Really interesting question

Diane123boys

I just got off the getaway and interestingly enough I was doing some jogging on the 7th deck. As I reached the front of the ship, there was a high school age student practicing his French horn. In his defense he picked the deck thats virtually a ghost town on that ship. That deck offers nothing since the lifeboats obstruct vision.

I have seen other passengers bring on various instruments, and they were all played in an open area, somewhat off the beaten path, and played quietly. One time I was just lounging on the Promenade deck, and I thought I was hearing music from someplace, thinking it was maybe from rehearsal in the theater; turns out someone was playing the guitar probably 6 chairs away from me. As I mentioned, they were playing it quietly and respectfully.

I have seen on the Breakaway in the jazz club, the band invited a high schooler to play drums with them on one of their songs; this kid did a great job, at the conclusion, the kid shook all the musicians hands and said with great enthusiasm, "this has been the best day in my life"

to me it depends on where he plans on playing it. if he plans on playing it in the cabin I can believe you will get complaints and wont be able to. If you want to play it on the ship somewhere quiet , I would get permission first but it will probably be ok

I agree that it depends on where he would want to play it. If he's able to find an out-of-the-way place I would think it would be less of an issue than playing it in the cabin. He may make a bunch of friends and not have time to play!

You might consider making your thread title a little more descriptive and specific in future--if you'd indicated in the title what the subject is you would be more likely to get responses from people who have personal experience. :)

My son is thinking of bringing his guitar on our upcoming cruise. I am trying to dissuade him, not because of his playing (he's very good) but because there are already 4 of us in an aft mini-suite and I can't imagine where the guitar can go when he's not playing it.

My son is thinking of bringing his guitar on our upcoming cruise. I am trying to dissuade him, not because of his playing (he's very good) but because there are already 4 of us in an aft mini-suite and I can't imagine where the guitar can go when he's not playing it.

Maybe under the bed? :D Of course you'll probably have your luggage there, but maybe there will be room to slide it under there.

Bring an electric guitar with no amp.

They are quiet enough not to disturb others but your son will still be able to hear what he is doing. Restring it with Super Slinky's they are nice and soft so it will make it even quieter not to mention your son's fingers will appreciate them until he builds some callus's.

No problem bringing a guitar. Nor a problem playing in your cabin (during the day). It's not like it would be any louder than playing music through an iPhone or watching TV. Don't listen to some of the other people here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My teenage son brings his guitar on EVERY cruise we go on!!! He'd sleep with it if he had to:D!!!

A couple of years ago, I did a TA with a friend on RCCL's Allure of the Seas. Our neighbour next door was learning to play the violin. We were fine with that until the night he decided to do a recital for his friends at 11 p.m. Then we complained.

Like others, I suspect it depends on where and when your son plans to play.

I plan to bring my Sousaphone on our November cruise to celebrate John Philip Sousa's 163rd birthday by playing the Stars and Stripes Forever as the ship passes the Statue of Liberty. Anyone who objects is not patriotic.

I saw someone with an acoustic guitar playing one on the pool

deck and nobody cared. I think if it is an electric guitar even if it

is allowed (not sure about that) you might get some noise

complaints wherever he plays.

My 16 yo son is just learning guitar. Can he bring it on the ship?

Just as long as he doesn't play it on the balcony if you have a balcony cabin, or he may have to face the :evilsmile: of the no music on the balcony crowd, ;):'):'):rolleyes::D

Thank you everyone that something constructive to say.

It always amazes me the "people" that reply on these boards that are not helpful. It reminds me of when people say -" they talk just to hear themselves talk. " My family is not new to cruising and would NOT do something to interrupt the enjoyment of others trust me.