Tipping on shore excursions

coinkc

If we are taking Carnival sponsored shore excursions, is it still customary to tip the drivers/guides? If so, is there a way to find out how many guides there will be? Also, what is the recommended tip per person? We will have 3 adults in our group.

Just trying to pre-plan the best we can for expenses and certainly don't want to stiff anybody because we weren't prepared!

This may end up being a heated thread because you are asking for opinion really as there are no guidelines for such things.

So my opinion is that you tip based upon service - tourism is a service industry and we always tip something. A giant snorkel trip might only warrant $5 because they don't really do anything for us; an intimate sail with 12 people might warrant $50 where the captain and crew are catering to you and teaching your 12 year old to sail the boat which was above and beyond the excursion itself.

So my answer is tip what you think is a fair value for the service received.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are going to get so many different answers, as there is no right or wrong. It is strictly up to each person/family.

We have tipped as little as $5 and as much as $20, or nothing if they are constantly begging for tips. They get more from us if they don't hound us. There is no reason to mention it over and over how they live off their tips, how badly they need them, etc.

my son was a Captain in St.Thomas and took cruise and hotel people snorkeling. They are not paid very well for the hours they put in, usually 12 + with 2 trips a day. They do pool the tips and have a tip bucket. Yes tipping is subjective, but if you had a good time a tip would be much appreciated.

If we are taking Carnival sponsored shore excursions, is it still customary to tip the drivers/guides? If so, is there a way to find out how many guides there will be? Also, what is the recommended tip per person? We will have 3 adults in our group.

Just trying to pre-plan the best we can for expenses and certainly don't want to stiff anybody because we weren't prepared!

Yes, the tipping culture is alive and thriving. Even the tender boat captains were begging for tips.

I usually tip tour bus drivers $5 to $10. Usually a total of $10 for my husband and myself. Same for other excursions if they involve a lot of people. If I am on an excursion with just a few people such as parasailing, I tip more because of the personalized service.

Is it an all day excursion or a half day? Is it a couple or a family on the excursion? Did the staff on the excursion do anything special for you? Do they give you good info or drivel?

I'm a New Yorker and we are accustomed to tipping, so a driver will get a tip as well as a guide. The amount will be dependent on the above factors.

The exceptions are in countries where tipping is considered either an insult or unnecessary. We were recently in Australia and New Zealand and tipped guides less there than in this hemisphere due to their lack of a tipping culture

Ditto...we always give the bus driver $5 for taking care of us. At many stops they are watching your belongings on the bus, and other times they are driving crazy roads and get you there and back safely. You should give them a tip.

For shore excursion guides, etc, we always base it on length of the tour (4 hour vs 7 hour), and how much they go out of their way to make everyone happy. We consider the price of the tour, too. So we can tip $10 for each of us, up to $25 for each of us for an outstanding job all day long. We have never stiffed a tour guide as we know most of these people depend on the tips to pay their bills, and they have to put up with sometimes rude or stupid tourists. They work hard for the money.

robin

How do you normally tip on land? hotel staff? taxi drivers? delivery people? room service? I am sure you have an idea of how real life works for tipping and you would apply that logic with cruising.