Celebrity Summit Cancels April 8, April 15 only 4 days.

mamaday

Well this is what they are saying Now.

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for contacting our office regarding the refund.

We will process a full refund which you will receive within 3 to 5 weeks to the same payment method you use.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

Rafael Contreras

International Sales & Service Escalations Team

Royal Caribbean International (305) 341-0204

Celebrity Cruises (305) 341-0205

Azamara Club Cruises (305) 341-0206

These people are just playing with our MONEY. They should be a sued for making us go through so many headaches and problems.

Checked my credit card account and we have received the refund for the two cabins we booked on the April 15th cruise. Have not received the air fare change fees although I have sent in documentation. Very disappointed in the way Celebrity has handled this entire situation, with very poor communication and not offering any discount on future cruises for those of us on the shortened cruise (which coming from the west coast was in essence cancelled) like they did for the passengers on the April 8th cruise.

Just got off the phone with Celebrity again!!!! Now being told that they elected to wait until all passengers were notified of the cancelation prior to beginning the processing of refunds. "Hayley" stated that they will begin processing them on April 6th and that it should take 7-10 business days to see the refund. No word whatsoever on the air fare change fee's. So in essence my week of vacation will be well over when Celebrity is kind enough to refund the over $4000 of my money that they are holding for a cruise from hell that never happened. Oh, in case you aren't aware, you can still check in on the webpage for that cruise and book excursions! Celebrity is a complete joke and we are the unfortunate punchline. Please share your experiences with as many social network sites as possible. The arrogance of the people I've dealt with on the phone is incredible. Great business model and customer service Celebrity!!!

I am wondering if there is a webcam at the pier in San Juan? I truly believe there will be passengers showing up on April 8th to board the Summit! After one answering machine message and one spammy email 'notifying' me of the cancelled cruise, I have continued to receive a constant stream of emails from Celebrity about preparing for my upcoming cruise. As previously stated on this thread, my account on Celebrity still tells me that my cruise is Booked and sailing in XX days!

It has been 13 days and no refund in sight. Summit is a relatively small ship, how hard is it to issue full refunds? It is not exactly Oasis of the Seas with 6,000 passengers. Why have they have started refunds for the April 15th cruise instead of the April 8th?

I have a twitter account, but I don't tweet much.........I think it is time to start!:mad:

I am wondering if there is a webcam at the pier in San Juan? I truly believe there will be passengers showing up on April 8th to board the Summit! After one answering machine message and one spammy email 'notifying' me of the cancelled cruise, I have continued to receive a constant stream of emails from Celebrity about preparing for my upcoming cruise. As previously stated on this thread, my account on Celebrity still tells me that my cruise is Booked and sailing in XX days!

It has been 13 days and no refund in sight. Summit is a relatively small ship, how hard is it to issue full refunds? It is not exactly Oasis of the Seas with 6,000 passengers. Why have they have started refunds for the April 15th cruise instead of the April 8th?

I have a twitter account, but I don't tweet much.........I think it is time to start!:mad:

I share you're thoughts

They missed the ball big time on this one.[emoji599]

I guess the good news is that you won't have experience the cruise from hell since they cancelled it on you.

So happy for you that in your millions of miles on the water your still drinking the cruise company kool-aid!

What Celebrity did on this one was wrong and I pray that your future doesn't hold the same kind of disappointment for you or your plans for a family vacation. It amazes me that there are people out there as smug as you and your comment!

I've just received an email from celebrity with the details for the 25% off for a future cruise. They only offer 25% of what we paid and not a real 25 %.

And the more insulting is that we still wait for the cruise refund and the amount for airfare modifications.

Our friends got their 3 days of refund-we are on the 15th. We have not yet received ours, but they told me they are still working on it. Hotel will go on as OBC which is totally refundable, will give them that as soon as we board the ship on the 18th

We got £200 per person for air fare refunded and 25% off our original cost which amounted to £197 each towards a future cruise which is valid for TWO years not one. Useless to us as we are not travelling with Celebrity ever again after this fiasco. We intend to take this further and involve an arbitration service. They have known about these issues for over 5 months. It's also quite a coincidence that it's change over Captain's day tomorrow! Funny that! ....and also quite convenient.

I'm sitting at JFK as I type ready to board a flight to San Juan to stay in a hotel that has cost us considerably more. We are lucky we can do it, but others not so lucky. I heard that someone was getting married on The Summit next Friday and had 15 members of her family on the cruise too. How sad is that.

Celebrity has seriously let us all down big time. Shame on them. They could have put this right with a contingency plan considering their massive fleet, but they had none in place.

What kind of company does that to people. Our future booking for The Edge has been cancelled. Not a chance we will sail with this company ever again.

Good luck to everyone, I hope you have a good holiday or if you cancelled, hope that you can find a replacement another time. Please complain in the strongest terms and include the CEO in the emails.

