Celebrity Summit Cancels April 8, April 15 only 4 days.

mamaday

Check your cruise contract... anything they do above and beyond that is good will. It may not feel like they are doing enough, but they're doing what they said they would in your contract with them.

I'd get a new travel agent to help find an alternative vacation plan. What X ends up doing is what you're going to get... a TA can't get you more. At this point, I'd focus on finding somewhere else to go.

I just called Celebrity to ask what the problem is with the Summit. She read me the letter they have received. It said the April 8th is cancelled and part of the 15th. Not guaranteed the ship will be fixed by those dates but have not made any changes past those two cruises. She said the thing that the Summit is in drydock for is " the thing that makes the boat to faster!!!!!" Yikes, I hope the people repairing the ship know how to order the specific " make the boat go faster parts". Hope for everyone booked that this is quickly resolved.

We were booked for 3 B2Bs starting on April 1st, which meant that the cancellations/changes to itineraries created a 10 day gap in the middle of our 3 week vacation. When we called Celebrity back, the lady they had assigned to our case had left for the day (at 2:30 in the afternoon, mind you). Ended up calling our regular rep, and he really went to bat for us. They refunded all 3 of our cruises and moved us over to Infinity for the 15-night Panama Canal that leaves a day later (everything on X and RCCL for the Caribbean was completely sold by the time we got a hold of someone, out of both SJ and Miami). Not our ideal itinerary, but being on vacation for 2 weeks is better than being at home for 3!

I finally was able to speak to a celebrity captains club rep today. She listened to all my concerns and issues with this cancellation. She did tell me that she would email management with my complaints. At least she listened to me but once again, she could do nothing further or even discuss my reservation because I booked with a travel agent not celebrity directly. This is so disappointing. She implied that if a large number of people call, email or post their disappointment with the 25 percent off future cruise compensation celebrity may adjust the amount.

Frustrating!,,,

Have you called corporate? I can understand your frustration, but corporate needs to know...,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were booked for 3 B2Bs starting on April 1st, which meant that the cancellations/changes to itineraries created a 10 day gap in the middle of our 3 week vacation. When we called Celebrity back, the lady they had assigned to our case had left for the day (at 2:30 in the afternoon, mind you). Ended up calling our regular rep, and he really went to bat for us. They refunded all 3 of our cruises and moved us over to Infinity for the 15-night Panama Canal that leaves a day later (everything on X and RCCL for the Caribbean was completely sold by the time we got a hold of someone, out of both SJ and Miami). Not our ideal itinerary, but being on vacation for 2 weeks is better than being at home for 3!

Is the Panama canal cruise on Infinity free?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

I've heard people say before in this type of thing that posting on social media gets the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Absolutely true....when the Century broke down on the very first day of a cruise in Villefranche a number of years ago, the thread about Celebrity's "compensation" was on the first page of CC for almost two months.....and finally Celebrity changed their compensation. One of the main issues was that Celebrity gave us $200 towards getting air tickets changed to get home, but didn't give us any compensation for the airfare to get to the ship for it's one day sailing. Ultimately, they reimbursed travel in both directions, refunded our full fare and gave us a credit towards another cruise.....but it took two months of posts here on CC by many unhappy passengers to make that happen.

Absolutely true....when the Century broke down on the very first day of a cruise in Villefranche a number of years ago, the thread about Celebrity's "compensation" was on the first page of CC for almost two months.....and finally Celebrity changed their compensation. One of the main issues was that Celebrity gave us $200 towards getting air tickets changed to get home, but didn't give us any compensation for the airfare to get to the ship for it's one day sailing. Ultimately, they reimbursed travel in both directions, refunded our full fare and gave us a credit towards another cruise.....but it took two months of posts here on CC by many unhappy passengers to make that happen.

I remember that, especially those posting of people with no cell phones and no credit cards and needed assistance getting home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe it was just last week (maybe the week before that), and it was propulsion problems. The ship's speed is greatly reduced because of the issue and they will replace one pod that is now inoperable (per letter from CCL explaining the cancellations).

Been awhile since this happened, years ago it seems like one of the M class ships was out of service every month. Curious if it's the same problem.

