Lost luggage?

toribrite

What I've done in similar circumstances is to ask at the gate. After some checking, they've always been able to confirm, though not guarantee , that they have received my bags from the connecting flight.

Thanks! I'll try this. (Might help relax my mind a bit if I know it's there.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Luggage would be the least of my concerns. Making sure I get to the ship with flying in the day of would be my biggest concern. Losing my luggage would cost me a lot less than having to get myself to the next port to catch up to the cruise.

True to this! IMHO, you have left zero time for any flight hiccups, let alone worrying about luggage.

Where is the port you have to arrive at on time? If everything goes perfectly with your last flight to the UK and you land at 7am, the plane has to taxi to a gate, you have to wait your turn to get off the plane, then you've got passport control, and you are finally out on the airport curb - and you probably have 4 hours left. And, what is the latest possible boarding time for the ship? You have to go through boarding procedures at the port. That's not leaving much time at all to actually get from the airport to the port. That is far too close to comfort for me.

I've had luggage lost forever, arrive late, and left out on tarmac in heavy rain, so I became a carryon only passenger.

For the one time it arrived several days in to a trip - we received our luggage because I had a printed itinerary in the ID tag holder (land based trip staying 2-3 days in area then moving on - luggage caught up to us at third B&B) .

Lots of people have had the luggage sent back to their home since that is the only address on the luggage. I don't see it mentioned too often on these threads regarding lost luggage, but it really should be noted that a luggage tag with home address means the luggage can't get sent to where you are going. The little paper tags you can pick up at an airline registration desk work great for your hotel location if you have a single destination. Otherwise print out itinerary with dates and addresses.

I've had luggage lost forever, arrive late, and left out on tarmac in heavy rain, so I became a carryon only passenger.

New decision! I'll be packing carry on only. No checked bags lol. Thanks!

Yep, flight gets in at 7am and boarding is not until 1. So if it's late, maybe we can wait. I just don't want to pay extra for laundry for the few outfits I can fit on carry on and stress about it while on vacation.

Sorry, I would be more afraid of not making the ship than my luggage! Any delays you are potentially screwed. Even in the States we fly in the day before

Lots of people have had the luggage sent back to their home since that is the only address on the luggage. I don't see it mentioned too often on these threads regarding lost luggage, but it really should be noted that a luggage tag with home address means the luggage can't get sent to where you are going. The little paper tags you can pick up at an airline registration desk work great for your hotel location if you have a single destination. Otherwise print out itinerary with dates and addresses.

I truly do not understand this scenario. When bags fail to appear on the carousel do people just shrug their shoulders and leave the airport? The proper procedure is to go immediately to the baggage office of the airline and file a missing luggage claim. The claim includes not only a description of the bags, but also where the owner desires them to be sent. I've had bags that missed a connection to Rio and were delivered to next port of call in Brazil - but only because I filed a claim - not because of some scrap of paper. (When is not to say that ID and itinerary information should not be inside the bags, they should be.) But it is the airline agent that makes ongoing delivery happen. Make their job easy by filing a claim.

The claim has a case number assigned so you can track the progress of missing bags online. Sometimes the agent can trace the bag and tell you immediately something like "the bags were left behind in Atlanta and were placed on the next flight out. We'll deliver the bags wherever you tell us."

True to this! IMHO, you have left zero time for any flight hiccups, let alone worrying about luggage.

Where is the port you have to arrive at on time? If everything goes perfectly with your last flight to the UK and you land at 7am, the plane has to taxi to a gate, you have to wait your turn to get off the plane, then you've got passport control, and you are finally out on the airport curb - and you probably have 4 hours left. And, what is the latest possible boarding time for the ship? You have to go through boarding procedures at the port. That's not leaving much time at all to actually get from the airport to the port. That is far too close to comfort for me.[/quote

Agree! Asked OP in my post #12 similar questions - which airport, port, etc., but he did not clarify.

I truly do not understand this scenario. When bags fail to appear on the carousel do people just shrug their shoulders and leave the airport? The proper procedure is to go immediately to the baggage office of the airline and file a missing luggage claim. The claim includes not only a description of the bags, but also where the owner desires them to be sent. I've had bags that missed a connection to Rio and were delivered to next port of call in Brazil - but only because I filed a claim - not because of some scrap of paper. (When is not to say that ID and itinerary information should not be inside the bags, they should be.) But it is the airline agent that makes ongoing delivery happen. Make their job easy by filing a claim.

The claim has a case number assigned so you can track the progress of missing bags online. Sometimes the agent can trace the bag and tell you immediately something like "the bags were left behind in Atlanta and were placed on the next flight out. We'll deliver the bags wherever you tell us."

