$7.95 Room Service Charge

Did they give any other info. Sometimes they give reasoning behind discontinuing a service. For example they state they got rid of the chocolates because they were wasting X tons of chocolate a year that was going uneaten. Just curious if they spouted some statistic that only 5% of cruisers use room service so most won't notice the difference or some other nonsense.

They offered this: "This was introduced to manage the high demand [for room service]."

So you can't understand why people who already paid for something and are not getting what they paid for are pissed. What a jerk.
Such attacks against another poster are uncalled-for and inappropriate.

This is interesting and shows how the markets across the world differ. Here in Oz we have two main airlines that offer a meal or snack and free drinks on every flight (even the 30 minute flight from my town to Sydney - it is a huge rush for the cabin crew and they even serve a cooked meal for the few people who opt for business class on such a short flight!!!) and a number of budget airlines that sell the food.
Without a doubt. The litany of differences between US and Oz could fill a library.

I totally understand that RCI is only in this for the money, but this change is beyond unfair.
"Beyond" unfair? What is "beyond" unfair?

Regardless, let's accept that it is unfair to at least passengers cruising in April. At some point, it is no longer unfair. Whether that's May or July or some later point in time, let's at least agree that by 2019 this change is not unfair.

smells of a class action lawsuit.
Which is problematic since every booking requires acceptance of terms and conditions that include the agreement to not participate in a class-action lawsuit. While some people claim that that's not enforceable, note that that provision is still there in the contract. Why has no one yet prevailed in a challenge that provision? The answer is probably because it is not worth what is effectively a double lawsuit: The first lawsuit challenging the no class-actions provision, and then only if that's successful, a second lawsuit regarding the grievance.

Regardless, if people feel strongly enough about it, then they should be amenable to suing individually.

While this is within their "rights," it would be the equivalent of suddenly charging to go to the WJ or MDR.
If I understand what you're implying, I think that's a False Equivalency. Charging for room service is in no way comparable to doing away with all free meal options.

If you want a fair analogy, then it would be the equivalent of suddenly doing away with the Windjammer during dinner in favor of accommodating everyone in the MDR. That's much more comparable.

Any lawyers out there want to weigh-in on this?
Notice how silent the legal profession is, overall, on this. They know that to prevail you have to show damages and that you have taken reasonable steps yourself to mitigate the damages. So that eliminates your ability to sue for the money you lose by cancelling the cruise. All you can sue for is the money you spend on room service, $7.95 per visit. For practically everyone, that means suing in small claims court.

And, of course, in Florida, regardless of where you live. You agreed to that.

If we do not stand up to this now, eventually the MDR and WJ will follow suit.
Despite the prevailing American sentiment, "standing up" does not require legal action. The most relevant way to "stand up" is to simply do without room service on any cruises with RCI, and switching to some other cruise line that doesn't charge for room service (good luck finding one of those in the same price-range as RCI more than a year or two from now - incidentally, I checked how much it would cost me to switch to Celebrity for the same cruise: $1000 more!)

Well you should. If we do not act now, RCI, will believe they can change ANY rule at any time and get away with it.
That ship already sailed. Do you really think this is the first thing they've changed? This is just this month's change-of-interest.

It has been shown in the past that if enough people complain, they will have to listen.
Do you have statistics showing the relative success rate of complaints to RCI, i.e., how many complaints resulted in them reversing policy versus how many complaints resulted in no appreciable reversal? I don't know the exact numbers but I have a gut feel that you might be disheartened by it.

If enough complain, and it has to be ALOT, they will listen.
And that's the rub. I suspect that there will be far too many passengers who will realize that this increase is one of many ways that the cruise line can extract discretionary income from its customers. If this one doesn't fly, then maybe they'll bump up the cost of beverages instead, and for many people that would be worse. In the end, market pricing in the context of price sensitivity really is a zero-sum game.

Ultimately, people vote with their dollars, and right now I am limited in my cruising options to either Disney or RCI because I need a nursery to care for my baby, but due to this change, you can bet I have started exploring other options.
Why not Disney?

Oh, it's a lot more expensive. Yup, I know.

I just can't trust RCI to keep their word anymore.
You yourself admitted above that they have kept their word. You just were hoping that they'd do more than that.

Also social media is strong. I would suggest flooding their facebook page as well. Bad press is one of the worst things for a business, and can affect bookings. Their are many other lines out there. If they see cancellations rising, they will start to feel pressure.
Best of luck. Maybe you'll beat the odds. I actually hope you do just to have another story to tell, but I fear you won't.

Having said all of that, it is usually in the cruiseline's (or any business's) best interest to at least attempt to perform/provide the services advertised lest there be a consumer backlash.
I bet they'll refund the charges for those who complain after-the-fact, for the first 90 days after the change. That's probably all the guest recovery they'll need to do. Edited by bUU

mbayley@RCCL.com

CEO name is Michael Bayley

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks very much for posting this. I am booked next month on my first RCI cruise. There will not be another. I am very disillusioned with the pay-as-you-go business model. Plainly, RCI is not for me.

