Insurance claims for on board Medical services.

g&gtravel

Bottom line: I suggest that if you have on board medical services that you consider getting a written statement/notes from the doctor ( which is an extra charge) before leaving the ship. At least some trip insurances policies require it for considering repayment.

We had the occasion to need medical attention on the Ziuiderdam. The situation was handled quickly and expertly by nurse (Evans, RN) and the doctor (Grecia, MD). I wish I could get that level of attention at home. The blood work and EKG were completed quickly and available to the doctor for assessment.

I declined the written statement, thinking our PPC would look at conditions on day of visit and not need that information. However, I did not consider the insurance claim, requiring statement from the doctor. Some insurance may not requirement it, but if they do, getting it after disembarkation would be problematic.

My Blue Cross refused to cover my one visit to a ship's infirmary because I went to an unauthorized facility. (Unauthorized by Blue Cross)

I was told that they don't authourize any cruise ship facilities. Because I was over 65 and used an unauthorized facility I would be responsible for the first $500. The bill was less than that so I had to cover it myself.

I have not had to on HAL but on Royal Caribbean they gave me a global bill with the all the coding just like a doctor's office here. I submitted it to trip insurance and they sent me a check immediately for the full amount. Does HAL charge for a receipt?

Good heads up!

We have used medical services on board and always gotten a written statement. I wasn't aware there was a charge for it? It was just an itemized bill.

It sufficed for my insurance claim and they covered the entire thing both times (RBC Insurance).

There is a clause in my policy that says I am supposed to call but I simply contacted them after and explained we were on a cruise and contacting them would have been a very expensive matter. We had no problem.

the same thing applies for lost/stolen items. You need to do a claim form on board if you have coverage for those things.

On Holland America I automatically received a statement, which I emailed, along with the insurance form, to my travel insurance company, and about a week later I had a check.

I agree with the great, non-rushed medical care on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have used medical services on board and always gotten a written statement. I wasn't aware there was a charge for it? It was just an itemized bill.

We received the itemized bill, as you stated. The extra fee (I do not know how much it is) is for the doctors notes, which our trip insurance contract stated they required.

Good heads up!

It sufficed for my insurance claim and they covered the entire thing both times (RBC Insurance).

There is a clause in my policy that says I am supposed to call but I simply contacted them after and explained we were on a cruise and contacting them would have been a very expensive matter. We had no problem.

the same thing applies for lost/stolen items. You need to do a claim form on board if you have coverage for those things.

Jacqui, I tried to explain to Blue Cross that it costs a fortune to call from a ship and their position was I could have called collect. They would not accept that the ships system does not allow for collect calls to be made.

I have just resigned myself to paying the first 500 dollars in the future if necessary on a cruise ship. I don't buy extra out of the country medical. This is just a feature of my regular Blue Cross coverage.

They did pay a very large bill from a Florida hospital a number of years ago.

I was on the Eurodam with my Mom who needed 2 days of inpatient emergency services. Everyone was very nice although the doctors at home claim she was over medicated on the ship.

We paid for the HAL doctors notes and the itemized billing records. It was over $2000. She had HAL platinum insurance which is second payer. Based on age, independent travel ins is too expensive. She had to submit to her ins ( Medicare and supplemental) first. Then she could submit the balance to HAL. That was in Jan, and she is still waiting for her claim to be paid by the HAL policy.

On my next HAL trip I purchased first payer insurance. It seems like the claims process might be easier and it was only a bit more expensive.

Note: HAL considers medical expenses money spent on board eligible for sea day credits.

We used the medical services twice on the Oosterdam one cruise, and the bill they gave us was enough for our Kaiser Senior Advantage (Medicare) reimbursement. Kaiser automatically covers worldwide when you are traveling.

We also provided a copy of our cruise documents showing our travel dates.

My Blue Cross refused to cover my one visit to a ship's infirmary because I went to an unauthorized facility. (Unauthorized by Blue Cross)

I was told that they don't authourize any cruise ship facilities. Because I was over 65 and used an unauthorized facility I would be responsible for the first $500. The bill was less than that so I had to cover it myself.

Interesting, I am covered under the Federal Retiree Blue Cross program and filed a claim after visiting the doctor on the Maasdam in Oct 2016. I had to submit it as a "out of the USA" claim and it was paid 100% including the meds that I was given.