$7.95 Room Service Charge

I think if enough people did this it would be a powerful message . This cost cutting ie Nickel and diming can work both ways. Maybe if everyone removed grats in protest, they would be obliged to pay their own staff, and consequently find a way to change this policy.

Anything is Possible.

I think I remember reading that less than 4% of cruise passengers read Cruise Critic so even if every person reading this thread does this not clear that it would be enough to send the kind of message you trying to send.

And it seems misdirected. It just hurts the crew, not the cruise line. If you want to make a clear unequivocal statement then the proper response would be to simply not order room service. So even if more people read Cruise Critic many of them are going to come to that same conclusion that it's not fair to take this out on the crew members and there goes whatever message you were trying to send. And specifically because the way you were trying to send the message was misdirected.

If RC follows their typical SOP, the room service menus will be improved, for a while. Then slowly they will go back to the way they were when they were free.

When I called she did say that..."the fee is in conjunction with the new improved menus" I was too hot headed over the fee to even inquire further as to the "new improved menu"

Directly from RC:

The room service menu has had a fleet-wide update, with new menus and pricing designed to deliver the best service possible to all our guests.

With the exception of the Continental breakfast options, all room service orders now come with a charge of $7.95 per order, no matter what time of day they are placed. The charges are applied at the time guests place their order, so if they order from the American breakfast menu in the morning and then the All-Day menu in the afternoon they will be charged $7.95 both times.

The complimentary Continental breakfast menu offers a wide and delicious range of options, so guests can still take advantage of room service without additional fees in the morning.

Insane. No more room service for me.

So you think any of that charge will go to the waiter who brought it to your door? I expect that waiter would still want a tip ???

It doesn't when hotels charge for room service delivery so I have no expectation that it would work that way aboard a cruise ship.

Room services was always a nice little treat that I liked to take advantage of. I certainly won't be doing that anymore on my upcoming Allure sailing in April.

It's really too bad that RCI has decided to take away this free perk and instead charge a rather hefty $7.95 for it. I can understand if they extended the $3.95 late night charge to any time of day but $7.95 seems like just a huge cash grab even if they slightly upgrade the menu.

For my next cruise I was considering both NCL and RCI... but now that RCI has matched NCL in the room service charge that's one less advantage RCI had over NCL and will factor into my decision on which company to go with later in the year.

Can someone clarify for me...we sail on March 26th on the FOS...does that mean for my cruise there will NOT be a room service charge?

I personally don't care much for the room service but I have a 6 year old boy who looks forward to room service milk / cookies before bed....he will be sadly disappointed if it effects our cruise...

I have a twenty something son who will also be sadly disappointed. He likes nothing better than saying out till 2AM and coming in and order room service.

At least on Carnival he could get pizza and sandwiches at that hour. Is anything available on FOTS?

We sail April 1st and I think its pretty crappy to just tell us now!

I have a twenty something son who will also be sadly disappointed. He likes nothing better than saying out till 2AM and coming in and order room service.

At least on Carnival he could get pizza and sandwiches at that hour. Is anything available on FOTS?

We sail April 1st and I think its pretty crappy to just tell us now!

On Freedom Sorrentos is open very late as well as Cafe Promenade so he will be able to get Pizza and sandwiches at that hour for no charge.

I sent an email last nite to RCL press and got called back today from someone in the executive office. Here's the general response:

1. Room service charges are being rolled out. Based off of consumer feedback, they want to offer better service and better selections. Based off the menu shown on another post, it looks like the selection will be better. If fewer people order, that should help with the slow service.

2. Prices for next year appear to be considerably higher than what I have been able to get the past few years. RCL response was that over the last decade or so, prices have been inline with other items (airfare, etc). Also that prices are about supply and demand. Looking at how RCL fills ships, its hard to argue with that. I have booked an MSC Seaside cruise for next year. If I don't find a really good deal from RCL, we'll keep the MSC cruise.

3. RCL is investing to improve the dining experience in both the MDR and the Windjammer. This is based on feedback that they have received from customers.

I felt that I received honest responses and I was on the phone for over 10 minutes. Email the president with your concerns and they will listen. If they get enough feedback, changes may happen but realize that their 1st obligation is to the corporation and the stockholders.

I emailed last night and got a call by noon today. Pretty much the same conversation as you had. He was polite and listened to my comments. I think I made my points and he said he appreciates the customer feed back...

They are just going the way of airlines. They will fee you to death to increase the bottom line.

