Talk me out of (or into) keeping a grand suite on Allure

Yesterday on a whim I booked the Allure 7 night eastern Caribbean for March 2018. Not because of the "sale' because we all know it's not really a sale. I've cancelled a few booked cruises over the past few months because my husband and I are expecting baby number 2 in a few month. Between being past the allowed number of weeks permitted to cruise and being afraid of Zika we cancelled. So long story short by 2018 it'll have been almost 4 years since we cruise and that's too long for me.

That brings me to yesterday when I decided to get something booked to look forward to. I went with Allure because I want to try the mega ships and I figured there was alot for the kids to do. One will be 2.5 years old and the other about 7.5 months. The ports are places we've seen many times so it was more about the ship.

Going is me, my husband, our 2 little ones, and my parents. Initially I had us all in a royal family suite but then I figured that's too many people in one area with 2 babies. So I went with a grand suite for us and a connecting balcony for my parents. I thought about a junior suite but they only had low decks and I prefer to be higher.

I'm rethinking the grand suite only because my parents won't get the perks like priority boarding, lounges, and Coastal Kitchen so that might be weird to be separated. I picked the grand suite more for the space than the perks though. I figured with a double stoller, pack and play, and car seats from the flight it would be nice to have the extra square footage. Plus it has a bathtub which the balcony doesn't have.

Do I keep the grand suite for the size or make a balcony work? Yes the price is high but I'm justifing it in my mind because we havent cruised in a few years. Any suggestions are welcomed. Oh, and this is our first time on Royal.

With regard to dinner at Coastal Kitchen, they normally allow you to have guests join you for one or two evenings. Speak to the CK host/hostess about their guest policy..

I have not been on the Allure. However, we recently sailed on Harmony. On the cabin crawl we toured a GS. I was surprised by how small it was.

I think pack and play, double stroller and 2 car seats [from the plane] will make that GS cabin very crowded. JMHO

We have sailed in a GS on the Serenade and toured GS on Vision class. Those cabins are BIG.

PS--as a mother of twins [now grown] I recommend you buy 2 inexpensive umbrella strollers for your trip. [donate them or leave them behind when you are finished] The bulkier double stroller will be difficult to maneuver on the ship. The umbrella strollers will fold up and go under the bed. . . . and you can "divide and conquer" the kids among the 4 adults. LOL

I would book you, your husband, one of your parents and one child in the GS. Book the balcony with your other parent and a child.

Then get extra room keys.

I doubt CK will deny your GS parent from eating with their spouse.

I have never heard of a solo in a GS or higher being denied at CK for a table for two.

The balcony parent just wouldn't get the free drinks, but should be able to use the other perks.

Of course, this all depends on the concierge.

The experience with all the perks of the GS on the Oasis class ships vs a regular cabin, is unbelievable.

The concierge may say no to some of the perks for your other parent, but I think it is worth the risk.

CK alone is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have not been on the Allure. However, we recently sailed on Harmony. On the cabin crawl we toured a GS. I was surprised by how small it was.

I think pack and play, double stroller and 2 car seats [from the plane] will make that GS cabin very crowded. JMHO

We have sailed in a GS on the Serenade and toured GS on Vision class. Those cabins are BIG.

PS--as a mother of twins [now grown] I recommend you buy 2 inexpensive umbrella strollers for your trip. [donate them or leave them behind when you are finished] The bulkier double stroller will be difficult to maneuver on the ship. The umbrella strollers will fold up and go under the bed. . . . and you can "divide and conquer" the kids among the 4 adults. LOL

I'm disappointed to hear the cabin felt small that's definitely something to think about. And thank you for the suggestion of the 2 umbrella strollers instead of a double. I didn't even think about getting the double around the ship I can see how it would be difficult.

I would book you, your husband, one of your parents and one child in the GS. Book the balcony with your other parent and a child.

Then get extra room keys.

I doubt CK will deny your GS parent from eating with their spouse.

I have never heard of a solo in a GS or higher being denied at CK for a table for two.

The balcony parent just wouldn't get the free drinks, but should be able to use the other perks.

Of course, this all depends on the concierge.

The experience with all the perks of the GS on the Oasis class ships vs a regular cabin, is unbelievable.

The concierge may say no to some of the perks for your other parent, but I think it is worth the risk.

CK alone is worth it.

I did think about splitting us up and putting one of my kids with my parents. Do you think I can make that change even though it's already booked? It might be cheaper that way too, huh?

We have priority boarding with RC and my father in law doesn't and he always goes along with us on cruises, and RC always allows him to priority board with us.

I would not waste money in the GS, no way, its not very much larger although if having the bathtub is a must then maybe for that?

I personally suggest taking the balcony and saving the money for all the on board expenses you will have, not sure whether you be flying or driving but if you save the money and take the balcony perhaps you can get extra comfort seats which do give you more leg room and space.

