Celebrity Summit Cancels April 8, April 15 only 4 days.

mamaday

After scrambling we cancelled our April 15 cruise on the Summit after this delayed sailing incident and booked an MSC cruise on Divina out of Miami...will be interesting to experiment with the Yacht Club experience. Celebrity was a total failure on this. Every time I called I got different information. One time I was told that Suite class guests got a $900 onboard credit for the cruise, another time I was told a onboard credit equal to a day of cruise fare (but they didn't know what that meant), another time was told I could not cancel for a refund, another time I was told I could put my onboard credit (onboard booking) to a future cruise, another time I was told I couldn't do that. Finally after MUCH hassle and inconvenience got a full refund and had the onboard booking credit ($300) applied to a future cruise. But got ZERO additional compensation or allowance. Incurring $1K of airfare change cost to fly to Miami to try MSC Cruises. Have been 100% loyal to Celebrity and have 7 future cruises booked with Celebrity but maybe this forced experience to try another cruise line will make me cancel some of those future 7...

Sorry this has happened to you. Here's a tip for your MSC cruise: MSC will match your Celebrity status. I'm Elite+ on Celebrity and that puts me in MSC's top tier. So contact them and join their program. Everyone I know who has sailed in the Yacht Club absolutely loved it. Good luck!

Agree that this is a big shock to have to deal with at the last minute. The dropping of days of the one cruise is worse than an outright cancellation, to me. At least they're pro-rating the cruise cost in that case, but I know it puts a damper on the overall vacation.

However, for the full cancellation, I do not agree that Celebrity should be on the hook for thousands of additional dollars for anyone who chooses to book a new trip with other vendors. While I understand that you were looking forward to going somewhere at a specific time, I know of no company that would do that except possibly for extra hotel costs caused by a last-minute delay. 1) You're not having to pay Celebrity for their trip. 2) You're getting the cost of airline change fees paid by Celebrity. So, while you might not be able to book a last-minute flight with that for next week, you in theory could switch to a cost-comparable flight for a future trip. There is value in not having to eat the full cost of the ticket you already bought. 3) The 25% off for a future cruise within the year is their way of saying "book a different cruise with us and you'll save money." The alternative would be for you to pay full price for that future cruise, so 25% off represents a real cost savings if you want to book another cruise with them any time between now and next March. All-in-all, it seems like fair compensation to me. This was not something they were planning to have to do, but they must repair the ship at some point, which is a massive undertaking.

Please keep us informed of any additional information you receive. our TA. (Or should I say former TA) has not been very helpful and just wants me to email celebrity directly. (I've booked over 20 cruises with them including several large groups). Not happy! Celebrity has failed us miserably!

As I was checking in for our family cruise from San Juan Puerto Rico on Saturday April 8, 2017 I noticed an email from Celebrity that I thought had to be spam or some type of fraud. The email notified me that the cruise was being cancelled. I thought this to be peculiar as I was on the web site checking in at the same time and from my reservation and the web page, all appeared to be in order. With only twelve days till our departure, I took no chances and contacted XXXX, one of Celebrities representatives, who after a few questions hit me with the news that our cruise had indeed been cancelled. After the initial shock I queried what Celebrity intended to do since our vacation was less then two weeks away and that the week in question was Easter/Passover week and at this point in time, alternative vacation options are either sold out or prohibitively expensive. XXXX replied that Celebrity was offering full refunds on the total cost of the cruise, 25% off a future Celebrity cruise and $200 per person for flights that are changed. This offer of compensation perplexed me and brought to light a plethora of other issues associated with such a last minute cancellation. As a former Marine and retired Law Enforcement Executive, as well as a past customer of Celebrity, I am astounded and disgusted by Celebrities approach to this cancellation. I will take a breath and attempt to summarize a few of my thoughts on this debacle. Lets address the obvious. A 25% offer on a future cruise costs nothing unless the consumer takes you up on the offer and actually trusts you in the future to provide a cruise. (XXXX further provided that the discount applies to Celebrity only, not Royal Caribbean. Are they not the same company?) The $200 refund for flight changes is exactly what the airlines charges and is once again ridiculous since the only reason I have airfare to San Juan is to get on board the ship for a cruise. In my case with a family of four, I booked though a travel agency that charges an additional $100 per person for changes to the flight so I lose $400 out of my pocket for their failure to provide the service we paid for. Now lets address the refunds. XXXX tells me that our refund for the cruise which totaled $3323.88 will be processed in a minimum of 7 days as they have an entire ship of passengers to refund. He further stated that once we submit documentation for the flight changes it will take at least 7 business days for that to be processed. As I try to make sense of this, I am at an additional deficit for planning as Celebrity holds over $4100.00 of my money for at least a week. By my calculations, that should allow me four days to find, finance and book an alternative vacation for Easter/ Passover week for my family. In my opinion, this is totally unacceptable. I fully understand the fact that things happen that are out of our control. I do not understand and will not accept Celebrities pathetic response to this situation and will seek advice regarding the rights of those of us who have been harmed by their worthless offer of compensation.

