Activities on ship in Alaska

Travelbug1978

We are taking an alaskan cruise in july heading north bound from Vancouver. I looked at an older princess patter and there honestly doesn't look like really any thing for kids or families to do. We will have kids from 8-13. Even for myself there doesn't look like much. I didn't book this cruise my mother in law is taking us. I am very thankful but worried that we are all going to be bored.

We are taking an alaskan cruise in july heading north bound from Vancouver. I looked at an older princess patter and there honestly doesn't look like really any thing for kids or families to do. We will have kids from 8-13. Even for myself there doesn't look like much. I didn't book this cruise my mother in law is taking us. I am very thankful but worried that we are all going to be bored.

It's Alaska!!!!

I can't tell you what the kids club programs will be like. I would search this board specifically about that. However I don't think you will be bored. Alaska is amazing. You will have several long port days. Princess has good programs fr the on board naturalist several times during the week, the park rangers have kid focused programs on Glacier Bay day. (If you go there) Libby Riddles and her sled dogs do a program one day....depending on the weather you'll be able to use the pools. I saw a lot of kids in our cruise and they all looked happy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Scenery, glacier viewing, whale watching, wild life watching, talks about Alaska, etc... There really is not much ship time. I wouldn't worry.

I get bored in the Caribbean, never in Alaska.

Like NavyVeteran says; the kids have their own patters. If you get bored onboard a ship regardless of which cruise line; then you aren't taking advantage of what is available. I always say; on a cruise you can do as much as you want or as little as you want; either way have fun and take lots of pictures. Kids will be fine. I have two teens with me on my July Alaska sailing; not worried at all about them being bored.

Did you look on the Princess website (http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/onboard-experience/ )? In addition to the already mentioned National Park Rangers' program on Glacier Bay day and Libby Riddles and her sled dogs program, this is the second year Princess has featured "puppies in the plaza". I also recommend the "north to Alaska" show by storyteller Steve Hites. All Princess ships will have a naturalist on board who will give lectures and narrate from the bridge.

If you are lucky enough to have Shelley Gill on board as your naturalist you will not be board!! She is so interesting and spends he off season visiting schools. She writes children's books, I bought several for my grandchildren.

A recommendation I just thought of that will help relieve any boredom....bring binoculars! A pair for each of you is best but if that is impractical make sure you bring more than one pair because sharing can result in missing the best views. There is lots of wildlife (in the sea and on land) to see from the ship and the two Alaska cruises we were on had the naturalist (and sometimes an officer from the bridge) pointing it out.

We are the week before on the coral

We will be on the Coral from June 24 to July 8th. We've done this cruise about a dozen times. I cannot remember a single minute that could be described as boring. We still haven't done all there is to do.

We went with our 3 grandkids in 2015. They loved it and were very sad to leave the ship. They each had very good, small binoculars we got from Amazon. They spent a lot of time watching and enjoying the beauty that is Alaska, exploring the ship and eating ice creamj when their parents allowed. One did occasionally use the kid's club.

• 1 month later...
I was looking at the princess patter for this cruise..some of the activities we would love to do we will be in port.

That can be an issue when locals are brought on board for entertainment, demonstrations, etc. because they have to disembark before the ship leaves. For the Alaska cruise, that would be the case for Steve Hite, puppies in the plaza, Libby Riddles and possibly others. We've missed Libby Riddles on both our Alaska cruises, but I've promised myself that we'll see her next year (I just hope she is still doing her program then)!

I am fresh off the Island Princess this morning. Still in Alaska doing the land tour. There is so much to see and much to do onboard. Our 11 and 9 year old grandchildren spent time in the Kids Club and absolutely loved it!!!

I am fresh off the Island Princess this morning. Still in Alaska doing the land tour. There is so much to see and much to do onboard. Our 11 and 9 year old grandchildren spent time in the Kids Club and absolutely loved it!!!

Our 11 and 12 year old kids just came off the same ship this morning and had a fantastic time. They loved it better than disney ships believe it or not. I think a lot has to do with the youth counselors and the connections they make with the other kids.

Nfox211... I think my daughter made friends with your grand daughter. Tell her lauren says hi!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

You are in Alaska. Who needs ship activities. BTW - we took our 10 year old granddaughter on an AK cruise. She took one look at the kids clubs activities, pronounced them stupid and boring, and spent her time on deck seeing Alaska. That is one smart kid.

DON

we just got back from Princess Star Northbound Vancouver to Whittier, had an 11 year old boy who had a blast, did not do much with kids club on this cruise, he has on others. The pools are heated, and he found friends and had lots of fun when not doing fun excursions with our family group. He loved seeing the whales and otters and everything else you see on boat excursions.