We got £200 per person for air fare refunded and 25% off our original cost which amounted to £197 each towards a future cruise which is valid for TWO years not one. Useless to us as we are not travelling with Celebrity ever again after this fiasco. We intend to take this further and involve an arbitration service. They have known about these issues for over 5 months. It's also quite a coincidence that it's change over Captain's day tomorrow! Funny that! ....and also quite convenient.

I'm sitting at JFK as I type ready to board a flight to San Juan to stay in a hotel that has cost us considerably more. We are lucky we can do it, but others not so lucky. I heard that someone was getting married on The Summit next Friday and had 15 members of her family on the cruise too. How sad is that.

Celebrity has seriously let us all down big time. Shame on them. They could have put this right with a contingency plan considering their massive fleet, but they had none in place.

What kind of company does that to people. Our future booking for The Edge has been cancelled. Not a chance we will sail with this company ever again.

Good luck to everyone, I hope you have a good holiday or if you cancelled, hope that you can find a replacement another time. Please complain in the strongest terms and include the CEO in the emails.

And we have still to wait for full cruise refund and the 200$ promise for air fare modifying.

"They have known about these issues for over 5 months. It's also quite a coincidence that it's change over Captain's day tomorrow! Funny that! ....and also quite convenient."

I'm so sorry your holiday was effected by this, I really am. It could happen to ANY of us. I read that the 10 days were chosen because of the dry dock availability schedule. The repairs have to be done in dry dock and this was the only opening. That's why it was not repaired immediately after the breakdown in Mexico. They need the dry dock and it was just coincidence that the timing was against you and not someone else. It could have been me. I'm on the first full cruise after the repair. Fingers crossed!!!

I'm not sure what kind of contingency plan they could have had? It's not like they keep a ship empty, waiting for it to be called into service...

I'm not sure what kind of contingency plan they could have had? It's not like they keep a ship empty, waiting for it to be called into service...

Let's hope it doesn't happen to anyone else. As to your question...here's an example of a simple contingency plan they could have been prepared for. When I spoke with Celebrity and asked specifically "Are there any other Celebrity cruises within 2-3 days of this one that has an open cabin anywhere in the world" I was told "I can't do that kind of search" and when I pushed and asked for a manager I was told "we are completely sold out of all cabins on all ships all around the world on those dates." Which isn't true because Celebrity continues to sell cabins on their website for other cruises at the same time.

After that disappointment I asked the agent "Can Celebrity help me find a cabin anywhere in the world for the same week on your sister lines Royal Caribbean or Azamara?" The agent told me "You will have to contact those lines directly to find out their availability, I can't help you"

Celebrity should have prepared their agents to be more helpful. They could have had complete inventory of all rooms/classes in their fleet available to offer to guests impacted by these two incidents. Even if they didn't have the same class cabin available and offered a downgrade or upgrade that would have been something other than, "Sorry, we can't help with any options other than we cancelled your cruise and here's $200 for your trouble." I was a suite class passenger begging for them to tell me that they had a Celebrity cabin on any ship anywhere in the world and I would have flown to take the cruise (on my own dime) and been happier than I am now forced to experiment on another cruise line.

"It's not like they keep a ship empty" Of course not...no...but according to Wikipedia they have:

Royal Caribbean: 25 ships and controls 21.9 percent of the cruise market worldwide

Celebrity: 12 ships

Azamara Club Cruises: 2 ships

I'm 100% certain that they had available cabins for anyone that asked for them like I did.

So, there's one example of better planning and contingency planning that Celebrity could have done better.

I've just received an email from celebrity with the details for the 25% off for a future cruise. They only offer 25% of what we paid and not a real 25 %.

And the more insulting is that we still wait for the cruise refund and the amount for airfare modifications.

As we are driving down to Miami for our NCL Escape replacement cruise....I just received our future cruise certificate with Celebrity which is supposed to be a big apology for trouble caused by the cancellation of the Summit cruise. They really need lessons in how to make a genuine apology! My certificate expires 4/4/2018. Not even good for a whole year folks! 25% of what I paid, NOT off the future cruise. Only good for the passengers named on this cruise. Here's the kicker---EXCLUDES Holiday sailings. I'm a teacher, so wish me luck with that.........:mad:

As we are driving down to Miami for our NCL Escape replacement cruise....I just received our future cruise certificate with Celebrity which is supposed to be a big apology for trouble caused by the cancellation of the Summit cruise. They really need lessons in how to make a genuine apology! My certificate expires 4/4/2018. Not even good for a whole year folks! 25% of what I paid, NOT off the future cruise. Only good for the passengers named on this cruise. Here's the kicker---EXCLUDES Holiday sailings. I'm a teacher, so wish me luck with that.........:mad:

I'm so sorry...so they exclude holiday sailings...recognizing value in holiday sailings...yet they shortened the April 15 Easter sailing with no special recognition that it was a HOLIDAY sailing. Major Celebrity fail. Hopefully you can find a summer or a off-holiday break to get the make-up discount as weak as it is.

