$7.95 Room Service Charge

No, no. no. The room service charge is not going to go away. The room service EMPLOYEES are going to go away.
There's something else that may underlie that. On the Holland America board there is discussion of recent changes that had, as their underlying motivation, the reduction in service staff specifically to free up staff quarters for new sales-oriented crew members. Now, from what I recall and can gather from reading, Holland America still has a ways to go before their on-board activities are as heavily sales-focused as Royal Caribbean, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Royal Caribbean would stand still. They may very well be trying to optimize operations such that they need fewer direct service staff allowing them to have on-board more direct revenue-generating staff.

I'm in the biz and this is "A" route to go down but it's not going to make customers happy or loyal...
They're not in business to make customers happy. They're in business to make money. Making customers happy is a tool they use to accomplish their goal, and just like any other tool, it needs to be used prudently. You don't keep pounding on a nail with a hammer once the nail is driven far-enough into the wood. And "far-enough" has to be measured in dollars or heads are going to roll.

I see this as primarily a way to add what RCCL calls a premium service for additional revenue = way to add $$ to the bottom line. I worked in large company in sales / marketing for years and had to do the same thing... sell something as a value added service to justify a price increase while trying to not anger customers / lose them.
Management of customer expectations is both a science and an art. And occasionally the best path forward is to break some eggs in the process of making an omelet - in other words, incur a temporary and managed dip in customer satisfaction and the predictable dip in revenue that would accompany that to clear the way to foster even higher revenues going forward.

It is important to keep in mind there are always 2 conflicting entities in business.

1 - Customers who you are always trying to retain and have a good level of customer satisfaction. Those posting here are focused on this side of the equation.

2- Owners / shareholders. RCCL is a public company and has a fiduciary duty to shareholders to do what it can to increase revenue and earnings. A CEO will not last long if he can't do this.

Unfortunately I don't see where RCCL did a very good job of addressing the 1st group to make it somewhat of a "win-win" for both sides.

If you know the business like you say you do then you know that that kind of insight comes from market research that if you had access to it you'd be sworn to not say anything about it.

I posted on the FaceBook page that there were other things they could have done to try and give customers a feeling of a "win". For example, they could have kept a limited menu of room service items as complimentary during limited hours while still rolling out their premium, higher cost items.
The "death by a thousand cuts" approach. That sometimes works best, but just read these forums, and you'll see that there's a negative reaction to that approach too. In one of these forums (again I think it is Holland America) there's major consternation about what is actually a rather small downgrade in the grade of alcohol on each shelf. It's not like they're making the top-shelf option what used to be the middle-shelf option, but rather they're just lowering the top-shelf option down a small bit to a slightly lesser option. Yet the reaction is the same as if they started passing off budget brands as top-shelf.

I emailed last night and got a call by noon today. Pretty much the same conversation as you had. He was polite and listened to my comments. I think I made my points and he said he appreciates the customer feed back...

They are just going the way of airlines. They will fee you to death to increase the bottom line.

And yet, I saw a news bit just last night that a lot of airlines are now back to offering inflight meals.

And yet, I saw a news bit just last night that a lot of airlines are now back to offering inflight meals.
Don't read too much into that. It is a strategic move, and offered only on those most profitable domestic coast-to-coast routes. Delta, based here in Atlanta, isn't offering it from any flight to or from Atlanta, nor on any flight to or from their hubs in Minneapolis, Salt Lake City or Detroit. THIS map will give you some idea how much of their domestic flights that that covers. Right now, it is only JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX. Given the size of the United States, flights that long would invariably be international flights if they emanated from all but eight or nine other nations. That's why they're getting this treatment. If the major airlines didn't do this for those specific flights, it would be profitable for boutique airlines to step in an cannibalize the majors' cross-country business. Rest assured, that'll never be the case for a flight from Traverse City to Orlando via Detroit. Effectively, this is just a reflection of the fact that in getting rid of inflight meals, the airlines went a little too far. This is that small pullback rectifying that earlier error.

