Celebrity Select Dining - all it's cracked up to be?

contessaMD

I signed up for Select dining on our next cruise because we got stuck in the miserable abyss known as the late seating the last time. This girl needs dinner by 7:00 or bad, bad things happen. I dealt with it before by having "pre-dinner" in the OVC at around 5:00 to tide me over the many hours before we were seated, but I don't desire to have another four-meal-a-day cruise next time!

I did take notice, though, of the veritable log-jam of diners waiting in line for Select dining arrangements when we were on the Reflection. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about my choice. Waiting on a line and not-knowing doesn't sound like a step in the right direction.

Is it possible to reserve a set/regular dining time after the first night?

If not, does the Maitre d' hand out buzzers to let diners know when a table is available? I'm not keen on taking up residence outside the MDR doors waiting to hear my name called.

Would one greatly increase their chances of dining at a particularly popular time if we were open to eating with other passengers? (I feel like this may have been what sunk us last time - I innocently requested a 2-top, but perhaps this limited our choices a lot more than I assumed it would?)

Do you have any other Select dining tips/tricks/warnings you can share with me?

• Like 1

I'd say if you want a table for 2 and want to get into the mdr by 7 you shouldn't have a problem, the busy times are between 7.30-8pm... and then, if there's no space available they will give you a buzzer,

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just returned from Celebrity Infinity Valparaiso to Miami cruise. We had select dining. We were able to make dinner reservations for 6 or 6:15 each night (other than 3 nights when we were in specialty restaurants) and never had to wait to be seated. Dinners in the main dining room were wonderful--delicious food and fantastic service.

You can reserve your time with the Maitre d' when you are there on the first night. Also, you should be able to book you dining time on the website for the first night. I have never waited, regardless of whether I had reserved a time or not at the MDR.

Yes. You can reserve ahead, before the cruise, after making full payment, and make reservations for every night. You can call every morning on board and make reservations for that evening. Generally, if you go early between 6:30 and 7:00, there will not be a wait.

If you want to change a reservation, just call the dining number. We always liked early on sea days, and a bit later on port days,if we are going ashore.

I signed up for Select dining on our next cruise because we got stuck in the miserable abyss known as the late seating the last time. This girl needs dinner by 7:00 or bad, bad things happen. I dealt with it before by having "pre-dinner" in the OVC at around 5:00 to tide me over the many hours before we were seated, but I don't desire to have another four-meal-a-day cruise next time!

I did take notice, though, of the veritable log-jam of diners waiting in line for Select dining arrangements when we were on the Reflection. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about my choice. Waiting on a line and not-knowing doesn't sound like a step in the right direction.

If not, does the Maitre d' hand out buzzers to let diners know when a table is available? I'm not keen on taking up residence outside the MDR doors waiting to hear my name called.

Would one greatly increase their chances of dining at a particularly popular time if we were open to eating with other passengers? (I feel like this may have been what sunk us last time - I innocently requested a 2-top, but perhaps this limited our choices a lot more than I assumed it would?)

We did select dining 3 years ago on Silhouette , but we found if you went to the Diningroom after 7-15, the question was short. We never waited more than 5 minutes.

You can reserve your time with the Maitre d' when you are there on the first night. Also, you should be able to book you dining time on the website for the first night. I have never waited, regardless of whether I had reserved a time or not at the MDR.

Hi. Looking at my reservation online for our April transatlantic. I don't see an option for reserving a time in Select. Can you point me there?

Thanks

I was recently on Reflection as well and was astounded by the lengthy wait for "anytime" dining. In fact, we were never admitted to the MDR before 8:30 pm. This is the first time this has ever happened to us. I realized only after we arrived back home that it may be the result of the EXTRA (nearly) 300 passengers aboard Reflection over other Solstice class ships!!! In my experience, select dining has always been really easy to access anytime on other ships. Occasional 5-10 minute waits are expected but Reflection was insane!

As for the specialty dining -- some are definitely worth it! QSine is a fun "tapas" experience where you get small amounts of what everyone at the table chooses. Murano is excellent! The Tuscan Grille used to be my favourite but recently it proved that the menu changes bumped it down a notch (for me -- your experience may differ). If you love seafood, and if the Porch is available on your next cruise, it's worth a visit. I didn't get to try sushi on five but will next time. I hear it's well worth it!

Edited by Hestia
accuracy

Just reseved dining for our upcoming cruise. Go to your reservation. Select dining options (it shows specialty but it is for all dining). At the bottom you will find a tab to reserve main sining room. Make sure you select all guests and your can specify different times for each night. Have a nice cruise.

Had a terrible time with Select Dining on the Silhouette Feb. 28 cruise. The confirmation of Select Dining in our room suggested that if we wanted to eat without waiting we should come between 8:45 and 9 pm!!! We wanted to share tables with others and were told it was not possible the first few days. On the first formal night we were sent out of the dining room without a buzzer (they were out of them) and told they would find us. After 45 minutes I went back to find out what was happening. We gave up the next night after being told they didn't know when we could be seated - and went to the Oceanview. I finally wrote a several page complaint to the dining room manager. He called and suggested we come at 5:45pm.

We had a great experience with Select Dining on both the Infinity last fall, and the Summit several times before that.

