Let's talk EDGE - what are your first impressions?

russg140

I like the contemporary look of the interior design. It certainly doesn't look like my gran was involved which is all good.

The MC will be an asset during the tendering process. It has the potential to provide an enjoyable dining experience too. It is gimmicky to some extent but will also have some real practical value. I expect those with limited mobility will like it a lot when tendering.

The infinity balconies are a double edged sword. As usual Celebrity are being a little disingenuous with their marketing. I watched the live video in which management implied that Celebrity balcony cabins are now significantly bigger than the competition. This was because they are now including the balcony space into their figures. Compare the real square footage to existing S and M class ships and the differences are minimal. Those who enjoy soaking up the sun in the Caribbean and other sunny destinations might find their new design disappointing. That said, they could be very good in colder climates.

I like the significant additional choices passengers can now make due to the increase in accommodations. I also like how some suites can have additional rooms adjoining them to offer family accommodation.

The Retreat is a great idea and gives Celebrity the opportunity to deliver what they have been marketing for the last couple of years but falling short. Having suite amenities all in one area makes a lot of sense. Having a more modern lounge area is a big improvement on Michaels Club and people will now have the opportunity to enjoy pre and post dinner drinks without having to move around the ship.

Hopefully pax in the Retreat won't suffer the chair hogging that is regularly reported from existing pool areas too. So it's all good so far. .

Really wish Celebrity/RCCL would put more money into the quality of food, service and overall live entertainment rather than stupid silly gimmicks like this dumb magic carpet. What a waste of $$$.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100% agree but it is all about marketing- differentiation from other cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the first time in over 20 years of cruising, watching new ships built over the years, this ship design came as somewhat a disappointment for me:

Unless I am missing something - what exactly in the ship design is the" EDGE"?

Interior -too modern, cold, boring color gray. I wish they came up with some inviting colors. Color gray is too depressing for me.

Modern furniture looks cheap and not upscale. I don't see it to be classy, elegant and comfortable.

Not enough loungers around the pool.

Solarium looks too simple, boring and not inviting.

I wish they designed T pool, which I absolutely love on "M" class.

" Magic carpet" idea is silly. Doesn't seems to add any luxury aspects to the ship design.

X couldn't pick any worst itineraries for this new ship.

Prices are plain stupid.

I wish they gave more information regarding all eating venues, lounges and theater. Maybe that will change my mind to book in the first year. Have to wait and see complete product. No intention of booking.

First of all, I love Nate Berkus - he used to be in Bed, Bath, and Beyond and on the Ellen Show. The ship looks beautiful but very modern. My concern as a women in her late 50's is that it is designed for a much younger crowd. That being said, I would love to go on the Edge someday. My husband and I are moving to Florida next year and can drive to Fort Lauderdale saving a ton of money which will give us more access to cruise.

Nate didn't design it, he only presented the ships at the launch - Kelly Hoppen designed the cabins (there is a Q&A sticky on the top of the main X board). X's target market is the younger crowd, hence their design of the new ship. Glad you're moving closer to the 'action' :cool:.

I think the real intent of the Magic Carpet hasn't yet been fully revealed which makes it look a little dumb. IMO Celebrity hasn't incorporated it and committed to a whole new class of luxury / air conditioned tenders that specifically join with the MC concept for no reason at all. I suspect one intent behind that is to be able to visit more out of the way destinations - ports that today can't accommodate a ship the size of Edge (or any of the Solstice class ships for that matter) and at those ports they will tender guests ashore when the ship can't dock. The ability to raise the MC up to higher decks when not in use for tendering is a by product rather than the real reason for the MC.

My first impression was that the photo I saw was at the shipyard and she was nearly finished since there was a large yellow/orange construction crane on her side. Then I looked at it further and realized that it's part of the ship!

Neat idea I suppose, it'll attract first timers for the gee-whiz factor. But like the similar Rising Tide Bar on the Oasis Class ships, it's really just a gimmick. I think it'll look better if they tone down the color to match the rest of the superstructure.

Too many modern things for many old people. If they are trying to catter a younger crowd, they should improve entertainment and on-board activities first.

As a member of the "younger crowd" I think they are spot on with their appeal. Celebrity is no longer appealing to the older crowd, that market is already tapped over at HAL

My initial impression: somebody down in Miami finally figured out that the whole NCL "ship within a ship" concept is NOT going away and that whole "The Haven" idea generates revenue. First they copied "freestyle dining" and then they started in with the "suites get a separate restaurant" idea and now this. If you've experienced it on NCL as we have I think you'll find it quite satisfying and am anxious to see how Celebrity's version compares.

Oh, sure, not EVERYBODY will like it; some will complain about so-called "elitism" but we know the way the sailing winds are blowing here.

As a member of the "younger crowd" I think they are spot on with their appeal. Celebrity is no longer appealing to the older crowd, that market is already tapped over at HAL

Not true regarding HAL.... still plenty of 55+ travel with Celebrity. Some went to more real luxury - Azamara and Oceania.

My initial impression: somebody down in Miami finally figured out that the whole NCL "ship within a ship" concept is NOT going away and that whole "The Haven" idea generates revenue. First they copied "freestyle dining" and then they started in with the "suites get a separate restaurant" idea and now this. If you've experienced it on NCL as we have I think you'll find it quite satisfying and am anxious to see how Celebrity's version compares.