As I was checking in for our family cruise from San Juan Puerto Rico on Saturday April 8, 2017 I noticed an email from Celebrity that I thought had to be spam or some type of fraud. The email notified me that the cruise was being cancelled. I thought this to be peculiar as I was on the web site checking in at the same time and from my reservation and the web page, all appeared to be in order. With only twelve days till our departure, I took no chances and contacted XXXX, one of Celebrities representatives, who after a few questions hit me with the news that our cruise had indeed been cancelled. After the initial shock I queried what Celebrity intended to do since our vacation was less then two weeks away and that the week in question was Easter/Passover week and at this point in time, alternative vacation options are either sold out or prohibitively expensive. XXXX replied that Celebrity was offering full refunds on the total cost of the cruise, 25% off a future Celebrity cruise and $200 per person for flights that are changed. This offer of compensation perplexed me and brought to light a plethora of other issues associated with such a last minute cancellation. As a former Marine and retired Law Enforcement Executive, as well as a past customer of Celebrity, I am astounded and disgusted by Celebrities approach to this cancellation. I will take a breath and attempt to summarize a few of my thoughts on this debacle. Lets address the obvious. A 25% offer on a future cruise costs nothing unless the consumer takes you up on the offer and actually trusts you in the future to provide a cruise. (XXXX further provided that the discount applies to Celebrity only, not Royal Caribbean. Are they not the same company?) The $200 refund for flight changes is exactly what the airlines charges and is once again ridiculous since the only reason I have airfare to San Juan is to get on board the ship for a cruise. In my case with a family of four, I booked though a travel agency that charges an additional $100 per person for changes to the flight so I lose $400 out of my pocket for their failure to provide the service we paid for. Now lets address the refunds. XXXX tells me that our refund for the cruise which totaled $3323.88 will be processed in a minimum of 7 days as they have an entire ship of passengers to refund. He further stated that once we submit documentation for the flight changes it will take at least 7 business days for that to be processed. As I try to make sense of this, I am at an additional deficit for planning as Celebrity holds over $4100.00 of my money for at least a week. By my calculations, that should allow me four days to find, finance and book an alternative vacation for Easter/ Passover week for my family. In my opinion, this is totally unacceptable. I fully understand the fact that things happen that are out of our control. I do not understand and will not accept Celebrities pathetic response to this situation and will seek advice regarding the rights of those of us who have been harmed by their worthless offer of compensation.

As I was checking in for our family cruise from San Juan Puerto Rico on Saturday April 8, 2017 I noticed an email from Celebrity that I thought had to be spam or some type of fraud. The email notified me that the cruise was being cancelled. I thought this to be peculiar as I was on the web site checking in at the same time and from my reservation and the web page, all appeared to be in order. With only twelve days till our departure, I took no chances and contacted XXXX, one of Celebrities representatives, who after a few questions hit me with the news that our cruise had indeed been cancelled. After the initial shock I queried what Celebrity intended to do since our vacation was less then two weeks away and that the week in question was Easter/Passover week and at this point in time, alternative vacation options are either sold out or prohibitively expensive. XXXX replied that Celebrity was offering full refunds on the total cost of the cruise, 25% off a future Celebrity cruise and $200 per person for flights that are changed. This offer of compensation perplexed me and brought to light a plethora of other issues associated with such a last minute cancellation. As a former Marine and retired Law Enforcement Executive, as well as a past customer of Celebrity, I am astounded and disgusted by Celebrities approach to this cancellation. I will take a breath and attempt to summarize a few of my thoughts on this debacle. Lets address the obvious. A 25% offer on a future cruise costs nothing unless the consumer takes you up on the offer and actually trusts you in the future to provide a cruise. (XXXX further provided that the discount applies to Celebrity only, not Royal Caribbean. Are they not the same company?) The $200 refund for flight changes is exactly what the airlines charges and is once again ridiculous since the only reason I have airfare to San Juan is to get on board the ship for a cruise. In my case with a family of four, I booked though a travel agency that charges an additional $100 per person for changes to the flight so I lose $400 out of my pocket for their failure to provide the service we paid for. Now lets address the refunds. XXXX tells me that our refund for the cruise which totaled $3323.88 will be processed in a minimum of 7 days as they have an entire ship of passengers to refund. He further stated that once we submit documentation for the flight changes it will take at least 7 business days for that to be processed. As I try to make sense of this, I am at an additional deficit for planning as Celebrity holds over $4100.00 of my money for at least a week. By my calculations, that should allow me four days to find, finance and book an alternative vacation for Easter/ Passover week for my family. In my opinion, this is totally unacceptable. I fully understand the fact that things happen that are out of our control. I do not understand and will not accept Celebrities pathetic response to this situation and will seek advice regarding the rights of those of us who have been harmed by their worthless offer of compensation.