Agree that this is a big shock to have to deal with at the last minute. The dropping of days of the one cruise is worse than an outright cancellation, to me. At least they're pro-rating the cruise cost in that case, but I know it puts a damper on the overall vacation.

I could not disagree more. I feel that Celebrity is actually doing right by these cruisers. They still have a 4 night cruise to go on. They already have airfare in place. The refunded nights of their cruise can go directly towards hotel/resort nights in Puerto Rico. AND they are getting one night's cruise fare as a REFUNDABLE onboard credit. Wow. Spend it all onboard and drown your sorrows over the missed ports or take it home with you! Vacation dampened, but you are still in your cabin on your ship.

Trying to reschedule a cruise with 2 weeks notice during high season in the cruising world is a financial nightmare. I do not expect them to pay me for the difference in price of my new non-Celebrity cruise. But I would like them to offer me something to show that they actually want me back as a customer.

Trying to reschedule a cruise with 2 weeks notice during high season in the cruising world is a financial nightmare. I do not expect them to pay me for the difference in price of my new non-Celebrity cruise. But I would like them to offer me something to show that they actually want me back as a customer.

I'm with you on that point and that's what I wrote to them this morning.

This is the message I sent to the two corporate addresses you posted

Celebrity Cruise has an opportunity to do right by their customers and compensate us fairly for the cancelled and shortened cruises on the Summit. It should not cost us one dime to accommodate their mechanical problems!!! I have to believe that the loss of thousands of angry 😡 passengers will ultimately cost them much more than if they do the right thing and protect us from financial losses due to cancelled flights. Their $200. offer

to cover airline change fees is completely inadequate! My husband and I are losing $1000. I really feel for families who have multiple tickets!

It's not too late to fix this CELEBRITY...Do the right thing.

Please do not respond to this post by saying you you thought long and hard before making this decision. It's INSULTING to your passengers 😡

ATTENTION ALL CELEBRITY SUMMIT APRIL 8TH CRUISERS - PLEASE SEE BELOW:

I am not satisfied with the compensation that Celebrity is offering. I had over $2000 in extra expense to book a different cruise that is leaving a day later. I now have 3 cabins on RCL and all of them are much more expensive on the new ship. The new airfare home is much more expensive too in addition to the $200 change fee. And I have one night in a hotel for 11 people to take care of. I suggest we all ask for MORE from Celebrity Corporate - HERE IS THE CONTACT INFO FOR CELEBRITY CORPORATE:

Celebrity Cruises PrimaryContact

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo

President and CEO

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com

Jason Liberty

Executive Vice President and Chief FinancialOfficer

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

jliberty@celebritycruises.com

MEcruzr,

Thanks for the words of sympathy. You look to be a good customer of Celebrity. With all the cruises that you have taken I trust that read the trip insurance policies that you paid for. They don't cover you in this situation!

Yes, I have. That's why I know it won't cover anything. I see people all over cruise critic saying X should do more. They're doing what they said they would do... and what everyone agreed to: not much. FYI, we usually buy insurance direct and not from X. Not that it would have made any difference in this case.

I feel really bad for everyone effected by the motor problem. Especially those who can't reschedule for a different week/cruise... and end up having no vacation or paying way more than they budgeted. This situation is bad for all involved from the cruise company, the crew who is losing wages/tips, the passengers, the excursion companies, the vendors... the list goes on and on. No one wins.