Norwegian didn't get rid of their eight dollar charge and I'm pretty sure Royal Caribbean is it going to get rid of theirs either. It won't change my future plans with Royal and I'm sure it won't change about 95% of other peoples plans with Royal. I'm not that lazy where I can't take an elevator or the stairs to Kathy promenade or the wind jammer and get my free food there to bring back to the room if needed. I've been on 17 cruises and every time I see a tray in the hallway usually has 50% or more of the food left on it. Also this is capitalism at its best people I love it when I hear people complain about companies trying to make more money. If people feel so strongly about these price increases maybe they should write to their senators and congressmen to pass laws for compassionate capitalism. This message was written with the microphone so forgive the spelling errors. If you don't want to pay the eight dollars don't order room service. Do I think there should be exceptions to people with disabilities and handicap, absolutely.

So you can't understand why people who already paid for something and are not getting what they paid for are pissed. What a jerk.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

Don't read too much into that. It is a strategic move, and offered only on those most profitable domestic coast-to-coast routes. Delta, based here in Atlanta, isn't offering it from any flight to or from Atlanta, nor on any flight to or from their hubs in Minneapolis, Salt Lake City or Detroit. THIS map will give you some idea how much of their domestic flights that that covers. Right now, it is only JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX. Given the size of the United States, flights that long would invariably be international flights if they emanated from all but eight or nine other nations. That's why they're getting this treatment. If the major airlines didn't do this for those specific flights, it would be profitable for boutique airlines to step in an cannibalize the majors' cross-country business. Rest assured, that'll never be the case for a flight from Traverse City to Orlando via Detroit. Effectively, this is just a reflection of the fact that in getting rid of inflight meals, the airlines went a little too far. This is that small pullback rectifying that earlier error.

This is interesting and shows how the markets across the world differ. Here in Oz we have two main airlines that offer a meal or snack and free drinks on every flight (even the 30 minute flight from my town to Sydney - it is a huge rush for the cabin crew and they even serve a cooked meal for the few people who opt for business class on such a short flight!!!) and a number of budget airlines that sell the food.

Yes, you can grab food in WJ and take tray back to room. I think crazy how much they are charging. To go from 0 to $8.00 is a big jump and I will not pay it but what really gets me is to add this fee to a cruise already paid in full sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First you would have to find a tray before you can take it back to your room.

I totally understand that RCI is only in this for the money, but this change is beyond unfair. I would just like to make some points.

1.) This applies to all cruises starting after Mar 27th. I can totally understand making this change for any cruise that is before the final payment date, but to retroactively apply this to current bookings is unacceptable, and smells of a class action lawsuit. While this is within their "rights," it would be the equivalent of suddenly charging to go to the WJ or MDR. Some people primarily order room service, or eat it heavily. That is one of the main venues for some people. While people always sign waivers for almost any activity, anything outside the realm or reasonable is still always open to a lawsuit. Any lawyers out there want to weigh-in on this? If we do not stand up to this now, eventually the MDR and WJ will follow suit. I thought that room service was an untouchable item. Figure they could downgrade the food and offer "alternative" items for a fee, but to charge outright would be unheard of. Definitely unheard of with a 14 day notice. I for one sent my email to the company.

2.) For everyone out there that says, "Oh well, doesn't effect me. I don't care." Well you should. If we do not act now, RCI, will believe they can change ANY rule at any time and get away with it. It has been shown in the past that if enough people complain, they will have to listen. When they kicked Diamonds out of the concierge lounge, to the diamond lounge only, that started WWIII. Eventually they caved and made a diamond event, and eventually put a diamond lounge on every ship. If we had stayed quiet then, we would not have a diamond lounge, or the 3.5 hour happy hour. For all those that didn't like dynamic dining, after enough complaints, they decided to scrap that idea as well. If enough complain, and it has to be ALOT, they will listen. Ultimately, people vote with their dollars, and right now I am limited in my cruising options to either Disney or RCI because I need a nursery to care for my baby, but due to this change, you can bet I have started exploring other options. Even the dreaded CCL. I just can't trust RCI to keep their word anymore. For a family with children, room service is amazing, as it allows you to avoid the bustle of WJ and the painstakingly long meals in the MDR.

3.) For all those anti-children people out there, THIS AFFECTS YOU, and affects you BIG. So even if you don't like room service or ever use it, as a parent, I no longer will order room service. This flushes many children with their "yucky" germs and "poor" manners and crying out into the open for meals. So you might want to pay attention, as if you thought there were a lot of kids before. Just wait, it is about to get worse.