I was recently on Reflection as well and was astounded by the lengthy wait for "anytime" dining. In fact, we were never admitted to the MDR before 8:30 pm. This is the first time this has ever happened to us. I realized only after we arrived back home that it may be the result of the EXTRA (nearly) 300 passengers aboard Reflection over other Solstice class ships!!!

Ah, that makes a LOT of sense. 10% more passengers will do that!

As for specialty, I have considered it for 1 or 2 nights - we have a bit of OBC we could use. Unfortunately for my beloved I am NOT the omnivore that he is...I have pretty simple tastes as far as food goes, making some of the more extravagant specialty restaurants pointless for me. I think I would like to give the Lawn Club Grille a try, though. I think between that and our San Juan stop we will probably only be in the MDR 4 or 5 times for dinner.

We have done Select Dining for our past 3 cruises. I made our dining reservations online before we sailed, months before and we never waited more than a few minutes. Typically we ate around 7pm, never a problem. Silhouette once, Millennium twice. The web site can be a pain at times and when that happens, call the Captains Club and they will handle it for you but make your reservations ahead of time and you will be fine.

• Like 1

Always had Select on our 6 x 14 night Eclipse trips. Used to just turn up whenever and always got our requested table for 2 whatever time we wanted however its become increasingly more difficult over time. Our last trip in September saw quite big lines and even some who had pre-reserved times were being sent away with buzzers. Some friends were told twice there were no tables for 2 for them and they would have to share. The Martini Bar music was accompanied by the sound of buzzers going off. A lot seems to depend on the Maitre'D on the podium, some seem much more efficient than others at managing the spaces.

Personally, I think allowing pre-reservation of dining times just removes the flexibility for everyone else and they should scrap it. However whilst its still an option its one we feel reluctantly forced to take.

I've had mixed results. We always do select. First cruise was fantastic. Reserved ahead of time and were seated immediately. If we changed no prob. Second cruise booked times ahead and it was a nightmare. We waited in line every night. Finally saw that people without reservations were in a separate line and they were able to take a buzzer and go sit down and enjoy a glass of wine while waiting. Tried standing in that line and was told we couldn't get a buzzer as we had reservations. Then lost our place in the reservations line! As a result we refused to make reservations on our last cruise. But once more that experience was smooth even if you had or didn't have reservations. Next cruise we are in Blu so it's different. I think you just have to figure out the dynamic and flow once on board.

Our only experience with Select dining was on the Eclipse in January. We never waited more than a few minutes. We always said we were willing to share a table (it's always interesting to meet new people). We tended to go to the MDR about 7PM.

Due to late booking we were only able to get late fixed dining. We will try for early seating when on board. If not do they let you use select dining if you seapass shows that you have fixed dining. The 8.30 pm seating is too late for us. Looking forward to your help in this. Only 8 days to go.

I've had mixed results. We always do select. First cruise was fantastic. Reserved ahead of time and were seated immediately. If we changed no prob. Second cruise booked times ahead and it was a nightmare. We waited in line every night. Finally saw that people without reservations were in a separate line and they were able to take a buzzer and go sit down and enjoy a glass of wine while waiting. Tried standing in that line and was told we couldn't get a buzzer as we had reservations. Then lost our place in the reservations line! As a result we refused to make reservations on our last cruise. But once more that experience was smooth even if you had or didn't have reservations. Next cruise we are in Blu so it's different. I think you just have to figure out the dynamic and flow once on board.

There is a line for reservations that was longer than the line without reservations and they got a pager? I guess I will try making reservations and if I have this problem cancel and try the no reservation line.

What times are the dinning room less crowded? I see you can go as early as 5:15 pm. I don't think it would be very crowded 5:15 to 6:15 but, maybe there are a lot of people that like to dine that early.

Due to late booking we were only able to get late fixed dining. We will try for early seating when on board. If not do they let you use select dining if you seapass shows that you have fixed dining. The 8.30 pm seating is too late for us. Looking forward to your help in this. Only 8 days to go.

There are reports of people on fixed dining who miss their dining time being allowed to use Select however given your allocated dining is fixed then it's a slim chance as Select is usually the busiest option.

On a personal note, I would hope given we always book Select that Select dining flexibility isn't hindered by those who are allocated fixed dining wanting to use my dining room when I booked well ahead to secure Select dining. I've read reports of people who were allocated Blu and Luminae being allowed into Select (without reservations and ahead of Select diners queuing ) so they can 'try' another venue. Fine, as long as I can take their seats in Blu or Luminae.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Log on and reserve a time. If you like the area and waiters from your first night, tell the host on the way out and ask to sit in the same area. It's taken us 14 cruises to work that out.

Yes they don't seem to try and seat you in the same area if possible. It's a nice idea as you get to know your servers and vice versa. The first night of one cruise they put us on the furthest table at the back of the restaurant in a quiet area. We didn't like it so when in he next night they started walking us all the way back there again we had to say no. After that they seated us in a nice central location every night.

Yes they don't seem to try and seat you in the same area if possible. It's a nice idea as you get to know your servers and vice versa. The first night of one cruise they put us on the furthest table at the back of the restaurant in a quiet area. We didn't like it so when in he next night they started walking us all the way back there again we had to say no. After that they seated us in a nice central location every night.

I meant 'DO' try and seat you in the same are?.........damn spell check.

Semi related question. I see on the April 23 Silhouette trans Atlantic that traditional dining is listed as 6:30 and 8:45...seems pretty late for late seating. Anyone know if this is likely accurate?