Bottom line for us is that in the future we will buy trip insurance that covers loss of airfare too😏

We actually have 2 future cruises already booked with Celebrity that we will be canceling

Really angry 😡

Yes, I have. That's why I know it won't cover anything. I see people all over cruise critic saying X should do more. They're doing what they said they would do... and what everyone agreed to: not much. FYI, we usually buy insurance direct and not from X. Not that it would have made any difference in this case.

I feel really bad for everyone effected by the motor problem. Especially those who can't reschedule for a different week/cruise... and end up having no vacation or paying way more than they budgeted. This situation is bad for all involved from the cruise company, the crew who is losing wages/tips, the passengers, the excursion companies, the vendors... the list goes on and on. No one wins.

Wow, this is unfortunate. I do feel bad for you all. But, you know, sometimes I just sit back and think of how fortunate I am to even be able to think of cruising. I hope you all work out your vacations and are able to relax and enjoy. I really do. If it ever happens to me, I will probably just stay in Puerto Rico and kick back. It's not the same, but it's vacation.

Stuff happens.

Bottom line for us is that in the future we will buy trip insurance that covers loss of airfare too😏

Absolutely! As soon a our flights are booked they are added to the policy. And buy the "for any reason" insurance.

Are those 25% off a future cruise only good for 1 year. If so that is what I would be upset about. Not everybody takes a cruise every year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

True... but if you don't go on the cruise you got the 25% from, then you haven't gone this year. ;)

(11 a.m. EDT) -- Celebrity Cruises will pull Summit from operation for a two-week emergency dry dock after ongoing problems with the ship's propulsion system continue to plague the ship. Celebrity previously shortened the March 27 sailing of Summit by one day to work on the same issue.

"Celebrity Cruises is canceling one sailing on Summit to work on an electrical issue on one of the ship's propulsion systems," said Owen Torres of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines' Global Corporate Communications division. RCCL is the parent company of Celebrity Cruises. Torres also confirmed the sailing following the canceled cruise will be shortened.

The affected sailings are the April 1 cruise, which has been completely canceled, and the April 15 sailing, which has been shortened to a four-night cruise departing San Juan, Puerto Rico on April 18. The ship is expected to return to its regular sailing schedule on April 22.

Passengers on the canceled sailing will receive a full refund, as well as a 25 percent credit of the cruise fare paid for a future cruise and $200 per person to cover any flight change fees.

Cruisers on the shortened sailing will receive a direct refund for three nights, as well as on onboard credit worth the value of one night of the cruise fare paid, plus up to $200 per person for airfare change fees and/or hotel costs in San Juan.

--By Dori Saltzman, Senior Editor

You're getting the cost of airline change fees paid by Celebrity. So, while you might not be able to book a last-minute flight with that for next week, you in theory could switch to a cost-comparable flight for a future trip. There is value in not having to eat the full cost of the ticket you already bought.

a) Some people have totally non-refundable, non-changeable plane tickets. $200 can be far less than the amount lost.

b) Even if the ticket could be applied to a different flight (with the change fee), it still must be used within a year of purchase, not a year from when you were going to travel. You might have as little as 30 days to reuse the ticket.

c) Even if the ticket can be applied to a different flight, it is of no use if the airline does not fly to where you need to go for your alternate vacation. If, for example, you have a Jet Blue ticket to/from San Juan, it has no value if your alternate vacation is in California where Jet Blue does not fly to.

a) Some people have totally non-refundable, non-changeable plane tickets. $200 can be far less than the amount lost.

b) Even if the ticket could be applied to a different flight (with the change fee), it still must be used within a year of purchase, not a year from when you were going to travel. You might have as little as 30 days to reuse the ticket.

c) Even if the ticket can be applied to a different flight, it is of no use if the airline does not fly to where you need to go for your alternate vacation. If, for example, you have a Jet Blue ticket to/from San Juan, it has no value if your alternate vacation is in California where Jet Blue does not fly to.

You resume our airline tickets modification. We lose a lot of $$$ with this mechanical trouble

(11 a.m. EDT) -- Celebrity Cruises will pull Summit from operation for a two-week emergency dry dock after ongoing problems with the ship's propulsion system continue to plague the ship. Celebrity previously shortened the March 27 sailing of Summit by one day to work on the same issue.