There is a complaint on their Facebook page by a Laura Ward that says she called Customer Service and was told the new charge was necessary to avoid bankruptcy! :o:o

Symphony of the Seas, followed by Celebrity Edge, followed by Chapter 11 ...... reasonable series of events.

mac_tlc

I just gave customer service a call and of course the girl acted surprise. After putting me on hold four times. She came back and said my cruise was the exception and my April 1st cruise would not be charged for the $7.95 room service on FOTS. I asked three times about being the exception and she never answered.

I also told her nicely, what I thought about the service charge and short notice. They are so confused there, knew nothing about it. Ain't that a shame??

I just gave customer service a call and of course the girl acted surprise. After putting me on hold four times. She came back and said my cruise was the exception and my April 1st cruise would not be charged for the $7.95 room service on FOTS. I asked three times about being the exception and she never answered.

I also told her nicely, what I thought about the service charge and short notice. They are so confused there, knew nothing about it. Ain't that a shame??

Ugg how frustrating, complete contradiction to what I was told when calling...I was told it will start 04/01 on the FOS.....I hope you are correct though for your sake...

My post to their Facebook page:

I am very disappointed to see that complimentary room service will be discontinued on yours ships. I am disappointed not because I care about room service itself (though the fee is a continuation of the disturbing nickel-and-diming occurring increasingly on your ships), but because of how the elimination of this amenity is being rolled out.

This is not a price change, but the elimination of a complimentary amenity that has been standard on Royal Caribbean ships for years. It is a perk that guests booking trips on your ships have understood to be included in the price they paid. At this very moment, it is listed as a Complimentary Dining Option on your website. To eliminate this amenity for those with no financial recourse to make a change because their Final Payment date has passed reveals the very low regard in which you must hold your loyal Guests. As somebody who until this point has enjoyed your product, this has been eye-opening, and extremely disheartening.

Their reply:

Hey Brian. Our aim was not to disappoint our guest but to introduce a new premium room service menu in order to enhance your dining experience.

And that will just punish the servers and cabin attendants and anyone else who gets part of that gratuity. It's along the same line that a chef cooks your meal incorrectly so you don't tip the server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. My fare has paid for my food. My gratuities normally pay for my food service. If I am not going to the dining room and the Windjammer is not open late at night when we want to eat in our room, I see no reason to pay twice - in my gratuities and an extra $7.95. Two can play at their game... I will pay the $7.95 as needed and cancel all gratuities.

The problem of wages is between the cruise line and their employees, it is not my responsibility to pay them, although they would like to guilt us into doing so.

The problem of wages is between the cruise line and their employees, it is not my responsibility to pay them, although they would like to guilt us into doing so.
And that's how a discretionary gratuity becomes an unremovable minimum hotel service charge.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

My post to their Facebook page:

I am very disappointed to see that complimentary room service will be discontinued on yours ships. I am disappointed not because I care about room service itself (though the fee is a continuation of the disturbing nickel-and-diming occurring increasingly on your ships), but because of how the elimination of this amenity is being rolled out.

This is not a price change, but the elimination of a complimentary amenity that has been standard on Royal Caribbean ships for years. It is a perk that guests booking trips on your ships have understood to be included in the price they paid. At this very moment, it is listed as a Complimentary Dining Option on your website. To eliminate this amenity for those with no financial recourse to make a change because their Final Payment date has passed reveals the very low regard in which you must hold your loyal Guests. As somebody who until this point has enjoyed your product, this has been eye-opening, and extremely disheartening.

Their reply:

Hey Brian. Our aim was not to disappoint our guest but to introduce a new premium room service menu in order to enhance your dining experience.

Well said! As for their response........contemptuous! Don't you love it when they don't credit you with enough intelligence to know that when they take something away it is for THEIR benefit, not yours.

And that's how a discretionary gratuity becomes an unremovable minimum hotel service charge.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

And that's how customers vote with their feet and go elsewhere. If cruise lines don't sell what their customers want that is what will happen.

And that's how customers vote with their feet and go elsewhere. If cruise lines don't sell what their customers want that is what will happen.
Time will tell. Folks said the same thing for the vast majority of changes. Maybe this will be the time it is different.

I don't understand how this is legal. Those of us <90 days till set sail have paid in full already. If you cancel (not that I would for this) you lose a lot of money. We purchased our cruises including free room service (except 12m-5am when it was $4). You can get continental breakfast only for no fee, add an egg pay $7.95 additional plus tax and gratuity. I wouldn't gripe if they had an open venue 24 hours but they don't. Those of us who are diabetic Best not have low blood sugar 🙄 and need food. I'm just annoyed I bought a cruise which included room service, now it doesn't and they won't compensate at all for it. Again how can they change the terms of our "contract". I also got word of this from social media not from RCCL.

Ok stepping off my soapbox now lol.