Of course you have to report to baggage office and complete the forms, and if you are lucky enough that your luggage makes it to that airport you will have your luggage forwarded to the address you provide. But if your luggage is totally misdirected it may not be possible for that agent to make the delivery to you happen. Having your itinerary on the luggage MAY help it get sent to correct destination before the end of the trip. When it shows up at a totally wrong airport there is no way to connect it to you or your claim number, such as the case of people who have reported their luggage showed up at their home.

When my lost luggage showed up a week into a 3 week road trip I found that at check in the attendant put a tag that belonged to another passenger with totally different destination. When it sat for a day at wrong airport they checked the ID tags, saw where I was, and sent it to the correct airport and on to me. Once it got to the correct airport the claim number could have been useful. And filling out the report is required if you are going to be making a lost luggage claim.

Really, I sometimes have felt that there was a little black cloud over my luggage. LOL

I usually travel no more than 3 or 4 times a year, and have had a total of 4 luggage episodes before I gave up and learned to travel light.

Lhr, southhampton. My TA told us the latest flight arrival to make it to the boat would be 1130am. We planned our flights based on that and planned a few hours prior just in case.

Thanks for clarifying. If you arrive at Heathrow, Southampton is a couple of hours away. Not sure how you are getting to Southampton - bus, train, private car - but London traffic can be terrible. Not to disagree with your TA, but I think you are cutting it awfully close. Don't understand how your TA could tell you an 11:30 flight arrival woul be okay for a cruise boarding at 1:00 in Southampton.

Not sure what time you are sailing, but you normally have to be on board at least one hour prior to sailing.

If everything goes exactly as planned, okay, but I wouldn't want to do it. Hope it works out well for you.

We arranged travel through the TA and she said it was rccl that was doing it. We leave at 530 pm I think and boarding is from 11-3? Idk. Just following what people tell me since this is my first big cruise. I went on a Viking river cruise, but those are a whole other thing entirely.

We arranged travel through the TA and she said it was rccl that was doing it. We leave at 530 pm I think and boarding is from 11-3? Idk. Just following what people tell me since this is my first big cruise. I went on a Viking river cruise, but those are a whole other thing entirely.

That's good! If you are on a RC shuttle they usually guarantee to get you to the ship. If not, I believe if they leave without you they are obligated to get you to the next port.

Southampton is about 80 miles west of Heathrow and is a little over 2 hours, without any hold ups in traffic.

Even though your TA indicates everything is okay, I would check to see what the backup plan is in case of flight delays, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

So I'm flying from US to U.K. For my cruise, and we have two layovers only an hour each. I'm terrified they will lose my luggage. Anyone had that happen or not happen in similar situations?

Trying to figure out how to pack most of what I need in my carry on but also what to pack in my checked bag.

99+% of the time your luggage will get there with you. If the airline says an hour is enough then there is no need to be concerned. The luggage usually gets to the next plane faster than you do. We always have connections and an hour is usually more than enough.

Yep, flight gets in at 7am and boarding is not until 1. So if it's late, maybe we can wait. I just don't want to pay extra for laundry for the few outfits I can fit on carry on and stress about it while on vacation.

If your bags are not on your flight going across the pond you are not getting them until the next day, it's not like a domestic flight where the next plane comes in an hour later.

The longest my luggage has been delayed is 3 days. I was literally walking to a department store to buy clothes for my 14 day cruise when the hotel called to tell me my bag had arrived. I had a 3 hour connection in Frankfort that turned into 1/2 hour because my flight from the US was delayed. I barely made the flight, my luggage did not.

Cruising out of FLL, we all gave our luggage to the porters at the pier and watched as they were piled onto the large baskets that the luggage goes into. Friends of ours on this cruise arrived in their stateroom to discover all bags had arrived except the garment bag with their formal wear inside. A search of the ship over the 7 days of the cruise did not turn up the bag. They were loaned formal wear and ship board credit to get a dress for formal night.

Two days after we ll arrived home, they received a call that the garment bag had been found at the port and would be shipped to the home. The bag never made it on the ship, just sat in the port lost and lonely.

Even for our longest trip of 54 days which included 3 cruises which included 3 cruises and 11 days land, I packed the same as if we were on a 14 day trip. For your travels to the UK, I was able to pack 80 % of my clothes in my Carry on so if the larger suitcase didn't make it I had clothes. our particular trip included 2 days in NYC then 15 day Quebec /NE cruise and 40 degrees up to 80. It is amazing what one can pack in a carry on. Think in terms of packing all necessary clothing etc for 7 days and not so much on how long you will be gone.

I estimate 3 formal nights if you attend then figure a skirt/ dress or evening slacks , alternating your nights. I can get by with 4/5 slacks, & mix & match tops. 3/4 shorts ( warmer weather) jeans or other pants ( colder weather ).plus other necessities.