Oh, sure, not EVERYBODY will like it; some will complain about so-called "elitism" but we know the way the sailing winds are blowing here.

In MHO - for the price of the Haven, I've rather sail with Oceania.

In MHO - for the price of the Haven, I've rather sail with Oceania.

We've been on Seabourn and in NCL's Haven (as well as various cabins on Celebrity and Royal). We're probably weird, but we find the little luxury ships too small, not enough to do on board. So for us, the Edge sounds like the perfect mix as we enjoyed the decor, vibe and clientele of Reflection and Eclipse, and we loved the Haven experience but the rest of the Escape was not a great match for us. Here's hoping!

Not true regarding HAL.... still plenty of 55+ travel with Celebrity. Some went to more real luxury - Azamara and Oceania.

Not saying that there aren't or wont be plenty of 55+ guests who enjoy Celebrity. I am sure that will always be plenty. I am saying its no longer their target market.

We've been on Seabourn and in NCL's Haven (as well as various cabins on Celebrity and Royal). We're probably weird, but we find the little luxury ships too small, not enough to do on board. So for us, the Edge sounds like the perfect mix as we enjoyed the decor, vibe and clientele of Reflection and Eclipse, and we loved the Haven experience but the rest of the Escape was not a great match for us. Here's hoping!

I agree. We found Oceania and Azamara a little lacking in the entertainment dept. Celebrity is quite a step up on that. Suite class on M- and S-class ships was already quite nice, but The Retreat concept kicks it up another big notch. So Celebrity seems to offer the food and service of a luxury (or at least near-luxury) ship plus the entertainment that can only come from a larger ship. I think Edge class will be a winner.

While I think it looks good, my real concern is the number of loungers and absence of shade at the main pool.

The ship is similar in size to the S Class. Now think of the S Class pool area where most of one side is taken up by costly private cabanas. The other side has almost no shade, as its only covered by a narrow jogging track.

In addition, on S class, there are hundreds of loungers on the upper deck surrounding the pool area. On this ship, it looks like the port side will not have loungers on the upper deck/jogging track.

So the math is simple...less space for loungers on both the pool deck and the deck above the pool.

That's going to be a huge problem on warm sea days!

Furthermore, the limited shade areas is a huge problem :eek:

Loungers in the pool should be recessed or removed...they take up alot of space but only used by a few

Still appeals to us after many yrs and cruises on X...

I think they value their experienced clientele while cultivating new ....

As a result , they re introduced live music of an enjoyable kind over the awful stuff they had for awhile...still room to add more jazz in lounges, island & jimmy buffet style sounds in Carib

Air conditioning and wind tunnels when the door opens will be interesting to see addressed.

One would assume that MOST people will be smart enough to keep the inner doors closed when they are actually wanting to sit on the balcony section and get fresh air in hot weather climates. But it will be nice to be able to leave the glass balcony wall closed and the inner doors open for more walkable space! Many River case ships already have the type of balconies. This is nothing new - just new in the ocean cruise industry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How can Magic Carpet be a specialty restaurant? Will it have a kitchen?

When it is going to be a Specialty Restaurant it will stop on Deck 5 and will most likely use a kitchen that is on that deck.

There is a link below to a short video that explains the use of the Magic Carpet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But celebrity has also said it will act as a special ty restaurant when parked on deck 14, I believe

Not on deck 14. It will be an extension of the specialty restaurants when on deck 5. On deck 14 it will be an extension of the resort deck (pool deck) offering drinks and music, much like an extra pool side bar/lounge area. On deck 16, it will be a place for special events and dining that doesn't require hot food items to be served. Perhaps a salad bar, or desert bar.

BTW: the idea for MC started as a way to make tendering more efficient and pleasant. As the idea was refined, it became the Magic Carpet with more capability than just for tendering, making it much more useful.

For an idea of the process that went into the design for the Magic Carpet watch this YouTube video of a presentation made at the reveal event. The segment regarding the MC starts at the 6 minute 43 second mark.

Some of the early design ideas were pretty strange!

Not on deck 14. It will be an extension of the specialty restaurants when on deck 5. On deck 14 it will be an extension of the resort deck (pool deck) offering drinks and music, much like an extra pool side bar/lounge area. On deck 16, it will be a place for special events and dining that doesn't require hot food items to be served. Perhaps a salad bar, or desert bar.

BTW: the idea for MC started as a way to make tendering more efficient and pleasant. As the idea was refined, it became the Magic Carpet with more capability than just for tendering, making it much more useful.

For an idea of the process that went into the design for the Magic Carpet watch this YouTube video of a presentation made at the reveal event. The segment regarding the MC starts at the 6 minute 43 second mark.

Some of the early design ideas were pretty strange!

Thanks for clarifying all of this SFF!

Sorry but I'm still not clear.....a salad bar is "the ultimate specialty restaurant in the sky?" Hmmmmm?

I said "Perhaps". At this time, I haven't seen enough information about how it will be used when at the top deck to know exact details. Your guess is as good as mine. I do remember hearing during the reveal that items served while on deck 16 will not require heating of some kind. This could be a hint, or just a slip of the tongue. If you have better information, please share it with us instead of making fun of what other people are posting.