$7.95 Room Service Charge

Our last 2 cruises were on NCL, and we avoided ordering room service due to the charge. On prior cruises (RCI and Princess) we ordered room service several times each cruise. Not full on meals as the selection usually isn't that great nor is there space, but afternoon or late night snacks, definitely. Mostly due to the lack of food options at those times, but also due to convenience.

I would be game for a $2 delivery charge or something to reduce the amount of orders and waste, or a charge if you order room service more than once a day,or paid options (that are better and a more full meal and delivered quickly and still warm) and free options, but nearly $8 is way too much for a simple snack order. If there is a charge for every order, I can see there being a decrease in the number of orders, but an increase in the amount of food per order. It is disappointing the selections have really decreased, so hopefully if they will be charging that much, the selections will increase.

Also hoping for a decrease in delivery wait time. I’m a big snacker, and I’ve found there to be a lack of afternoon snack options on cruise ships. Room service was one of the best, like a fruit& cheese plate or some cookies or chips. I too hate when policy changes are made between when I book and when I cruise. The same thing happened with our last (NCL) cruise…I try not to dwell on the little stuff, but it ticks me off. The cost of cruising has increased a lot recently. However, I’d rather have a cruise fare increase and keep things included (similar to flying…I hate how they break out all the fees like for checked bags now).

If they were introducing a new premium room service, then they would have some items at an up charge and some items free. I have a feeling RCI thought that since NCL got away with this, they would match. I imagine there will be a lot of grumbling, but they won’t really lose a lot of cruise customers.

Does any place onboard offer to go boxes? Or I wonder if a person could bring his own and fill it at the buffet? I don't mind going and getting breakfast for the family if I have to but need an easy way to do it. Heavy plates and trays and such aren't ideal considering how far across the ship one would need to lug them.

With two small kids it is *much* easier to eat in the cabin, vs. getting everyone ready and parading to the (always busy/crazy) windjammer just for a simple breakfast. I'm sure there was some legal fine print somewhere that lets them change the terms of an already-paid-for cruise but it is still a bad business practice IMHO. Could have started with a lower price or announce now but roll out much later.

Yes, you can grab food in WJ and take tray back to room. I think crazy how much they are charging. To go from 0 to $8.00 is a big jump and I will not pay it but what really gets me is to add this fee to a cruise already paid in full sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you found trays in the Windjammer? I never have. I always have to do a balancing act back to our room with plates with food for 3.

I also suggest posting on their FaceBook page. Many are expressing displeasure there and it is a more public venue. RCCL is replying or many posts "with a standard response" but at least they are seeing the upset customers.

I and a number of others did that earlier this pm. When I went back a while ago they had all been removed...

Why should anyone get riled up? RCI tells us that these various charges, for things that used to have no charge, are all put in place to enhance our cruise experience. Everyone should be excited.:rolleyes:

Ha, funny guy!

Have you found trays in the Windjammer? I never have. I always have to do a balancing act back to our room with plates with food for 3.

Get a plastic bag [emoji877]from the supermarket or those eco friendly bags. My girlfriend on day 5or 6 is tired [emoji933]and refuses to visit the windjammer for breakfast 🥛so I go to get breakfast for us. Once I have all the plates [emoji899]ready I place them in the plastic bag and to the stateroom I go. [emoji125]🏼

I used the elevators but now I'm using the stairs since I was the talking point [emoji412]of the people in the elevators. " what a wonderful idea"" we are doing that next cruise""omg I didn't think about that""what a lucky girlfriend you have " etc👨*👩*[emoji66][emoji1286][emoji1284]

I always ask first if it's allowed and they employees always tell me yes-

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I and a number of others did that earlier this pm. When I went back a while ago they had all been removed...

I still see all the comments under the "visitor posts" section (posted over the past 10 hours) on Facebook. It may be on their "front page" they are removing them.

The thing that really bothers me is that they have started updating some of their TAs and all, but it will be long after it finally happens that the main website page is updated. I feel it is dishonest to continue listing room service as a "free" dining option on the main RCI Beverage and Dining page to sell more cruises once they have made a decision that it will no longer be free.

