Chartered Cruise Question

There are other explanations for a cruise disappearing from inventory, but it could indeed mean that they are in negotiations for a charter. :( In that case calling them will do no good: they're not going to tell you how the negotiations are going, or who's trying to charter the ship, or anything like that. They probably won't even admit that they are in negotiations to charter the ship and they will tell you that you have nothing to worry about. And then you'll receive the notification — or others on your roll call will receive it first — that the cruise is cancelled. (And in this letter, there will likely be no mention of any charter, either.)

As far as NCL is concerned, 6+ months is plenty of notice and they typically offer very little for this, a choice of 2 or 3 sailings to switch to and maybe $50 OBC.

We had a cruise scheduled for the Jade last yr that was chartered after we put down our deposit. NCL sent us an email letting us know what was going on, and gave us the option of a different cruise, or our money back.

We really liked the itinerary of our original cruise, but the fact that the new itinerary included some of the original ports, and was in the middle of winter (Jan) didn't tickle our fancy. So we got our money back.

Yes! I booked Jade out of Houston. Then NCL pulled out of Houston. So they sent me a letter and we switched to the Jade out of Tampa. Then I began hearing about the Jade being chartered by Sixth man for a concert. It was frustrating because I knew it was going to happen for about a month before NCL got around to telling us. They offered us either a refund or a price protection if we switched to Dawn or Epic.

I really was not happy with either choice but we went with the Epic. With each cancellation we received onboard credit of $100 since we originally booked in a suite. The NCL rep said she'd never heard of anybody cancelled more than twice on the same reservation.

We had a fantastic time!!! Loved Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you find out before final payment and what options did you get.?. I think my cruise is going to be chartered since it has been pulled from inventory. Epic 1/06/2018

Hi retiredgram, you may want to check out this thread which has been collecting info regarding chartered or special cruises for a while:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2333900&highlight=chartered+cruises

Hope this helps,

Did you call and ask?

There is no point in asking. All the agent will tell you is that there are no rooms available.

You're talking about agents working the phone lines. Not the sales department negotiating multi-million dollar charters.

Did you call and ask?

As I said (after you posted), calling did absolutely no good. Not the general booking number, not Corporate. Sixth man was advertising MY SHIP, MY DATES as a music charter that is ALWAYS a full charter. I knew it.

Until NCL is ready to cancel you, you have only two options: a. Wait or b. Cancel on your own.

It was frustrating. But we waited. OBC and price protection made it worth it. But man, being in limbo for a "type A" personality is no picnic.

Hang in there.

There is no point in asking. All the agent will tell you is that there are no rooms available.

You're talking about agents working the phone lines. Not the sales department negotiating multi-million dollar charters.

I still believe that if I call my wonderful PCC and asked why my ship was taken off inventory he'd find out for me. Not while we're on the phone but he'd call me back with an answer. It would be to his benefit to know as well. But thanks for the unwarranted snark.

Yes, we were at one of the hotel they used this year for the 1/7/17 Epic charter. They did a b2b within the 7 day schedule, a 4 day and a 3 day. If they charter the ship they can do anything they want according to their contract. Also it was reported on 4/14/16 that the Holy Ship had chartered the Epic for 1/7/2017-1/14/2017 so that would be around the same time frame we are talking about now. As someone else said NCL won't admit to anything until they want to. Hope they let us know the truth soon. I really hate all the secrecy. All cruise line do it but it makes me feel like I'm a disposable customer. We don't need you anymore, we found people that will pay more. I've had this cruise booked for over a year. Very disappointing.

Edited by tartan cruiser

You can't really base year over year based on 2016. 2017 was the first year Holy Ship used NCL. Previously they were using the MSC Divina out of Miami. It was unclear why they switched but shortly after Holy Ship signed the contract with NCL, NCL went and changed their carry-on bottled water policies and then fleeced their normal cruisers (as well as those on that charter) for bottled water. I'm not sure this would sit well with the attendees when it comes to future decisions on who to charter with. It surely didn't with Groove Cruise folks when they did it to them as well on the Norwegian Sun Cabo charter.

Time will tell who Holy Ship is booking with. They're not announcing much lately to their past guests. Not sure what the hold up is, unless it is a contract of some sorts. I thought they might be shopping for a different line anyway because the Epic is not conducive to having large crowds gather in any one particular spot. :confused:

CruisinMaterial, thanks for your insight. I know the water policy is a money grab. On Princess and Carnival you can get 12 bottles for $6 vs what, about $40 on NCL. I guess we'll just have to wait and see but any way you look at it my cruise will be impacted. Either a full charter or a lot of groups to cause it to be sold out. If you happen to see anything re Holy Ship and past guests would you please come on this forum and let us know. I seach everyday to see if they have announced their dates but all I can find is unconfirmed dates and ship. Thanks

CruisinMaterial, thanks for your insight. I know the water policy is a money grab. On Princess and Carnival you can get 12 bottles for $6 vs what, about $40 on NCL. I guess we'll just have to wait and see but any way you look at it my cruise will be impacted. Either a full charter or a lot of groups to cause it to be sold out. If you happen to see anything re Holy Ship and past guests would you please come on this forum and let us know. I seach everyday to see if they have announced their dates but all I can find is unconfirmed dates and ship. Thanks

What if you send them an email asking if a ship has been confirmed and that you'd love to join but prefer one cruise line over another?

Their HQ is about a mile from our place in Boca. We will be there May 31, I can do a stop in for you. BTW. It's in a very high rent area. Lol.

No problem! If I hear something I'll let you know. The Holy Ship Fam and Groove Cruise Fam interchange somewhat so there's plenty in the GCFAM circles who will know before it's announced publicly. They usually announce to past attendees first on social media private groups before they post it on their website. If I see something, I'll let you know. :D

Thanks I'd appreciate that. Back in January I thought for sure our cruise would be chartered but as

April rolled around I thought we were safe as it was too late to make it a charter. I booked this cruise May 2016 and even made a hotel reservations before the cruise was pulled. I'm a planner so uncertainty is not my thing.

Just got the email that Epic was cancelled for the 1/6/2018 sailing. These were my options.

Option 1: Select one of the following Norwegian Epic's 7-day sailings and your cruise fare will be protected.

- - 12/2/17; 12/16/17; 1/27/18; 2/10/18; 2/24/18; 3/17/18; 3/24/18 and 3/31/18

- Option 2: Move to Norwegian Getaway's sailing of January 7, 2018 from Miami, Florida and your cruise fare will be protected.

- Option 3: Select any available sailing in our fleet through April, 2019 at the current published fare and your deposit will be applied towards the new sail date.

Just got the email that Epic was cancelled for the 1/6/2018 sailing. These were my options.

Option 1: Select one of the following Norwegian Epic's 7-day sailings and your cruise fare will be protected.

- Option 2: Move to Norwegian Getaway's sailing of January 7, 2018 from Miami, Florida and your cruise fare will be protected.

- Option 3: Select any available sailing in our fleet through April, 2019 at the current published fare and your deposit will be applied towards the new sail date.

Thanks, was just getting the phone to call our TA, but decided to see if anyone else had posted a reply. Now decisions, decisions.

That looks so much like we got twice last year. Did you also get OBC like we did?