Australia a big bust

Sadly, and no matter what anyone says, the OP seems determined to blame Australia for what was a colossal stuff-up by the cruise-line the OP chose to book on.

Whilst I can understand the OP's disappointment there really wasn't anything Australia could do to improve that situation.

Indeed. It sounds an awful taste of Australia but not a true Australian cruise by any stretch. Although obviously both NZ and Aus are better explored by land. Terry from Ohio seems to have had a blast.

Indeed. It sounds an awful taste of Australia but not a true Australian cruise by any stretch. Although obviously both NZ and Aus are better explored by land. Terry from Ohio seems to have had a blast.

It is obvious from reading Terry from Ohio posts that he does a lot of research before his travels. A lesson for all.

It is obvious from reading Terry from Ohio posts that he does a lot of research before his travels. A lesson for all.

Definitely the case, I have found that research is key to getting the most out of your travels, even if it is discovering what not to do or where to go.

It's quite exhausting all this research isn't it. Almost need a holiday to recover :p

I rather take umbrage at the OP's comments about there being nothing in the Bay of Islands. If one took a ships excursions the OP could have travelled up to Cape Reinga, along the 90 mile beach, body boarding down the sand dunes, visited the Kauri Museum. had fish and chips and the world famous Mangonui fish shop and an ice cream before returning to Waitangi.

One could have taken a boat trip out into the Bay to visit the Hole in the Rock either by fast boat or slow boat. Swum with dolphins ar just watched the orcas and dolphins as the played in the boats bowwaves. Coming back one could have participated in boom netting

Visited the Waitangi Treaty grounds and strolled into Paiha and visited the craft market. Caught the ferry over to Russell had coffee or a beer in the Duke of Marlborough hotel and visited some of New ZEalands's earliest buildings. That's what one comes for isn't to experience the culture.

Caught a bus into Kawakawa to see the famous Halwasser toilets and then onto the Gloworm caves.

Nothing to do. What on earth does the OP want out of a day ?

Give me strength

My recollection is that Norwegian Star spent 2-3 days in Melbourne at Station Pier. No tender. He could have gone to Ballarat Wildlife Park about an hour and quarter north of Melb and walked amongst and fed kangaroos, emus and turtles. He could have eyeballed Koalas from platforms in the trees, stroked Gordon the wombat and seen all sorts of other Australian natives, Tassie Devils, lots of reptiles and quokas etc. Great place to get up close and personal.

It looks like the shipping line didn't advise passengers very well. Too busy fixing the ship.

My recollection is that Norwegian Star spent 2-3 days in Melbourne at Station Pier. No tender. He could have gone to Ballarat Wildlife Park about an hour and quarter north of Melb and walked amongst and fed kangaroos, emus and turtles. He could have eyeballed Koalas from platforms in the trees, stroked Gordon the wombat and seen all sorts of other Australian natives, Tassie Devils, lots of reptiles and quokas etc. Great place to get up close and personal.

It looks like the shipping line didn't advise passengers very well. Too busy fixing the ship.

Perhaps they did, a lot of people never even look at the ship's tours as they feel they are too expensive. My view is that they really make it easy as to exactly what is being offered in an area and then you can decide what to do or see with more research.

If I paid 50k to come down to Van Diemen's land and only got to see Abigail and Maria Venuti I'd call it a big bust as well mate!

Get in to us sons and daughters of convicts and then the cannibals descendants down the two shaky southern states buddy we deserve it, NCL is our countries National carrier after all! :rolleyes:

Seriously though the biggest busts I have ever seen are all over Trumpsville USA...

Loving all the rhubarbing never the less.

Keep it up, start spreadin' the news....

Cheers r

:cool:

2734b98d51b6623f929e1529f5388d84.jpg

I enjoy the planning and anticipation NEARLY as much as the cruise.

Me too!!

Roll on 2019 unless the cruise fairy makes something happen sooner. At least I have time to plan and terrorise people on the roll call and here [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The beauty of cruising is don't have do alot of research. I run a business and work 80-90 hours a week. I have been on 30 plus cruises over the years. I expect the cruise line to my research and offer the excursions to the highlights that must be seen. It was really the tenders that spoiled my mood and added to my frustration

Australia may well be a wonderful place to visit but the ports we went to and the time to take tenders at every port made it less then enjoyable

The beauty of cruising is don't have do alot of research. I run a business and work 80-90 hours a week. I have been on 30 plus cruises over the years. I expect the cruise line to my research and offer the excursions to the highlights that must be seen. It was really the tenders that spoiled my mood and added to my frustration

Australia may well be a wonderful place to visit but the ports we went to and the time to take tenders at every port made it less then enjoyable

OK boys and girls let's play nice. It would appear to me that 4 flushing has had a very frustrating trip down under. There are a lot of things to do and see and to have that blocked by unfortunate circumstances or bad management by the shipping company is a shame. I'd like to think our fellow member would have a better experience on a future trip to Australia and maybe cruise from here to take in the South Pacific. Best of luck with future cruises.

I'd agree the ports you went to other than Sydney were not good for a taste of Australia. But don't blame Australia for that but your cruiseline. Maybe try Celebrity next time.

But I don't agree that the beauty of cruising means you don't have to do research. Unless you plan to stay on the ship. Maybe that's the case on Caribbean cruises but not to foreign (for you) places.

The ship broke, multiple times.

The cruise line made choices of where go, and not go.

You were let down by the ship and the cruise line.

Deal with the reality of what was the problem.

btw, hi QM2 made it to Hong Kong on Saturday. No kangaroos (as my 3 seconds of research led me to expect),

Edited by Docker123