Here is my email to the guy:

Dear Sir -

I have purchased and paid in full for a RCI cruise in April. A factor in my choice of RCI was the continuing (even today) offer of free room service during the day, as the Oasis is enormous and we anticipate crowds. My husband has mobility problems, and we planned to eat most of our meals in our JS.

It seems quite unfair for RCI to bait and switch with a new upcharge of $8 for every meal, when we are well past the payment in full date. Please confirm that the new charge will not apply to those of us who relied upon your company's own offers when making this not-inexpensive purchase.

Thank you.

100 rooms right now pay $0.

Revenue = $0

new charge

Let's say 99 rooms don't order. Less food waste. 1 room orders. $7.95

Revenue = $7.95

What you are missing and has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread is that RCI can eliminate some positions due to the drop in demand - that would likely be a bigger bump in profit than from the charge.

Biker, who did not realize the CC crowd was such a big user of room service.

Regardless, let's accept that it is unfair to at least passengers cruising in April. At some point, it is no longer unfair. Whether that's May or July or some later point in time, let's at least agree that by 2019 this change is not unfair.

Which is problematic since every booking requires acceptance of terms and conditions that include the agreement to not participate in a class-action lawsuit. While some people claim that that's not enforceable, note that that provision is still there in the contract. Why has no one yet prevailed in a challenge that provision? The answer is probably because it is not worth what is effectively a double lawsuit: The first lawsuit challenging the no class-actions provision, and then only if that's successful, a second lawsuit regarding the grievance.

Regardless, if people feel strongly enough about it, then they should be amenable to suing individually.

If I understand what you're implying, I think that's a False Equivalency. Charging for room service is in no way comparable to doing away with all free meal options.

If you want a fair analogy, then it would be the equivalent of suddenly doing away with the Windjammer during dinner in favor of accommodating everyone in the MDR. That's much more comparable.

Notice how silent the legal profession is, overall, on this. They know that to prevail you have to show damages and that you have taken reasonable steps yourself to mitigate the damages. So that eliminates your ability to sue for the money you lose by cancelling the cruise. All you can sue for is the money you spend on room service, $7.95 per visit. For practically everyone, that means suing in small claims court.

Despite the prevailing American sentiment, "standing up" does not require legal action. The most relevant way to "stand up" is to simply do without room service on any cruises with RCI, and switching to some other cruise line that doesn't charge for room service (good luck finding one of those in the same price-range as RCI more than a year or two from now - incidentally, I checked how much it would cost me to switch to Celebrity for the same cruise: $1000 more!)

That ship already sailed. Do you really think this is the first thing they've changed? This is just this month's change-of-interest.

Do you have statistics showing the relative success rate of complaints to RCI, i.e., how many complaints resulted in them reversing policy versus how many complaints resulted in no appreciable reversal? I don't know the exact numbers but I have a gut feel that you might be disheartened by it.

And that's the rub. I suspect that there will be far too many passengers who will realize that this increase is one of many ways that the cruise line can extract discretionary income from its customers. If this one doesn't fly, then maybe they'll bump up the cost of beverages instead, and for many people that would be worse. In the end, market pricing in the context of price sensitivity really is a zero-sum game.

Why not Disney?

You yourself admitted above that they have kept their word. You just were hoping that they'd do more than that.

Best of luck. Maybe you'll beat the odds. I actually hope you do just to have another story to tell, but I fear you won't.

I bet they'll refund the charges for those who complain after-the-fact, for the first 90 days after the change. That's probably all the guest recovery they'll need to do.

Looking at your signature it seems as though you seem to be relatively new to the cruise world and RCI, unless you are omitting many cruises. I do not like to put all my travels in a signature, but I have been cruising since 1989, and have been MANY cruises, expeditions, etc. Including but not limited to Quark, One Ocean, National Geographic, Premier, Star, Carnival, NCL, Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, RCI, and Disney. RCI has become my more preferred line since 2009.

If you had read some of my follow up posts, you will see I have addressed many of the issues you stated, but I will go ahead and address them in case you missed it.

As stated in a follow up post, I agree that a lawsuit would go nowhere, it was more of a way of me explaining the level of anger and wrong doing on RCI part. In terms of "beyond unfair" I would state that they should give a 75-90 day leeway for people to cancel so you are not within final payment and also and email should be sent out informing passengers so they are not surprised about the charge when they come on the ship. At that time they should allow cancellations. As many have stated, most will not cancel over a 7.95 fee, but people should be allowed to cancel without penalty if they so choose. Esp. if RCI is so convinced this is such a minor thing, it would have been a good will gesture to those that have already booked.

You stated "Why not Disney?" Well I just booked an 8 night on the Magic after finding out about this, as I was looking into cruises into the fall. First non RCI cruise in 4.5 years if you saw one of my follow up posts. Last Non RCI was a Disney cruise on the Fantasy in Apr. of 2013. So actually I am directing my dollars elsewhere.

Given the fact you are not aware of policy reversals shows me that you are relatively new to cruising or not aware of changes, but changes have been made secondary to customer outrage. Two examples.