Reading your're post resume completly our situation also. It cost us big cash to change the final destination from SJ to Miami . At first it was impossible for us but finally the airline let us do it . Even if celebrity are offering 200$ PP we are losing a lot with this and adding to new cruise that we found in Miami . Like U said the time of year and the last minute cancellation work big time against us. The deal with celebrity is now replace with a pricier new cruise 😲. The offer of 25% is boggus for us since we don' t plan to sail for the year to come. And worst if you're right and not usable for RC that adds more frustration.

So adding all of this and the lack of help from our TA to find a backup plan. We worked hard and did so many calls to try saving this vacation.

Surely not the best things to be in relax mode before the cruise.

" In my opinion, this is totally unacceptable. I fully understand the fact that things happen that are out of our control. I do not understand and will not accept Celebrities pathetic response to this situation and will seek advice regarding the rights of those of us who have been harmed by their worthless offer of compensation."

I get that you're upset and I'm not trying to minimize your situation, but read your contract with Celebrity. The one you signed. Cruises are always a gamble... that's why people buy travel insurance. Did you?

For us we have travel insurance with my work and this situation is not covered.

It's so uncommon and never been detailed in the possible scenarios.

Even the lady of the insurance comp. Said covered at first. But after looking more on the case it went to sorry but it fits anywhere for refunding.

We said but the cruise is cancelled but it was not enough.....

Sorry for the disappointment...it has happened to us for charters, etc but seems this was really unavoidable.. We have one more cruise booked on an M class ship (Infinity), but if we actually take it, that will be our last M class cruise. We have noticed they seem to be aging despite cosmetic updates.

I think the airline credit is woefully inadequate...esp for a holiday period when new air will cost a fortune at this late date.. Hope X re-thinks this & that everyone does OK. I,d press harder on the air comp..

We try to fly SW Airlines so we can get full credit (not a refund ) towards future trvl..not always possible.

We were also booked on the 4/8 cruise which was canceled. This is the second time this year we've had a Summit cruise canceled with the first being for a cruise next April. In that case it was much easier to find something else. With this one being canceled so close to the sail date I really think Celebrity should have done more with their compensation. Without much notice it is very difficult to make alternate plans without spending a lot more money. We were already booked for three nights pre-cruise so if we kept our flights, we would have to stay in SJ for 10 days which we didn't want to do especially during a holiday week. Flights and hotels were much more expensive than when we had orginally booked them so it made more sense to cancel everything.

I am also a little concerned about cruisers booked on this trip who may not know yet that it is cancelled! I had one brief message on my answering machine Thursday afternoon, then Friday afternoon I got the spammy looking email about the cancellation. Meanwhile, I am still getting auto generated emails from Celebrity reminding me to checkin for my upcoming cruise. And on the Celebrity website my cruise still shows up and looks active:o Not everyone is on top of email and social media!

ATTENTION ALL CELEBRITY SUMMIT APRIL 8TH CRUISERS - PLEASE SEE BELOW:

I am not satisfied with the compensation that Celebrity is offering. I had over $2000 in extra expense to book a different cruise that is leaving a day later. I now have 3 cabins on RCL and all of them are much more expensive on the new ship. The new airfare home is much more expensive too in addition to the $200 change fee. And I have one night in a hotel for 11 people to take care of. I suggest we all ask for MORE from Celebrity Corporate - HERE IS THE CONTACT INFO FOR CELEBRITY CORPORATE:

Celebrity Cruises PrimaryContact

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

President and CEO

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com

Jason Liberty

Executive Vice President and Chief FinancialOfficer

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

jliberty@celebritycruises.com

Two weeks before we were to leave for San Juan we received a call and email from our TA. The cruise on April 8 is cancelled because Celebrity needs to work on the ship. For the first time we booked a back to back. The April 15 sailing date our TA had no info about. I called the Captain's Club and found out the April 15 cruise is only for four days April 18-22. Great! I'm not flying all the way to San Juan for a four day cruise! We were excited for our 16 day vacation. Two days in San Juan followed by a 14 day cruise. If the ship is having problems then get it fixed. I don't want to have engine problems at sea. Now what to do with only two weeks notice?

