MSC vs. Carnival. Which do you prefer and why?

Carleeb12

I always hear comparisons between Carnival and Royal Caribbean, but I know very little about MSC because I rarely hear anybody mention it. It seems that it is often cheaper than Carnival (I just did some quick comparisons on each of the websites to confirm this), but I always thought MSC was a more upscale cruise line, so this has me confused.

MSC has a more European flair. We like them, but whether you would depends on why you like Carnival. The food will be a little different. (My experience is on Divina from MIA). Their musical entertainment is very good, all live, no DJ. But because there is a large percentage of international passengers, there are no comedians. there is Trivia, but not the pool games. There are only four categories of cabins, you book by 'experience'. Bella experience is the least expensive and includes inside, OV, and balcony cabins. Fantastica is a step up, with more benefits, but not necessarily better locations. Aurea is the third experience and the only one that offers a form of anytime dining. Then there is the Yacht Club, sometimes compared to the Haven on NCL. You cannot carry any beverages onto the ship. No water, no soda, no wine...

If you want more in depth comparison, go to the MSC board here at CC. If the price is right, give it a try. There are experts there that can give you advice on cabin selection. EM

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MSC has a more European flair. We like them, but whether you would depends on why you like Carnival. The food will be a little different. (My experience is on Divina from MIA). Their musical entertainment is very good, all live, no DJ. But because there is a large percentage of international passengers, there are no comedians. there is Trivia, but not the pool games. There are only four categories of cabins, you book by 'experience'. Bella experience is the least expensive and includes inside, OV, and balcony cabins. Fantastica is a step up, with more benefits, but not necessarily better locations. Aurea is the third experience and the only one that offers a form of anytime dining. Then there is the Yacht Club, sometimes compared to the Haven on NCL. You cannot carry any beverages onto the ship. No water, no soda, no wine...

If you want more in depth comparison, go to the MSC board here at CC. If the price is right, give it a try. There are experts there that can give you advice on cabin selection. EM

Very well said!

I went on MSC Divina in December .... I will not ever go back on that brand boat again

Now we were in the Yacht Club ... Love the service you get up there - We made good friends on this boat staff and others

With that being said for us personally the boat was not our style - First thing we have 2 kids neither one of them enjoyed the kids program they went the first night and never went back - my kids absolutely love the kids program on carnival - Another issue with my youngest whom is 11 - since its a european boat many of the guests are there and now my child is certainly not a trouble maker or anything like that her voice is just a little loud and she likes to goof around and have fun and we kept having these older european couples stare at us like shut her the hell up (Not MSC fault -- Now the staff loved my daughter)

Secondly the hubby and I love the piano bar that is where we spend every night - needless to say there is no piano bar like what you find on carnival - there piano bar involves a guy sitting at a piano playing music - no requests no jokes no group of peopel singing along - for that matter the guy did not even sing

Third - hands down I prefer the food on carnival - I am a picky eater so not their fault but because of their lack of choice on the dining menu each night i literally ended up eating the same thing every night for dinner - even going into their lido buffet the food just was not that great my husband eats everything and was excited a little bit to have some variety but he even agreed he prefered carnival food better

Fourth - nothing beats 24 hour availability of good ice cream - msc ice cream is not as good as carnival's - not to mention its only open for a few hours a day so you have to make sure you find it and miss it

Fifth - I liked that they had ton's of pools but what I did not like was that they were salt water

Now one thing I will rave about that I am sad and wish the other boats did was the picture packages and the spa packages -- I pre-ordered pictures and got 100 pictures of small and large sizes for $98 - I also pre-ordered a spa package as we never do the spa stuff but I thought since it was christmas and first time on the boat not to mention I just graduated that I would splurge as they had a package for $475 - which gave 2 people 3 massages each - So that was amazing

Anyways - after going on that trip and not really enjoying the boat we decided that we are just going to stick to carnival - Why waste our time on other ships when carnival has everything we love (LOVE CLOUD 9) and we can rack up our days to become platinum/diamond members - Not to mention honestly you really can't beat the price we have found they have the best rates and what i would pay to cruise on another line i can generally get another cruise out of the savings from carnival

• Like 1

We are trying MSC Seaside in 2018. I'll be happy to report back.

Most of the complaints I've seen about MSC are in regards to the international focus (foreign languages, slow dinners, European menus, etc). We're ok with all of that, and we're low maintenance, so I think we will enjoy it.

At any rate the fares are very enticing compared even to Carnival.

And as hotsauce mentioned they are putting a purpose-built comedy club on Seaside.

• 6 years later...

Well I have never cruised on MSC. I have heard a lot of good and a lot of bad. However I used to sell on Carnival a lot but since I have had 2 separate issues on Carnival that Carnival refuses to do anything about I am more than happy to switch to MSC. Carnival has a no smoking and no drugs policy. Twice I have had issues on two different ships with smoking cigarettes and pot in the balconies beside me and twice I complained on the ship and when I got off the ship and both times Carnival said we are sorry but there is nothing we can do about it. So I will be giving MSC a chance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sailed Carnival for 1st time in Jan to Hawaii & LOVED it (we had sailed Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, NCL & DCL prior). Bartender said longer Carnival cruises r the best.

Sailed MSC B2B in Feb (Caribbean) & B2B in May (Europe) & won't be back. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Sailed Carnival for 1st time in Jan to Hawaii & LOVED it (we had sailed Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, NCL & DCL prior). Bartender said longer Carnival cruises r the best.

Sailed MSC B2B in Feb (Caribbean) & B2B in May (Europe) & won't be back. 

Hi - to help those of us who haven't been on both, what is it about MSC that will keep you from going back?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hi - to help those of us who haven't been on both, what is it about MSC that will keep you from going back?

