$7.95 Room Service Charge

This thread should be combined with the lip service and the ruined by whiners threads, a huge trifector of cruisers leaving rci:D

I see a huge backup at the new crying towel station rci is setting up on the pool deck, next to the smoking station.

They don't seem to realize though, that the customer who likes to use room service a lot is also going to maximize his ROI and quite likely go elsewhere where they don't charge.
Where's that? Holland America introduced surcharges for certain items through room service last November. In 2015, Carnival and Norwegian added surcharges for some items on their menus while Celebrity began charging a fee for late-night orders.

The gradual erosion of benefits to cruising annoys people more than a general price increase IMO.
I don't believe that is the case for most customers.

We sail in 67 days and I am just thinking about this room service thing a bit more. No way I will pay $8 for room service. I can afford it, but will not pay it simply on principle. So if I want breakfast on our balcony now where can I pick up breakfast from and take back to my cabin? Can I take a tray of food out of the Windjammer? Any other options? We will be sailing on the Oasis and it is my first time on this ship.

You can take food out of Windjammer, Solarium Cafe, Park Cafe, etc. I've not seen trays at these places, so that part might be tricky.

We always have a balcony so we can enjoy a leisurely cuppa and some pastries in the morning this is a treat for us just to sit n watch the world go by and sometimes we order when we get back from a trip instead of going to dinner just to have some quiet time with each other something which is hard to do at home sometimes I am not a whiner but just sometimes little things make a difference to your holiday.

...or I won't be booking a GS anymore. Being able to order from the MDR menu was my favorite suite perks

Excludes Junior Suites

† Beginning May 2016, guests sailing in a suite aboard Allure of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Harmony of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas or Quantum of the Seas will enjoy new benefits, visit Royal Suite Class to learn more.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifFull breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room diningcon_bulletgray_ico.gif

Excludes Junior Suites

† Beginning May 2016, guests sailing in a suite aboard Allure of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, Harmony of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Ovation of the Seas or Quantum of the Seas will enjoy new benefits, visit Royal Suite Class to learn more.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifFull breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room diningcon_bulletgray_ico.gif

unfortunately, I'm on Explorer out of Australia next month

You can take food out of Windjammer, Solarium Cafe, Park Cafe, etc. I've not seen trays at these places, so that part might be tricky.

Order a small continental breakfast the first morning and hide the tray in the closet. ;p

unfortunately, I'm on Explorer out of Australia next month

this is current now. you are good. it started last year. well it had been in effect before because we used it. but they revamped the Suite program last Summer :cool:

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but the cruise line still provides you with your meals. You just may have to go to them instead of them coming to you.

I just don't see the reason for the huge backlash. But that's me. I'm not all cosmopolitan and all that.

Cruising is a business. Just the way it works with a business. Cut overhead, make more money. Lose customers. More will come to fill in. I have no doubt.

Sorry, it is QUITE different. Most hotels don't include dining, except for maybe a breakfast buffet.
But most hotels I've been to recently charge an extra fee for room service orders that you don't pay if you go down to their restaurant.

It still doesn't answer the question if suites are going to be charged for in-room dining when ordering off the dining room menu. This is still considered room service.

On Twitter a little bit ago they said that it will be "complimentary for Grand Suites and above".

LGO2WGATwAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

LGO2WGATwAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

Translation of the reasoning behind the charge: In order to improve service, we are going to decrease demand for said service.

Disney started raising ticket prices a few years ago to outrageous levels. They justified the price increase buy stating the park would less crossed. Attendance hasn't really dropped off as anticipated but Disneys bottom line has probably increased significantly.

To be fair Disney didn't say that the parks would be less crowded. What they said was by differentiating the cost of one day tickets by time of year and by individual theme park I'm on the floor that that would tend to balance things out a little bit better. I don't know if it's worked. First of all I don't know how many people really use one day tickets.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

What kind of problems do you expect to be discussed on a website dealing with multi-million dollar cruise ships and the people who spend thousands of dollars to sail on them?

Threads just like this one, perfect cc banter, lots of whining/drama