In same situation (original departure leaving on the 15th). We booked directly with CCL, and as of 2 days ago, they still hadn't notified us. Not until we called to inquire, did they acknowledge that the cruise had been "shortened"- although not a "first world problem" disappointed non the less. IMO they could do A LOT MORE to try and retain passengers that had booked months in advance. As an educator, I do not have alternative dates to cruise-this is the only week I have to cruise, until summer. Needless to say, very disappointed is an understatement, regarding their compensation for this situation.

I am on the 15th cruise and here is what they are doing:

1. 3 nights of cruise fare will be processed as a direct refund to our cc once we board the ship

2. 1 night of cruise fare will be processed as a REFUNDABLE OBC as soon as we board the ship

3. We have up to $200 pp for airfare/hotel costs for the extra 3 nights in San Juan

Would I rather have my 7 days - of Course! But we went to plan B. I rented a condo in Isla Verde on the beach for the 14th-18th and will enjoy ourselves. We will take the bus (.75) one day into OSJ and go to the forts, shopping, etc. We will rent a car for 1 day and take our friends to the rain forest.

So for us, we will make the best of it. Not what I wanted but we have cruised 95 times and this is the very first time anything like this has happened to us. So plan B is not bad - 4 nights on the beach in Isla Verde and then a 4 night cruise. Could be worse - I could be home working!!!!

This actually seems equitable to me.

- Joel

After scrambling we cancelled our April 15 cruise on the Summit after this delayed sailing incident and booked an MSC cruise on Divina out of Miami...will be interesting to experiment with the Yacht Club experience. Celebrity was a total failure on this. Every time I called I got different information. One time I was told that Suite class guests got a $900 onboard credit for the cruise, another time I was told a onboard credit equal to a day of cruise fare (but they didn't know what that meant), another time was told I could not cancel for a refund, another time I was told I could put my onboard credit (onboard booking) to a future cruise, another time I was told I couldn't do that. Finally after MUCH hassle and inconvenience got a full refund and had the onboard booking credit ($300) applied to a future cruise. But got ZERO additional compensation or allowance. Incurring $1K of airfare change cost to fly to Miami to try MSC Cruises. Have been 100% loyal to Celebrity and have 7 future cruises booked with Celebrity but maybe this forced experience to try another cruise line will make me cancel some of those future 7...

Thank you for this information. I found out about the cancelled cruise last Thursday but the couple we are travelling with still have not received any email to say that the cruise is cancelled. It's so disappointing as we booked over a year ago. We have had to book a hotel in San Juan for the duration which has cost us literally an arm and a leg. Our flights are non-refundable & cost us £3000. The compensation is completely laughable and absolute insult. We also cannot cruise next year so the 25% off which needs to be used within the year is useless to us .

We are definitely going to complain in the strongest terms. I have heard that Celebrity knew about these issues five months ago.

They should be offering us a new cruise free of charge for all the inconvenience they have caused us .

MEcruzr,

Thanks for the words of sympathy. You look to be a good customer of Celebrity. With all the cruises that you have taken I trust that read the trip insurance policies that you paid for. They don't cover you in this situation!

ATTENTION ALL CELEBRITY SUMMIT APRIL 8TH CRUISERS - PLEASE SEE BELOW:

I am not satisfied with the compensation that Celebrity is offering. I had over $2000 in extra expense to book a different cruise that is leaving a day later. I now have 3 cabins on RCL and all of them are much more expensive on the new ship. The new airfare home is much more expensive too in addition to the $200 change fee. And I have one night in a hotel for 11 people to take care of. I suggest we all ask for MORE from Celebrity Corporate - HERE IS THE CONTACT INFO FOR CELEBRITY CORPORATE:

Celebrity Cruises PrimaryContact

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

President and CEO

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com

Jason Liberty

Executive Vice President and Chief FinancialOfficer

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

jliberty@celebritycruises.com

I've just wrote an email to resume our situation and explain all the extra money we paid to save our 20th anniversary vacation trip.

So let email them to make sure they know how we feel [emoji35]