MSC vs. Carnival. Which do you prefer and why?

Carleeb12

28 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I agree that, especially on the Celebration and Mardi Gras, there are numerous quick food options that are superior to what I saw on MSC Seaside.

Tom

Loved the beignets at Emerils although they werent free but minimal cost. The shrimp po boy they cheaped out on.

IMG_2193.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

While I agree there is no comparison in the amount of different free lunch options, there are grab and go options, just not like Carnivals options which are way better.

But those grab n go options on the outside edge of the buffet adjacent to the pool are the same grab n go options that are available inside at the buffet.  There are no totally different places like the half dozen I mentioned that are available on Carnival. 

MSC is for those that like to cruise European style, those that like to cruise on the cheap, even substantially cheaper than Carnival many times and those that like to cruise at the opposite end of the spectrum in the YC.   They will grab those cruisers that are disgruntled with their normal cruise line of choice and get them to flip, but after giving them two tries over five years, we're done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KyloRen said:

One of us should make this thread on the MSC forum. I wish it was more active, curious what they would say. Some of these responses have been very thoughtful and have a lot of good information on MSC. 

Booze Packages:  I noticed someone said upgrading to the premium drink package was a waste of money. I just returned home from a 17 day cruise to Hawaii and I purchased the top tier drink package and I think it was well worth it to be able to get the premium alcohols. I happened to enjoy things that aren’t just well cocktails though. I think that’s where I like Carnivals drink package, there is only one price and the

minimum for drinks is much higher as I basically live at Alchemy bar. You couldn’t get a drink anywhere near that on MSC I think is my issue and why I ultimately upgraded. I am not going to want to drink well cocktails, pina coladas and Miami vices all week. 

https://profcruise.com/msc-bar-menus-and-drink-prices-2023/

21F1C0A1-4587-47BF-AAE0-B6E11B9D9E59.png

67531C87-5DCD-4A18-923C-45612F2B10CB.png

FF571C58-2E08-4179-890E-A9E3331F9B1B.png

Not all of the menus that you see online are still valid.  The G&T menu has changed, there was also a smoked cocktail menu that has been totally eliminated.  Well liquor only comes into place if you have the Easy package or if your clueless and have the Easy Plus package and just order a screwdriver instead of a Tito's and OJ.  If you order a screw driver or any other drink without specifying your alcohol brand, you will get bar liquor, which was Skol vodka, Skol rum and other rotgut.

It costs 20.00 a day to upgrade from Easy Plus to Premium ahead of your cruise.  In order to make it worthwhile, you would need to drink 7 of those 13.00 drinks everyday and your drink choice would be limited to those 7 drinks or a la carte options that are over the 10.00 Easy Plus limit, like having Grey Goose instead of Tito's.  Or Zacapa 23 rum instead of Myers.  

Edited by CruizinSusan70
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Not all of the menus that you see online are still valid.  The G&T menu has changed, there was also a smoked cocktail menu that has been totally eliminated.  Well liquor only comes into place if you have the Easy package or if your clueless and have the Easy Plus package and just order a screwdriver instead of a Tito's and OJ.  If you order a screw driver or any other drink without specifying your alcohol brand, you will get bar liquor, which was Skol vodka, Skol rum and other rotgut.

It costs 20.00 a day to upgrade from Easy Plus to Premium ahead of your cruise.  In order to make it worthwhile, you would need to drink 7 of those 13.00 drinks everyday and your drink choice would be limited to those 7 drinks or a la carte options that are over the 10.00 Easy Plus limit, like having Grey Goose instead of Tito's.  Or Zacapa 23 rum instead of Myers.  

Thanks for this info!! This is perfect and for what type of drinker I am I think I’ll get a good value for my money, I got the drink package with my Aurea suite and then I only paid 250 for the hubby and I too get the premium drink package. 

my cruise is in 25ish days so I’m really excited to see what they have. I’m going in with as open of a mind as possible. I wish they had YC on this boat or any of the speciality restaurants. I think I’m going on one of the smallest and oldest ships they have in the fleet. :x The boat is about the size/age of the Miracle (which I love the size, but oh my gosh I hate the Miracle!) I hope/think this boat will be nicer. 

