the $3.95 service charge for all orders, AS A TIP! That would probably cut down on the orders and the servers would be assured a tip.

They don't benevolently do that sort of thing for service staff.

Just wait for the upcharge items that aren't included in the base 7.95 fee. And the 18% gratuity, which will seem small so people will throw in a bit extra anyways.

$10 bought you a drink 2 years ago.

Now it will buy you a cold ice scream scoop of eggs :')

I am confused as to why you would dig into my history to find this post? I shouldn't have to drink more to make up the value of a service I already paid for with my ticket.

This is crazy, this is the first time I am trying RC after sailing quite a bit on 2 other lines, and I am starting to regret trying something new. I just dropped 518 dollars on a drink package and now this? If I wasn't already paid up I would be on the fence about canceling the whole thing. I probably use room service like twice a cruise, but it felt good to know I could if I wanted to, or if I got sick etc...Like really you're changing it up 2 days before my cruise, you've got to be kidding me.

I tried to show you how to balance cost, if you don't want to, that's your problem

Here is the Press Release:

Royal Caribbean to start charging for room service

15Mar2017

Royal Caribbean has made a policy change in its room service offerings, where it will charge guests a fee of $7.95 for room service for the All Day Menu and the American Section of the breakfast menu.

Continental breakfast options will remain complimentary, so guests can still take advantage of room service without additional fees in the morning. The $7.95 fee will be charged for each room service order.

Guests in a Grand Suite stateroom or above will retain complimentary room service.

The change goes into effect on sailings after March 27, 2017.

The $7.95 fee will be charged for each room service order.

First thing I thought of in conjunction with reading this thread - someone pi$$ed off about this will order some huge order of food they'll never finish just to show em...:( or get their moneys worth.

They didn't just change the price of something they stopped offering a service (free room service) that I paid for when I bought my ticket.

Agreed.

This is a bait and switch for those who have already booked and paid for their cruise. The EU would not take kindly to that type of scam. If RCI wants to change their business model, they should not apply it until the next round of cruises are released and the charge clearly stated in the ticket contract. For those that are blindly supporting this change, what will you say when the main dining room has a charge? It is only a matter of time. Windjammer or pay a fee. And, what if they make that change after you're past final payment?

Some may wonder why you are so upset over an $8 fee you may never use when you spent over $500 just for drinks.

Doesn't correlate. Would someone in an interior cabin have more "legitimate" basis for complaints than someone in a balcony room with its higher base costs?

I'm going on a different line soon that offers different "experience" levels. Part of the basic experience means there is a room service charge, if I want to use it. Somehow, mentally, it's easier to do the gymnastics of buying different levels of "experiences" that come with services and amenities as a bundle than to be hit with a one off fees if staying below a suite.

These vacations have always been about "the little things". All cruises are a luxury, and so people want a little bit of that lux life. Maybe others feel similarly, or not, but that's part of my thinking process.

I tend to choose to forgo optional services. It *does* feel like nickel and diming to me, even though I can choose not to pay for it. Ultimately though I end up with a more generic, less signature experience. Is that my fault? Some people here probably would say yes. But I'm sure there's a lot out there like me who aren't going to $5 and $10 ourselves at every turn for something that used to be included in the fare, and as such find that perhaps our preferred company now has no differentiator from the competitor. If that's the case, why pay more to get on the ship in the first place?

Some may wonder why you are so upset over an $8 fee you may never use when you spent over $500 just for drinks.

Because I paid for it. Do you like paying for something and then not getting it???! If so I've got a bridge to sell you.

People keep comparing this to NCL, which, IMHO, has higher quality food and better options than RC. Does anyone know how this compares to Carnival? My last Carnival cruise was a couple years ago and I thought RC mostly compared to Carnival in the food dept.

Won't affect us at all...we've eaten breakfast on the balcony exactly 2 times in 15 yrs.

In fact, I don't think we've had room service but about 5 or 6 times. And I tip every time. We'd rather get out and about in the morning and usually have first breakfast at the Diamond Lounge, second breakfast in the MDR or Windjammer...then there's Elevensies, lunch...............:evilsmile:

Just curious. What happens when they start charging for breakfast in the main dining room? And, then dinner in the main dining room? And, each time they do all of this AFTER folks have paid for the product that was to include these options for free? The time is coming... Eat at Windjammer or pay a fee. If folks just take these things like RC sheep, RC will keep taking away included for free items and reducing the quality.

That is not encouraging information. This would be bad in my book, especially considering the prices that RCCL is charging.

The prices that RC is charging are for all of the Flow Riders and such... they are seriously diluting the rest of their product at the expense of those who do not take advantage of those activities, you might as well book Carnival and get more inclusive, and better quality, food options.