It's really too bad that RCI has decided to take away this free perk and instead charge a rather hefty $7.95 for it. I can understand if they extended the $3.95 late night charge to any time of day but $7.95 seems like just a huge cash grab even if they slightly upgrade the menu.

This would actually have been Royal's usual modus operandi. Extend the $3.95 to any time of day. Later on, increase the fee. I'm surprised they didn't do it this way.

Sort of like boiling a frog. *

* The boiling frog is an anecdote describing a frog slowly being boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is put suddenly into boiling water, it will jump out, but if the frog is put in cold water which is then brought to a boil slowly, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death.

I feel cheated. I booked my first RCI cruise on Anthem in August for the 4/2/17 sailing. First it was the dynamic dining that was discontinued. Now I can't get room service without paying a charge. I wish I could cancel this sailing but since its 2.5 weeks out I have already paid in full and won't get all my hard earned money back. I have an allure sailing booked for August and that one will be cancelled as soon as I book another line. Royal can kiss my you know what.

I feel cheated. I booked my first RCI cruise on Anthem in August for the 4/2/17 sailing. First it was the dynamic dining that was discontinued. Now I can't get room service without paying a charge. I wish I could cancel this sailing but since its 2.5 weeks out I have already paid in full and won't get all my hard earned money back. I have an allure sailing booked for August and that one will be cancelled as soon as I book another line. Royal can kiss my you know what.

Actually, Anthem has always had a very restricted room service menu.

Here is a link to the room service menus:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49541487#post49541487

Norwegian didn't get rid of their eight dollar charge and I'm pretty sure Royal Caribbean is it going to get rid of theirs either. It won't change my future plans with Royal and I'm sure it won't change about 95% of other peoples plans with Royal. I'm not that lazy where I can't take an elevator or the stairs to Kathy promenade or the wind jammer and get my free food there to bring back to the room if needed. I've been on 17 cruises and every time I see a tray in the hallway usually has 50% or more of the food left on it. Also this is capitalism at its best people I love it when I hear people complain about companies trying to make more money. If people feel so strongly about these price increases maybe they should write to their senators and congressmen to pass laws for compassionate capitalism. This message was written with the microphone so forgive the spelling errors. If you don't want to pay the eight dollars don't order room service. Do I think there should be exceptions to people with disabilities and handicap, absolutely.

Edited by Moltar

Unregulated capitalism will only get worse and worse. When we live in a country that has no law to govern the price of drugs that cure diseases you know we have a major problem. The only thing that matters in this country is the almighty dollar.

mbayley@RCCL.com

CEO name is Michael Bayley

Thank you for the name and address. My letter has been sent. The cruise that I'll be on has had changes in the entire dining format, the elimination of free room service, a change in beverage plans available, and a change in a port of call. It's true that they cover themselves with a disclaimer that services can change at any time. It just isn't fair. People spend a lot of time researching their cruises, they should have the correct information in order to make a reasonable decision.

I sent them an email about the issue with regards to my upcoming cruise on the Ovation in April, here is their response.

Thank you for your email to Royal Caribbean International.

Regarding the complementary room service is still the same, but now we have more options.It will consist of a breakfast menu and all-day menu with exciting dishes that will satisfy our guests cravings at any time. This will be on Ovation of the Seas starting on May 16th, so it won't affect your sailing don't worry.

Here are some of the upcoming details for the room service. The newly designed menus will consist of the following pieces:

1. Breakfast Door Hanger Menu

2. Breakfast Menu

3. All-day Menu

Exciting New Dishes

New dishes will include:

• The Royal Burger
  • Classic Philly with shaved rib eye
  • Wings with choice of 4 sauces
  • Grilled salmon with cucumber mint yogurt as a healthy option
  • Warm chocolate chip cookies

*Beverages will be available upon request at current bar prices. (See attached file: Breakfast.pdf)

We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon for a vacation experience like no other.

I personally forsee lots of food wastage happening as people would just max out everything they are even vaguely interested with on the order sheet to "make the best" of the $7.95. Especially for sailings in my region and probably also in China.

:mad::mad::mad: Hope it's not for US sailings! :mad::mad::mad:

I'll have two very disappointed teenage boys with me on my next cruise.

I suppose it must apply to the US as well, or the line will get discrimination lawsuits filed against them