I upgraded to the premium a few days ago, after my room upgrade bid was accepted. I can’t stress enough how much I loved the premium on Princess. It truly made my cruise. This is gross to admit but I drank the boat out of their monkey and the Botanist in most their bars (I’m sure others were helping!)  I’m a massive speakeasy, bespoke cocktail and tiki fan so I’m going in hot. The ability on the Princess app to just order the best (ok let’s be real most expensive) booze was fantastic. I get a lot more wuss about asking for what I want in person so

I’ll see how this goes! I know this isn’t a Princess discussion but the MSC booze package seems equivalent in price/ value. 

ps: what!? That menus  already changed! Those photos from the MSC are only from April the site says 😮 damn it I would have loved to try spiked cocktails. They better still have that pepper martini I’m excited to try that. 

EC78FDC8-B3FF-4369-81D5-AA67E42A724E.png

7F212EAD-C15F-44F7-AEC2-16B3548CDFB7.jpeg

Edited by KyloRen

Tried MSC via the Orchestra when she first came over.  Valiant effort by crew to appease American customers.  The simple facts are, there is no reason to try them again….  Just did not cut the mustard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

…. we basically haven't enjoyed a dinner in the MDR on Carnival in easily 10 years (save one or two while on the hunt for prime rib)!

Tom

Wow.  For my wife and I the MDR dinner experience is key to a good cruise.  An occasional dinner on the Lido is OK, and the very occasional dinner at a specialty restaurant (at $100+ all-in for two) is also OK, but most of our dinners will be in the MDR and we need a decent MDR experience.  If we were unhappy with almost every MDR dinner we would have fled Carnival long  before ten years!  

1 minute ago, Calnev1 said:

Wow.  For my wife and I the MDR dinner experience is key to a good cruise.  An occasional dinner on the Lido is OK, and the very occasional dinner at a specialty restaurant (at $100+ all-in for two) is also OK, but most of our dinners will be in the MDR and we need a decent MDR experience.  If we were unhappy with almost every MDR dinner we would have fled Carnival long  before ten years!  

Tom dances to an entirely different orchestra when it comes to dining. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

We just got off the same ship this past Sunday and we have decided that MSC is permanently in our rear view mirror.

Lol. I'm going to give them one more shot.  Feb in an interior YC cabin. Hoping the food quality,  service and all those uncrowded exclusive  YC areas will make for  a much better cruise experience then I had in a regular cabin in May. I do not fly. Only cruise from NY/NJ . Fed up with NCL and all their B.S. So Glad Carnival is homeporting out of NYC the next year and a half. I'm on Venezia in October. Looking at booking Venezia a few more times before heads down to Fla. December 2024

Edited by NYcruzzer

1 minute ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

You would too if you had Emeril cook for you.

It was nit a knock, Tom and I go way back.  I have had Emeril cook for me, on his show and ate at his restaurants on land and see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Lol. I'm going to give them one more shot.  Feb in an interior YC cabin. Hoping the food quality,  service and all those uncrowded exclusive  YC areas will make for  a much better cruise experience then I had regular cabin in May. I do not fly. Only cruise from NY/NJ . Fed up with NCL and all their B.S. So Glad Carnival is homeporting out of NYC the next year and a half.

I can tell you from firsthand experience that unless you want to go to a show, you literally can stay in the YC enclave the whole day.  The pool area, pool side mini buffet, dedicated MDR, top sail lounge are all yours to explore.  Good luck on the YC in the Meraviglia.

Just now, CruizinSusan70 said:

I can tell you from firsthand experience that unless you want to go to a show, you literally can stay in the YC enclave the whole day.  The pool area, pool side mini buffet, dedicated MDR, top sail lounge are all yours to explore.  Good luck on the YC in the Meraviglia.