On Allure, we had room 11730/11330 on Deck 11, which is an ATS and has 2 rooms and it would be plenty big enough for your stroller, pack and play, car seats, etc. I don't know the configuration of the other GS on Allure. Since you haven't cruised in quite a while, what would be ideal, but a bit more pricey and your parents can stay with you, would be the ATS on either Deck 8, 9 or 10, they have 2 bedrooms. The suite perks are sweet :)

I did think about splitting us up and putting one of my kids with my parents. Do you think I can make that change even though it's already booked? It might be cheaper that way too, huh?

Yes you can make the change. You are changing names.

Don't give up the GS. Cruising in a GS on the Oasis class is way better than the other class's of ships. You will NOT have the same experience if you are not in a suite.

Look at all the perks you will lose if you just get balconies.

I store my dive gear on balconies. You can store your car seats and strollers out there also.

The parent that will get the most of the free drinks should be booked in the GS with you and your husband.

To save on money, book 3 adults in the GS and one of your parents with the two kids in the balcony room.

Many people book a GS and their kids in an inside across the hall. They accompany their parents everywhere the suite benefits allow.

Your kids are too young to book like that. You could ask about switching names in the rooms

If they were older, you would book all 4 adults in the GS and then your parents and kids would just switch

Rooms.

Your kids are young so the space in the GS isn't a big deal.

Another thing to consider, if you placing people in different cabins their sail and sign card is for the cabin they are assigned to which means you use the sail and sign card for opening your cabins, how can you get into the room if you book people in one cabin and they stay/sleep in another?

Check out a 2 Bedroom Aqua Theater Suite. The cabin and balcony are each right around 800 sq feet and it comes with Star Class perks..beverage packages, stocked mini bar, all restaurants are complimentary, no waiting in lines, reserved show seats, a Royal Genie, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Book the adults in the GS and put the two kids in the connecting. The kids won't be denied any suite benefits and all the adults will have suite benefits. Once on board everybody can sleep where they want.

Personally, I would book an OS. I have seen them for not much more than a GS and there is much more room.

Don't let anybody tell you they can't put the kids in the connecting cabin because of age. You might have to get a TA to do the booking or elevate your request to a supervisor. But I have my granddaughters (5 & 3) currently booked in their own balcony connecting to their parents.

Edited by jamesr3939

Thank you for all of these great suggestions. I am going to get back on the phone today and see what other configurations we can work out. I do like the suite for the tub alone- to me that is worth it- makes it easier to bathe babies. I know we wont utilize all the suite perks, I can't see us at cocktail hour etc but it's nice to know that if we do switch up the rooms the concierge might allow us all to eat at Coastal Kitchen at least a few times. I'll report back what I can find. Thanks again.

I called and there weren't any 2 bedroom Aqua Theater suites left, but there was a Royal Family Suite on the 9th deck. I asked about the option of putting the 4 adults in the Grand Suite and the kids in the connecting Superior Balcony and the representative said that was for sure an option. She didn't say anything about their ages and neither did I. She had my reservation up so she could clearly see they'e babies. She did also state that while there is no guarantee the kids would be able to get seating in Coastal Kitchen- that's all based on availability once we got on board- I really can't seeing the maitre d denying us. In regard to pricing the Royal Family Suite it was $467 more and we would go from having OBC of $200 for the balcony and $300 for the GS to just having $300 total. Although I do like the idea of all being together I honestly can't imaging sticking my parents in the second bedroom in the RFS. And that's where they would go since I'm paying more I wouldn't give up the master bedroom ( I know, I know that sounds horrible). It just seems small and closed off. So as it stands now we are going to keep the arrangement we have but move the kids to the balcony. At least this way all the adults would have the suite perks.

You can keep monitoring prices. The Aqua Theatre Suite may become available or the RFS go down in price. However, you are still better off with the OBC the way you have it. You can always switch to a TA to make up some of the OBC. Since TA's usually give OBC based on cruise fare, you may end up getting a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called and there weren't any 2 bedroom Aqua Theater suites left, but there was a Royal Family Suite on the 9th deck. I asked about the option of putting the 4 adults in the Grand Suite and the kids in the connecting Superior Balcony and the representative said that was for sure an option. She didn't say anything about their ages and neither did I. She had my reservation up so she could clearly see they'e babies. She did also state that while there is no guarantee the kids would be able to get seating in Coastal Kitchen- that's all based on availability once we got on board- I really can't seeing the maitre d denying us. In regard to pricing the Royal Family Suite it was $467 more and we would go from having OBC of $200 for the balcony and $300 for the GS to just having $300 total. Although I do like the idea of all being together I honestly can't imaging sticking my parents in the second bedroom in the RFS. And that's where they would go since I'm paying more I wouldn't give up the master bedroom ( I know, I know that sounds horrible). It just seems small and closed off. So as it stands now we are going to keep the arrangement we have but move the kids to the balcony. At least this way all the adults would have the suite perks.

I really think this is the best solution - all adults get suite privileges (even if you don't want to be there, your parents may enjoy spending time in the suite lounge) and they will never deny your babies access to any suite benefits.