On both cruises (which was odd--2 very different demographics), I have never encountered more rude passengers in my life!

Complete disregard for common courtesy & politeness by far too many--ramming trays in the back of others in the buffet, ignoring lines, physically moving children aside, etc.--and sadly, I saw these things multiple times.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2017 at 9:20 PM, Essiesmom said:

There are only four categories of cabins, you book by 'experience'. Bella experience is the least expensive and includes inside, OV, and balcony cabins. Fantastica is a step up, with more benefits, but not necessarily better locations. Aurea is the third experience and the only one that offers a form of anytime dining. Then there is the Yacht Club, sometimes compared to the Haven on NCL.

Honestly, this is what has held me back from sailing with MSC.  I find the “experience” breakdown feels too much like a caste system.  At least on paper - I don’t know if that’s how it feels when you are living it.  I find that distasteful.  My favorite thing about cruising is how “democratic” it is with everyone in the same boat (pun intended).

I recognize that other lines are moving in this direction, too, with the things like the “ship within a ship” concepts and “Aqua class” with a special restaurant on Celebrity.  I HATE it, though, and will resist it kicking and screaming!

Edited by Drew B 58
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, hard_eight said:

Holy thread revival. Just to complain that you have no reference. 

I guess I didn't make myself clear to some. I prefer MSC. We am looking forward to out first cruise on MSC. We are older and Carnival does not enforce its policies like others we have cruised, Disney, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. So I stand by what I said I prefer MSC. All cruise lines have their good sides and bad sides. I may change my mind after sailing on MSC but for now Carnival is at the bottom of my list. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, hyaduckh said:

I guess I didn't make myself clear to some. I prefer MSC. We am looking forward to out first cruise on MSC. We are older and Carnival does not enforce its policies like others we have cruised, Disney, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. So I stand by what I said I prefer MSC. All cruise lines have their good sides and bad sides. I may change my mind after sailing on MSC but for now Carnival is at the bottom of my list. 

So you have NOT sailed MSC, yet you “prefer” it?  Sounds like an opinion we should give a lot of weight to!!!

I have not sailed MSC (and explained above why I don’t intend to).  However, since it’s not a line I’ve personally experienced, I have no way of knowing which I would prefer..,

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, KKB said:

On both cruises (which was odd--2 very different demographics), I have never encountered more rude passengers in my life!

Complete disregard for common courtesy & politeness by far too many--ramming trays in the back of others in the buffet, ignoring lines, physically moving children aside, etc.--and sadly, I saw these things multiple times.

48 minutes ago, KKB said:

49 minutes ago, KKB said:

I would expect rude passengers on any cruise. We are older and like a slower lifestyle and are hoping that MSC will make us happy which Carnival did not. We have sailed Carnival a lot and hope MSC can fill the void. Disney and Princess are our favorite though but are higher priced. We would love to sail the higher class of ships but we need to fit in the lower classes like Carnival and MSC. Our neighbors only sail MSC and they rave about it.

To clarify I did not intentionally revive this tread. I just joined CruiseCritic and they sent me an email and asked which one I prefer. I answered their question to the best of my ability knowing I only had one point of reference. Why CruiseCritic chose this topic to ask me I have no idea especially since the post was so old and I did not notice it being old. Maybe CruiseCritic chose to reopen the subject. Whatever the reason I was only replying to CruiseCritic so please overlook my post if it offends you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

That's horrible. Being in queue to eat is not supposed to be a contact sport. That would certainly ruin a cruise.

I've read their customer service leaves a bad taste for some people because their demeanor is more distant and abrupt, but for passengers to treat each other poorly is unacceptable.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Have only sailed msc, ncl and ccl. 

We like them all.  For different reasons.  

Msc is the "most different" of the three. My biggest critique was sloooooow mdr.  Like 90-120 mins. But i cleared my plates.  

Some folks ***** about the captain making announcements in 4 languages.  Merica! Didnt faze me, c'est la vie los amigos. 

The shows, i was told, are not language based due to multi nationalities of guests. We loved 75% of the shows. 

Stunning ships. Gorgeous. 

Cabins are pretty much the same. Staff also, very solid. 

Great pizza in buffet. Many choices daily

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hyaduckh said:

To clarify I did not intentionally revive this tread. I just joined CruiseCritic and they sent me an email and asked which one I prefer. I answered their question to the best of my ability knowing I only had one point of reference. Why CruiseCritic chose this topic to ask me I have no idea especially since the post was so old and I did not notice it being old. Maybe CruiseCritic chose to reopen the subject. Whatever the reason I was only replying to CruiseCritic so please overlook my post if it offends you.

I personally am quite ok revisting this topic - many of us didn't participate in it the first go 'round.

Have you tried HAL? Sounds like it may be a better fit than Carnival. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I personally am quite ok revisting this topic - many of us didn't participate in it the first go 'round.

Have you tried HAL? Sounds like it may be a better fit than Carnival. 

Maybe that is why CruisCritic asked me the question trying to revive the tread. I have not tried HAL, our Celerity, or NCL. We would like to try them but right now as my wife works so we are limited and just look for cruise lines departing from ports closer to the house that go on 7 day or less cruises. We seem to find destinations we like from one of the four we have cruised on. I am sure we will get to HAL and the rest in a few years.

• Like 1

Carnival has many more itineraries from US ports than MSC, and I like their food and shows slightly better than MSC. I also find their customer service to be more responsive.

I like that MSC sometimes has better solo rates, I love their overnights at Ocean Cay, and their pizza is awesome. I also like the older and calmer clientele with fewer kids. The Carnival 24 hour party atmosphere can be a bit much.

I think I slightly prefer MSC, all things considered, mostly because of the lower number of kids.

• Like 1