I believe it was 2012, but RCI kicked the Diamonds out of the Concierge lounge effectively ending the 3.5 hour happy hour Diamonds enjoy. Diamonds could now only go to the Diamond lounge which was on very few trips at the time. This caused an UPRISING on the forums. Due to endless complaints the company caved and created a "Diamond Event" that served beer and wine for free and mixed drinks for a discount, until they could create Diamond Lounges on all the ships. This clearly was not a cost benefit thing, and they caved due to the outrage.

Example number two: Dynamic Dining. I don't have to rehash this but that has been scrapped as the reviews and complaints were too numerous to handle. Despite the fact NCL has freestyle dining, RCI tried to implement and due to consumer outrage backpedaled.

Again, you ask me if this is the first thing that has changed. In 30 years I have seen EVERYTHING CHANGE, but the one thing that has been relatively immune so far has been room service, the buffet, and MDR, but clearly that dynamic is changing. I could go on for DAYS about the changes from the drop in service, not walking you to your room when you board the ship, no more chocolates on pillows, no midnight buffet, no more free pop in the MDR (Yes, RCI did use to have free pop in the MDR. Bet you didn't know that), and many more.

I feel your tone quite condescending, and quite honestly, I have extensive travel experience and have been in many situations that a cruise has turned out poorly including high level disasters and this is not just "missing a port." level type disasters. I have had amazing customer service experiences and some that were on a level of disaster that they have made examples of said people in the cruise ship industry. I will always have many more stories to tell.

I don't hope to beat the odds, I just want a company to know when they do something that most would view as wrong. A staggered roll out would have been a better way to go about it, and I don't think very many people would disagree.

I'm not impressed by this change in many respects (introducing the charge, the amount of the charge, lack of sufficient advance notice, etc.), but is anyone else seeing this as "all-you-can-eat chicken wings for $7.95"? :)

and the Royal Burger sounds pretty good to - do I see a drop in JR usage when you can get a good burger in your room for less than JR?

I'm not impressed by this change in many respects (introducing the charge, the amount of the charge, lack of sufficient advance notice, etc.), but is anyone else seeing this as "all-you-can-eat chicken wings for $7.95"? :)

I don't see any mention of a limit to the number of orders of each item that is included in the $7.95. Just says $7.95 per room.

Without a doubt. The litany of differences between US and Oz could fill a library.

Why not Disney?

I bet they'll refund the charges for those who complain after-the-fact, for the first 90 days after the change. That's probably all the guest recovery they'll need to do.

I love this post. Good job.

Why not Disney?

Do you realize you talk down to almost every person in this thread or was that your intent?

ALL For me personally, RCCL switching to cheap liquor is much more annoying. Paying $400 for a drink package comprised of cheap liquor is a deal killer for me.

You can cancel the drink package, unlike the room service charge (though as some have suggested, with enough complaining on board, GS may waive room service fees for a few sailings after implementation)

Wow! that's a Royal term isn't it!

If I agree to buy a product, and that product includes free XYZ whenever I want it, you know I am gonna be pissed when there is suddenly a charge for XYZ. even if I didn't want it.

It's nothing to do with Capitalism - or your new President. It's to do with agreeing to buy a certain product at a certain price - and then that product changing.......

As for law - I know less than nothing, but I know about people, and I know how people react to such things. Pity the beancounters at Royal either don't know of human nature - or more likely, don't care.

Just checked with Royal Caribbean PR. The charge will not go into effect on a ship until the menu has debuted on that ship, so there will be no charge for the old menu choices.

Ashley, Where can we find a roll out by ship of the new menu?

Maybe I missed it, but isn't this new policy going to be fleetwide and applicable to all cruisers, notwithstanding where they're from? In that case, isn't this whole weird conversation about capitalism and for whom cruisers should cast votes misplaced?

Pity the beancounters at Royal either don't know of human nature - or more likely, don't care.

This is not their first go around with extracting revenue from a customer.;) In this case, the PR folks might have more of an issue - especially on FB. Roll out timing and order of release could have been better to lessen the inevitable outcry that would accompany any price increase.

I don't see any mention of a limit to the number of orders of each item that is included in the $7.95. Just says $7.95 per room.

I believe it's $7.95 per order. So if you order a sandwich for delivery, it's $7.95. If, after your sandwich is delivered, you decide you also want a salad, it would cost you another $7.95. That said, I don't think there's a limit to the number of items in an order, so if you wanted 10 helpings of wings, it would still only cost you $7.95, as long as you order them all for delivery at the same time.

That said, I don't think there's a limit to the number of items in an order, so if you wanted 10 helpings of wings, it would still only cost you $7.95, as long as you order them all for delivery at the same time.

Hence my comment that as long as the quality of the meal is there, it would be cheaper to order room service than an outing at Johnny Rockets.

I believe it's $7.95 per order. So if you order a sandwich for delivery, it's $7.95. If, after your sandwich is delivered, you decide you also want a salad, it would cost you another $7.95. That said, I don't think there's a limit to the number of items in an order, so if you wanted 10 helpings of wings, it would still only cost you $7.95, as long as you order them all for delivery at the same time.

Precisely, which is why I was interpreting it as AYCE wings :) I'm going to order the equivalent of 3 or 4 lbs...and eat it all :D (I'm not wasteful, just gluttonous ;))