I am sadly past final payment on two cruises, and emailed the company about my anger. I will, however, to spite them give them hell at guest services, and order a couple meals where I order EVERYTHING and then some. You can bet it will be more than 7.95 worth of food, and that takes a lot at the prices they are buying in bulk.

So I implore EVERYONE out there whether you get room service or not to email the company and post on the facebook page. They can keep deleting the posts all they want, but some people will see them, and it can affect perception and bookings. My father in law just booked his first RCI cruise for this sept. I told him to explore other options. I suggest you do the same, otherwise, we are giving RCI a blank check to change rules on us whenever they so please.

And seriously, I think this should be a class action lawsuit. There is no act of god causing this change. No safety concerns. No terrorist attacks. They are just doing something that technically is within their rights, but is beyond the normal scope. I know I sign waivers all the time, but ultimately, people still end up suing and winning because it was not within a reasonable scope of how something should have been run.

Everyone flood mbayley@rccl.com and let him know your opinion.

Also social media is strong. I would suggest flooding their facebook page as well. Bad press is one of the worst things for a business, and can affect bookings. Their are many other lines out there. If they see cancellations rising, they will start to feel pressure.

Edited by rimmit

Am I the only one who noticed that the charges are being implemented fleet wide, before the new menu rolls out to all ships? That really stinks for those people who are still being charged $7.95 for the old mediocre choices.

3.) For all those anti-children people out there, THIS AFFECTS YOU, and affects you BIG. So even if you don't like room service or ever use it, as a parent, I no longer will order room service. This flushes many children with their "yucky" germs and "poor" manners and crying out into the open for meals. So you might want to pay attention, as if you thought there were a lot of kids before. Just wait, it is about to get worse.

Yes I think that may end up being the biggest impact. It wouldn't be a big deal if the buffet operated below capacity but in my experience it is not uncommon to have trouble finding a place to sit at certain peak times. Even adding a small percentage of passengers back into that mix will be noticeable.

I am not sure what is still complimentary- I haven't seen a specific list of items- but I am hoping it is enough for us. While I'd like eggs/bacon/etc. if the kids are eating cereal anyway I'm not going to pay 8 bucks for a delivery of fake eggs and a couple strips of bacon.

Yes I think that may end up being the biggest impact. It wouldn't be a big deal if the buffet operated below capacity but in my experience it is not uncommon to have trouble finding a place to sit at certain peak times. Even adding a small percentage of passengers back into that mix will be noticeable.

Especially when that small percentage is families with small children. It doubles the mess and space that is taken up. With the high chairs that block aisles and the strollers that clog everything up along with wheel chairs good luck getting around. You think finding a seat in WJ was hard before. It is only going to get worse. We ordered room service half the time just avoid dragging two kids to WJ. That has ended and I am not the only family with kids that this will affect. Add based on the sailing an extra 5-10 percent of families hitting windjammer and it will be noticeable.

So cranky old people you better start sending Michael Bayley your emails now.

Yes I think that may end up being the biggest impact. It wouldn't be a big deal if the buffet operated below capacity but in my experience it is not uncommon to have trouble finding a place to sit at certain peak times. Even adding a small percentage of passengers back into that mix will be noticeable.<br>

Especially when that small percentage is families with small children. It doubles the mess and space that is taken up. You think finding a seat in WJ was hard before. It is only going to get worse. We ordered room service half the time just avoid dragging two kids to WJ. That has ended and I am not the only family with kids that this will affect. Add based on the sailing an extra 5-10 percent of families hitting windjammer and it will be noticeable.

On smaller ships without pizza on the promenade, there are no places to eat past nine, except maybe a cupcake or other small pastry. I've never been on a cruise where I was hungry, but that is quickly where this is going.

Edited by rimmit

I will, however, to spite them give them hell at guest services, and order a couple meals where I order EVERYTHING and then some. You can bet it will be more than 7.95 worth of food, and that takes a lot at the prices they are buying in bulk.

And seriously, I think this should be a class action lawsuit. There is no act of god causing this change. No safety concerns. No terrorist attacks. They are just doing something that technically is within their rights, but is beyond the normal scope. I know I sign waivers all the time, but ultimately, people still end up suing and winning because it was not within a reasonable scope of how something should have been run.

So you'll abuse some poor guest services employee who had NOTHING to do with this decision in order to make yourself feel better...........pathetic.