Thanks for the info. I've heard that YC many folks on C.C say they would only sail MSC in a YC cabin or suite. Looking most forward to the express check in at the pier. In May the check-in process for us commoners in steerage took 3 hours. To say check-in at Brooklyn  Terminal is a disaster is an understatement to say the least.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Lol. I'm going to give them one more shot.  Feb in an interior YC cabin. Hoping the food quality,  service and all those uncrowded exclusive  YC areas will make for  a much better cruise experience then I had in a regular cabin in May. I do not fly. Only cruise from NY/NJ . Fed up with NCL and all their B.S. So Glad Carnival is homeporting out of NYC the next year and a half. I'm on Venezia in October. Looking at booking Venezia a few more times before heads down to Fla. December 2024

BEWARE the Interlopers!

9 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

BEWARE the Interlopers!

Lol if I see any I'll make them "walk the plank" don't you know. Just like those scallywags I saw trying to sneak into Havana area on the Horizon circa summer of 2018

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

They were all at the buffet.   MSC doesn't have anything similar to Guy's Burgers, Shaq's Big Chicken, Pizza Pirate, The Deli, or Java Blue Cafe take out and if you want Mexican, you need to pay for it either as all you can eat for 17.99 or a la carte.  A burrito was 10.79.  At Blue Iguana Cantina, they are included and free.

Adore Blue Iguana Cantina and think of it when i am off a carnival ship......burritos made exactly how you want them!  Enjoyed Blue Iguana so much.

4 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Thanks for the info. I've heard that YC many folks on C.C say they would only sail MSC in a YC cabin or suite. Looking most forward to the express check in at the pier. In May the check-in process for us commoners in steerage took 3 hours. To say check-in at Brooklyn  Terminal is a disaster is an understatement to say the least.   

Our hardsided luggage got soaked.  Have never gotten clothes wet before using hard side.  Must have been sitting in a deep puddle.  

12 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

Yep - specialty dining all the way, we just factor that expense into the vacation budget. It allows us (generally) better food, service, and ambience - aka, no dancing waiters! Plus, I've saved a ton of money on my car insurance, errrrr..., "fine" wines (using the 50% discount on the first night and first elegant night - or whatever it's called this week).

Tom

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Our hardsided luggage got soaked.  Have never gotten clothes wet before using hard side.  Must have been sitting in a deep puddle.  

Wow that sucks..Brooklyn cruise terminal is the worst. Traffic around the port is a nightmare. To me it appears that the terminal is not suited to handle a ship with 5K plus passengers. Really wish they homeported out of NYC. I'm sure NYC officials sold MSC a story on how Brooklyn terminal will have no issues handling that many passengers and vehicles. Doesn't Princess depart from Brooklyn in the Fall ? What's going to happen on Sundays when parking lot (at $45.00 a day) is filled on Saturday by Princess cruisers ? I'm taking one more shot due to getting such a low fare for YC. Fingers crossed

4 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Wow that sucks..Brooklyn cruise terminal is the worst. Traffic around the port is a nightmare. To me it appears that the terminal is not suited to handle a ship with 5K plus passengers. Really wish they homeported out of NYC. I'm sure NYC officials sold MSC a story on how Brooklyn terminal will have no issues handling that many passengers and vehicles. Doesn't Princess depart from Brooklyn in the Fall ? What's going to happen on Sundays when parking lot (at $45.00 a day) is filled on Saturday by Princess cruisers ? I'm taking one more shot due to getting such a low fare for YC. Fingers crossed

Yep, Princess uses Brooklyn according to their website.  We have 14 day repositioning cruises lined up in August of 2024 and August of 2025 on the Enchanted that goes from Fort Lauderdale to NYC.  Stops at Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Barbados, Dominica, St. Maarten, San Juan, with 6 sea days.   Since we'll be using Uber or Lyft to get home, the parking situation won't effect us.  But, the cruise after ours goes to New England and Canada for a week.

6 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Yep, Princess uses Brooklyn according to their website.  We have 14 day repositioning cruises lined up in August of 2024 and August of 2025 on the Enchanted that goes from Fort Lauderdale to NYC.  Stops at Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Barbados, Dominica, St. Maarten, San Juan, with 6 sea days.   Since we'll be using Uber or Lyft to get home, the parking situation won't effect us.  But, the cruise after ours goes to New England and Canada for a week.

Princess does use the Brooklyn Navy yard