"Celebrity Cruises is canceling one sailing on Summit to work on an electrical issue on one of the ship's propulsion systems," said Owen Torres of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines' Global Corporate Communications division. RCCL is the parent company of Celebrity Cruises. Torres also confirmed the sailing following the canceled cruise will be shortened.

The affected sailings are the April 1 cruise, which has been completely canceled, and the April 15 sailing, which has been shortened to a four-night cruise departing San Juan, Puerto Rico on April 18. The ship is expected to return to its regular sailing schedule on April 22.

Passengers on the canceled sailing will receive a full refund, as well as a 25 percent credit of the cruise fare paid for a future cruise and $200 per person to cover any flight change fees.

Cruisers on the shortened sailing will receive a direct refund for three nights, as well as on onboard credit worth the value of one night of the cruise fare paid, plus up to $200 per person for airfare change fees and/or hotel costs in San Juan.

And not to forget the april 8th cruise [emoji6]

Is the Panama canal cruise on Infinity free?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

No. They put 100% of our cruise fares for the 3 B2B , plus the 25% FCC towards the balance on Infinity. Because they were out of Sky suites, we had to get a Celebrity suite instead, so it was basically a wash on cost. Flight change cost is being applied to the sailing as an OBC (we booked using miles, so flight changes were relatively easy).

We are going to be celebrating our 10 year anniversary, so finding a different option was important to us. Technically, according to our cruise contract, they didn't have to refund the first B2B, so I do feel that they worked with us to try to find the best situation.

After scrambling we cancelled our April 15 cruise on the Summit after this delayed sailing incident and booked an MSC cruise on Divina out of Miami...will be interesting to experiment with the Yacht Club experience. Celebrity was a total failure on this. Every time I called I got different information. One time I was told that Suite class guests got a $900 onboard credit for the cruise, another time I was told a onboard credit equal to a day of cruise fare (but they didn't know what that meant), another time was told I could not cancel for a refund, another time I was told I could put my onboard credit (onboard booking) to a future cruise, another time I was told I couldn't do that. Finally after MUCH hassle and inconvenience got a full refund and had the onboard booking credit ($300) applied to a future cruise. But got ZERO additional compensation or allowance. Incurring $1K of airfare change cost to fly to Miami to try MSC Cruises. Have been 100% loyal to Celebrity and have 7 future cruises booked with Celebrity but maybe this forced experience to try another cruise line will make me cancel some of those future 7...

We love the yacht club on Divina, but find the regular spaces very crowded on that ship.

You're mixing up airline vouchers and ticket changes in your assumptions. If someone has a special case to make to Celebrity or the airline, they can make it and see what happens. What is being offered is enough compensation related to flights for the vast majority of people. And Celebrity just isn't going to pay the difference in what you paid last year versus what a last-minute ticket costs to a different destination now.

You're mixing up airline vouchers and ticket changes in your assumptions. If someone has a special case to make to Celebrity or the airline, they can make it and see what happens. What is being offered is enough compensation related to flights for the vast majority of people. And Celebrity just isn't going to pay the difference in what you paid last year versus what a last-minute ticket costs to a different destination now.

For my case just changing the arrival destination for SJ to Miami cost us near 800$ of cancellation fees and rebooking. The original price paid was 1200 so we had to pull out more $$$ to make everythings right. So the 200 offer from celebrity is short for us and we did not talk about the new cruise price ....

For my case just changing the arrival destination for SJ to Miami cost us near 800$ of cancellation fees and rebooking. The original price paid was 1200 so we had to pull out more $$$ to make everythings right. So the 200 offer from celebrity is short for us and we did not talk about the new cruise price ....

But these are choices you are making to have a vacation at the same time. You could have chosen to change your airline ticket to next Spring and taken the same cruise just a year later.

I think the author confused the dates. Maybe the Mods could double check?

But these are choices you are making to have a vacation at the same time. You could have chosen to change your airline ticket to next Spring and taken the same cruise just a year later.

This scenario was not an option for us for personnal reasons . That's why this vacation was booked long time ago.