As for the lawsuit - good luck. :rolleyes:

So you'll abuse some poor guest services employee who had NOTHING to do with this decision in order to make yourself feel better...........pathetic.

Certainly, there is no basis for a lawsuit. But, the concerns about the extra crowds in the Windjammer may be valid enough that those who are concerned should voice that concern. Those who were not in favor of Dynamic Dining did so and it appears that it made a difference.

Especially when that small percentage is families with small children. It doubles the mess and space that is taken up. With the high chairs that block aisles and the strollers that clog everything up along with wheel chairs good luck getting around. You think finding a seat in WJ was hard before. It is only going to get worse. We ordered room service half the time just avoid dragging two kids to WJ. That has ended and I am not the only family with kids that this will affect. Add based on the sailing an extra 5-10 percent of families hitting windjammer and it will be noticeable.

So cranky old people you better start sending Michael Bayley your emails now.

I'm not old but I'm cranky. I just sent my email.

"Dear Mr. Bayley,

In February I took my first cruise ever on the Allure. My family, husband and two teens, were quickly sold on cruising! It was the best vacation we ever took. I instantly became loyal to Royal. Before taking Allure I searched across all cruise lines but after Allure I couldn't imagine taking another line. I have an 8 night Caribbean booked on Freedom next year and I'm currently planning 2019. You could say I've become addicted.

However, the recent implementation of a $7.95 room service fee has me rethinking my plans. The fee doesn't not apply to me directly. We like to travel in suites where the fee doesn't apply. We actually only ordered room service once anyway as we preferred the Windjammer breakfast. The Windjammer was always busy, often so busy that we took our breakfast to the pool to eat. With hundreds of passengers, mostly families with small children now having to also go to the Windjammer, in lieu of room service, it's going to be unbearably crowded. Nothing turns me off more than a toddler's germy hands reaching for the buffet food. I think this was greatly​ minimized by those families ordering room service. Now it will be a mess.

It's also crude to put this policy in effect after passengers have paid in full for a cruise that proclaimed to include free room service. Like I said, it doesn't effect me directly but it's disheartening and makes me wonder what negative policy changes will affect my future cruises.

I'm not going to cancel my 2018 cruise as we are very excited to cruise Royal again but I will look into different options for 2019 to see what other lines have to offer."

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

I totally understand that RCI is only in this for the money, but this change is beyond unfair. I would just like to make some points.

Great Post! Most sensible one I have read here. I am 2 days back from an NCL vacay. where room service was chargeable. Yes, we did buy it. Yes, it was much better than previous "free" options, and Yes, there was a significant positive difference in both the time we had to wait for delivery and the amount of detritus left out in the corridors.

However, I knew before I booked and paid exactly what I would be getting for my base fare and what would be an extra charge - and that's what made the difference.

I feel it is very wrong to change things like this with such short notice.

I probably have room service twice, and could care less about $16 - BUT I care very deeply about the principle of the matter. They can change what they want, but it should be something going forward for itineraries that have not been released for booking yet. Then its up to us as paying customers what decision we make.

What next, an upcharge to "reserve" a sunlounger perhaps?? A door charge at the comedy club???

Solution>>>>Just go to guest services and reduce your daily gratitude's by the amount of room service charges for that day. They might get the message.:evilsmile:

So you will punish the workers because RCCL is charging. It is not the workers fault. Do you really think if you do that

RCCL cares. Your not hurting them just the workers. :confused:

I don't understand how this is legal. Those of us <90 days till set sail have paid in full already. If you cancel (not that I would for this) you lose a lot of money. We purchased our cruises including free room service (except 12m-5am when it was $4). You can get continental breakfast only for no fee, add an egg pay $7.95 additional plus tax and gratuity. I wouldn't gripe if they had an open venue 24 hours but they don't. Those of us who are diabetic Best not have low blood sugar 🙄 and need food. I'm just annoyed I bought a cruise which included room service, now it doesn't and they won't compensate at all for it. Again how can they change the terms of our "contract". I also got word of this from social media not from RCCL.

Ok stepping off my soapbox now lol.

Its legal because, if you look at the terms and conditions, all your fare guarantees is room and meals; everything else, even if advertised (or advertised as free) is subject to the cruiseline's discretion. So, legally, you could board and find out that the MDR now carries a charge and that there's a charge for the various entertainment venues and that, rather than the itinerary you booked, the ship will just do donuts in the ocean for the requisite number of days.