I'm so sorry...so they exclude holiday sailings...recognizing value in holiday sailings...yet they shortened the April 15 Easter sailing with no special recognition that it was a HOLIDAY sailing. Major Celebrity fail. Hopefully you can find a summer or a off-holiday break to get the make-up discount as weak as it is.

As someone stated earlier--they pay nothing unless one of us takes them up on their (agreed-weak) offer. And yes, these 2 sailings that were cancelled and modified are HOLIDAY sailings and cost us all so much to replace last minute. I'm thinking about some of the large family groups that were on this sailing--they will never be able to use this "discount" without assembling the same group of cruisers. My husband is assigned one discount and me the other.....it doesn't go to the person who paid the fare (and who probably still doesn't have their money back.)

I would guess you might be able to convince Celebrity to let you use that credit on a spring break cruise next April if you explain the issue and I think Celebrity is running the Equnox out of Miami all summer. Rates are not that high. Not taking up for them because it sounds like they handled this poorly. Especially the 1 year expiration.

With all that said the Escape is a great ship. You will like it. Be sure to visit cowboy the bartender at the outdoor 5 o'clock somewhere bar. Funny guy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am a member of vesseltracker dot com and it says that the Summit is on her way to Freeport in the Bahamas and is due to arrive 4-10-2017 at 2:30 pm. This means it is about a 48 hour run. Obviously I am keeping a eye on when she leaves Freeport. If it is not by the late 15th or early16th we may be out of luck :(

...just remember that she's running slowly because of the propulsion problem and her track from Freeport may be a couple to a few hours shorter. Speed could be increased without a full load and with full power, too! Hoping it all works out for you!

I am a member of vesseltracker dot com and it says that the Summit is on her way to Freeport in the Bahamas and is due to arrive 4-10-2017 at 2:30 pm. This means it is about a 48 hour run. Obviously I am keeping a eye on when she leaves Freeport. If it is not by the late 15th or early16th we may be out of luck :(

:):)

Just my five cents on this debacle. My family (wife, three kids and I) booked two connecting cabins almost a year ago. We booked our own airfare through Orbitz last December. In the whole scheme of things, I agree that this is not the worst thing in the world but, in my view, Celebrity has really dropped the ball on this one and, at this point in time, I am not prepared to just "let it go."

1. We were not notified of the cancellation until March 28th (we used an independent agent and he claims that he notified us as soon as he received notice from Celebrity). I understand that some notifications went out 4-5 days earlier. This delay put us at a huge disadvantage vis-a-vis other passengers and killed any chances we had of securing another cruise for this or similar timeframe. We did our best but could not find a single sailing out of SJ, South Florida or New Orleans that could offer two connecting or close-by cabins one of which could accommodate three people.

2. I like one of the other posts regarding contingency plans. Here is what, in my view, a responsible company would have done: they should have notified all passengers on the same day and assist with securing similar cruises with Celebrity, RC or even non-affiliated companies, like NCL. When was the decision made to cancel this sailing? After the decision was made, did they put a stop on their sales to the RC cruise departing SJ at the same time so that all of the remaining cabins could be secured by the cruisers who were supposed to be on the Summit?

3. Celebrity's so-called compensation offer is a joke. In my case, because the airfare was purchased through Orbitz and my flights to and from San Juan are on different airlines, the cancellation fees would have been $290 per person for 5 people. Celebrity would have reimbursed me $200/person. In addition, with less than 2 weeks to go and this being the spring break week, the airfare has gone up almost 100% and - quite naturally - Celebrity apparently took no notice of this fact. I have no interest in their 25% off offer (which, as posters above have already indicated, is actually much worse than originally expected) - I am not planning to take another cruise before 4/4/2018. Celebrity, essentially, told me "sorry," returned the money we paid for the cruise and walked away.

4. As far as the legal angle is concerned, I am not an expert on such matters but, as a rule, it is not always easy to enforce legal provisions that are fundamentally unfair. Unlike occurrences that involve force majeure (e.g., hurricanes and other forces of nature), we have a situation that appears to be 100% Celebrity's fault. When did Celebrity find out about the problem? When did it decide to cancel the cruise? What criteria did it use for cancelling this particular sailing? Certain behavior - like fraud and gross negligence (which is not a very high standard for a company's of Celebrity's size and experience) - cannot be disclaimed through a non-negotiable "wholesale" contract that Celebrity would attempt to enforce.

Again, these are just my personal views on the matter as I am sitting in a large San Juan hotel, a walking distance from the dock from which we were supposed to sail on the Summit (saw her yesterday and she seemed fine to me (joking, of course).