Summit sailing delayed a day

manda9100

I just received an email stating that my 5 night cruise departing Mar 27 on the Summit is being delayed a day. We are not going to be able to board until Mar 28 so that repairs can be made on the ship. The email was very vague and didn't tell us what that does to our itinerary.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Will they pay for our accommodations & food for the night we are actually supposed to be on the ship? Future cruise credit? I plan on calling first thing in the morning to hopefully get some answers. I'm frustrated but obviously want the ship to be operating properly.

The M-class ships still have, as far as I know, gas turbine engines. That's why I think the official name is GTS Celebrity Summit, which stands for Gas Turbine Ship, iirc. These engines create much less pollution and no soot, but they have been troublesome over the years.

My wife and I are booked on this cruise also. An extra night in San Juan will run us about $180 for the room plus meals.And the email, text & voicemail all said we would be given an up dated itinerary upon boarding.What we need to know now is whether they still plan on a 5 day cruise.We have to be back in NY by Saturday night.We took out travel insurance & plan on calling our agent in the morning.

We have 6 family members booked on this cruise, and when we received the email last night we were and are still troubled. The emails says nothing other than new embarkation day and time. Called Celebrity and the team on the phone new as much as we did. They did say on Saturday more information will be released. This is pretty bad customer service...........

My wife and I are booked on this cruise also. An extra night in San Juan will run us about $180 for the room plus meals.And the email, text & voicemail all said we would be given an up dated itinerary upon boarding.What we need to know now is whether they still plan on a 5 day cruise.We have to be back in NY by Saturday night.We took out travel insurance & plan on calling our agent in the morning.

we had a somewhat similar experience years ago during Hurricane Wilma. Our 5 day cruise on Royal was shortened. They have the ship booked for the following cruise so you will get reimbursed for the day missed and have a shorter cruise.

Your insurance should cover trip delay but they might need to factor in whatever the cruise line offers in terms of compensation.

The M-class ships still have, as far as I know, gas turbine engines. That's why I think the official name is GTS Celebrity Summit, which stands for Gas Turbine Ship, iirc. These engines create much less pollution and no soot, but they have been troublesome over the years.

Yes the M class ships all have 2 gas turbine engines (look like jet engines). They are very reliable but the quality of fuel they require is much more expensive than marine diesel. The turbines only produce electric power which is converted to propulsion by the Rolls Royce pods under the ship. It's the pods which have been the problem over the years.

Also a few years ago in dry dock they added a diesel generator so they don't have to use the gas turbine as much.

I don't think they would extend the cruise another day for missing Monday. There is another cruise that goes out on 4/1 headed to Bermuda. They probably want to make sure the ship is okay to travel the 2 or 3 days from San Juan to Bermuda.

Yes, it sucks and we just booked another night in San Juan.

I am sure there will be some compensation. Someone booked what appeared to be a letter with compensation information and the new itinerary in the Roll Call. Don't know if it is true or not.

I would rather be delayed boarding then the whole cruise be cancelled.

I just received an email stating that my 5 night cruise departing Mar 27 on the Summit is being delayed a day. We are not going to be able to board until Mar 28 so that repairs can be made on the ship. The email was very vague and didn't tell us what that does to our itinerary.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Will they pay for our accommodations & food for the night we are actually supposed to be on the ship? Future cruise credit? I plan on calling first thing in the morning to hopefully get some answers. I'm frustrated but obviously want the ship to be operating properly.

Cruisemapper.com currently shows the Summit enroute to Nassau from Key West. Are you sure the delay is for repairs? Perhaps the ship will need extra cleaning after the private charter for a nude cruise from 3/20 to 3/25:evilsmile: (Sponsored by topless travel)

Hi, first-time poster here!

A lot of details about the delay are in the Roll Call thread. I nonetheless called Celebrity Customer Service this morning. The rep today confirmed:

- Still going to all ports.

Tuesday, March 28 San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:30 p.m. - check in 1:00 pm 7:00 pm

Wednesday, March 29 St. Maarten 10:30 a.m. 8:30 p.m. (originally 8 am - 8 pm)

Thursday, March 30 St. Kitts 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m. (same time)

Friday, March 31 St. Thomas 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m. (originally on 3/28)

Saturday, April 1 arrive San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 a.m.

- There will be a partial refund based on cruise fare plaid + 50% of full day of cruise fare in the form of refundable onboard credit. (As I understand, "refundable onboard credit" means if you don't use it, you can get it back in cash / credit at the end of the cruise.)

- If you booked travel to / from San Juan on your own, you'll get a $200 refundable onboard credit towards airfare changes, extra night hotel, and/or incidentals.

I don't think they would extend the cruise another day for missing Monday. There is another cruise that goes out on 4/1 headed to Bermuda. They probably want to make sure the ship is okay to travel the 2 or 3 days from San Juan to Bermuda.

Yes, it sucks and we just booked another night in San Juan.

I am sure there will be some compensation. Someone booked what appeared to be a letter with compensation information and the new itinerary in the Roll Call. Don't know if it is true or not.

I would rather be delayed boarding then the whole cruise be cancelled.

I'm on that next cruise (4/1) and it's not going to Bremuda, its doing another southern island route. But i'm sure hoping the get if fixed. Sorry for the cruise cruise before us, you guys a taking one for the rest of us. The summit doesn't head for Bermuda til the end of the month.

I'm on that next cruise (4/1) and it's not going to Bremuda, its doing another southern island route. But i'm sure hoping the get if fixed. Sorry for the cruise cruise before us, you guys a taking one for the rest of us. The summit doesn't head for Bermuda til the end of the month.

4/30 to Bermuda. I'll be on that cruise.

Hi, first-time poster here!

A lot of details about the delay are in the Roll Call thread. I nonetheless called Celebrity Customer Service this morning. The rep today confirmed:

- Still going to all ports.

Tuesday, March 28 San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:30 p.m. - check in 1:00 pm 7:00 pm

Wednesday, March 29 St. Maarten 10:30 a.m. 8:30 p.m. (originally 8 am - 8 pm)

Thursday, March 30 St. Kitts 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m. (same time)

Friday, March 31 St. Thomas 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m. (originally on 3/28)

Saturday, April 1 arrive San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 a.m.

- There will be a partial refund based on cruise fare plaid + 50% of full day of cruise fare in the form of refundable onboard credit. (As I understand, "refundable onboard credit" means if you don't use it, you can get it back in cash / credit at the end of the cruise.)

- If you booked travel to / from San Juan on your own, you'll get a $200 refundable onboard credit towards airfare changes, extra night hotel, and/or incidentals.

Sounds like Celebrity is doing the right thing ... I know I would appreciate it had I been booked on this sailing.

I was scheduled on the Infinity when one of the pods that was having problems precluded us from stopping at one port, although they still did set sail on time. They did compensate us fairly. I know it is disappointing but sounds like they are making good on that for these passengers.