Having said all of that, it is usually in the cruiseline's (or any business's) best interest to at least attempt to perform/provide the services advertised lest there be a consumer backlash.

I think if enough people did this it would be a powerful message . This cost cutting ie Nickel and diming can work both ways. Maybe if everyone removed grats in protest, they would be obliged to pay their own staff, and consequently find a way to change this policy.

They don't care if you do that. It doesn't hurt them it hurts the workers. Wow can't believe people would do that. :confused:

I just gave customer service a call and of course the girl acted surprise. After putting me on hold four times. She came back and said my cruise was the exception and my April 1st cruise would not be charged for the $7.95 room service on FOTS. I asked three times about being the exception and she never answered.

I also told her nicely, what I thought about the service charge and short notice. They are so confused there, knew nothing about it. Ain't that a shame??

I am on same cruise and they told me sorry but it includes our sailing.

I would never abuse guest services, but it is their job to address concerns. I am Filipino and have a very good rapport with the crew and guest services. I do not yell, but typically state my point in a very logical calm fashion. They are typically very accommodating, and have rarely given me reason to be upset. They realize that you are not wasting your time for fun. Standing in line at guest services is not anyone's idea of a fun vacation. However, they are the front line for the company and if they don't hear about it, who will relay the message. I do not think letting guest services know your concerns is "pathetic." I do agree "give them hell" was likely too strong a statement,but my version of "give them hell" is to just have a discussion with them and the supervisor expressing my concern for how they handled the situation.

And for the record I would never pull my gratuities. The crew works incredibly hard, and as someone who has been to the Philippines many times, I know what it's like on the home front, and they deserve every penny they earn.

In regards to a lawsuit, I agree that anything likely is to come of it, but it's more to make people aware of the level of aggravation regarding the circumstance. Plus nothing scares a big company more than a potential lawsuit. Often times not due to the financial fall out, but due to the poor press. That being said I have seen class action lawsuits come from what many people believe to be nothing. I got 1,900 in a paypal class action lawsuit in 2010 that I just signed some postcard, and a couple years later got a random check from the lawsuit so it can happen. In regards to the legality of it, like I said, while it is within their legal grounds, I have seen people sue for a lot less and win, which is the unfortunate state of our society. Kind of like if someone is sky diving, you sign a hundred waivers saying you could die, but lets say you were tandem skydiving, and the chute didn't deploy. They later find out that the instructor was high when he packed the chute, and had drugs in his system when he jumped out. Even though you knew there was inherent danger, a lawsuit most likely could arise from that due to the extenuating circumstances.

A more relevant example. We sign waivers that rock climbing and ice skating is dangerous on the cruise ship. However, if the belay broke, or the equipment malfunctioned causing harm or death, you can bet some people would sue. A judge would likely find RCI negligent in their equipment maintenance and win. While these are life and death circumstances, again, I have seen people sue for less and win.

Edited by rimmit

Great Post! Most sensible one I have read here. I am 2 days back from an NCL vacay. where room service was chargeable. Yes, we did buy it. Yes, it was much better than previous "free" options, and Yes, there was a significant positive difference in both the time we had to wait for delivery and the amount of detritus left out in the corridors.

However, I knew before I booked and paid exactly what I would be getting for my base fare and what would be an extra charge - and that's what made the difference.

I feel it is very wrong to change things like this with such short notice.

I probably have room service twice, and could care less about $16 - BUT I care very deeply about the principle of the matter. They can change what they want, but it should be something going forward for itineraries that have not been released for booking yet. Then its up to us as paying customers what decision we make.

What next, an upcharge to "reserve" a sunlounger perhaps?? A door charge at the comedy club???

Thank you. This is my point. It's the principle of the matter. For most who cruise $8.00 is negligible, but it's the short notice. It should only be applicable to cruises in which final payment was not made. If we let RCI get away with this, we are giving them a blank check to "do donuts in the ocean" as another member stated. Who says that they actually need to honor any of their cruise contract, even though we are expected to honor ours? This is just the beginning for "last second" changes unless we can stop it now. As another member stated, next time we will be charged a surcharge for the main theater shows, and to use the rock wall, or play mini golf on a whim. After that it will be ALL FOOD!

We need to stop this NOW! Before it hits MDR and WJ right before your next cruise.