2 adults, 2 adult kids in one mini-suite?

firecracker1

Trying to save money and get away during the Holidays. We have 2 college-aged daughters. We're a close family. Could we handle 7 nights in the same balcony mini-suite? This would be our 3rd cruise and 1st for our daughters.

Thanks for any input/advice/experience.

Trying to save money and get away during the Holidays. We have 2 college-aged daughters. We're a close family. Could we handle 7 nights in the same balcony mini-suite? This would be our 3rd cruise and 1st for our daughters.

Hi, can you specify which ship?

If it's the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway or Escape, you will be fine as each person will have their own bed. The couch is turned into bed and there is a drop down Pullman from ceiling. The mini-suite bathrooms on the Away ships (and Escape) are very large.

Other ships: the couch in mini suites is turned into a double - there are no separate beds for your daughters.

I would never do four adults in a room. Privacy is the main things for your adult girls. As said different sleep schedules.

You said you are a close family so only you would know if the four of you sleeping / staying in a relatively confined space would work. The larger bathrooms in the minis will help for sure. If you have different schedules there is no way to screen the bed from the sofa / bunk area (except some ingenious magnet hook / towel configuration someone posted on CC about rigging up a week or so back) so that if someone is asleep when someone else comes in you'd have to be prepared for that eventuality. Four of you will NOT be able to be on a standard mini-suite balcony at the same time other than standing shoulder-to-shoulder.

That said, from a space and configuration perspective, it's is very doable (unless all four of you are the types who want to spend long periods relaxing in the stateroom) and in a PAX 3/4 free scenario a great way to economize and have more $$$ to spend on the vacation, leave in the bank or use for your next cruise.

FYI - it's not just the newer classes of ships that have a bunk that drop down from the ceiling - some Jewel-class balconies and minis do as well based on personal experience.

Edited by cdnsteelman
Poor grammar

Sure! Absolutely. I mean, you know more about your family than I do, so I'm randomly guessing that it will be awesome.

Best for you to go on the Getaway over the Epic (please trust me!!) due to the bathroom situation.

Take this advice seriously. I LOVE Epic, but would not consider 4 adults in a mini-suite. The sink would be my greatest caution. On Getaway, the bathroom has a double sink which is inside a bathroom. On Epic, you get half a sink which is, for any practical purposes, inside the room. YouTube it.

Nexus 9 on Tapatalk Pro

Sure! Absolutely. I mean, you know more about your family than I do, so I'm randomly guessing that it will be awesome.

I agree. A second cabin could possible double the cost and as said earlier the 3rd and 4th free sail free I think it would be a no brainer. And it being a first cruise for your daughters, I do not think they will mind. As for schedules, bathrooms, closets etc.......Who cares. Your on vacation. One suggestion though find the nearest public restroom for emergencies. Mornings can be tough sometimes.

We took our daughters with us on three cruises, the first two they shared. Once they were both over 16 it would have been impossible because of the lack of personal space.

Now these were port-intensive cruises. We had to be up for excursions. If we could have staggered the getting up and going to bed it would have been even easier.

So if it is the only way you can get away and the girls take part in making the decision as to whether or not to take the trip - I would say to go for it.

If you plan a bathroom rota so that two of you are eating breakfast and two are using the bathroom you could make it work.

If you get stressed over them not being in the room by midnight, get angry if they decide that they would rather stay in the room till 2 pm and skip the tour or if false eyelashes on the floor make you scream because you think there is a spider in the room .... maybe you would be better with two insides.

If you are on the Getaway, Breakaway or Escape, check out the O1 family ocean view rooms as well. They have the same cabin dimensions as a minisuite (minus the balcony), but have an extra closet and a curtain that shuts off the main bedroom area from the sofa sleeper/ bunk area. This would provide some extra privacy and a place (other than the bathroom) to change clothes. Depending on the sailing and the offered perks, you may find this option to be a viable one.

For you maybe. We had a blast. And the cost savings was huge with 3rd and 4th sail free. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask what ages your children were? Not trying to be nosy but 2 college ages girls and 2 parents in a mini suite (just say balcony already) sounds too cozy for me.

I would look at a balcony room for you and wife and inside guarantee room for girls. If you don't have 3-4 sail free this would be better than trying to fit into a mini-suite. Depending on cruise maybe only slightly higher, run the prices and see what the actual difference is. Also check with on line TA. They may save you enough for separate rooms

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, which way are you leaning:confused:.