What are my options?

On Allure next week with my daughter, previous cruises my DH used his international work phone for internet and and calls that needed to be made. Since he's not coming with us this time,been looking at my options for using phone primarily to keep in touch with him every couple days, believe me, I don't mind disconnecting from internet for a week. Checked with Verizon , no special deals while traveling so $2.99 per minute for talking, $.50 per text, sending and/or receiving. Any other suggestions? What about FaceTime? Same charge? I plan on turning off my wifi and putting on airplane mode. Don't judge me people, just looking at my options.

If you purchase the ship's internet package (VOOM), and your phone has WiFi calling enabled, you can use all phone functions as if you are on the US cellular network, with no chanrges from your cell company.

You can also use wifi in the ports. Many places offer free wifi with a purchase, so we'll just order a beverage and use their wifi. You can ask the crew where to find the best/closest wifi

I use an app called Voxer. It works like a walkie talkie and you can also text. It works on wifi so not through a cellular network. Anyone you want to communicate with does need to also have the app. Website is Voxer.com. It is available for Android, iPhone, etc. Hope this helps.

You can also use wifi in the ports. Many places offer free wifi with a purchase, so we'll just order a beverage and use their wifi. You can ask the crew where to find the best/closest wifi

We also do this when we like to check on family at home.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Yes, we always set on airplane mode, hoping to get WIFI in Falmouth and Cozumel. Anyone have luck connecting in Falmouth port?

Falmouth has a Margaritaville right next to the ship that has free wifi. We had a drink (or two) there and used free wifi. Every time we are in Cozumel, we are at a resort that always has free wifi. You should be able to find a place pretty easily. They usually have a sign enticing you to come on in, have a drink, eat and use their free wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Since you are on Verizon look at their TravelPass option. You can turn this on for your Verizon phone and there is no charge unless you use it. It won't work on the ship but will work on most islands.

It allows you to use your regular phone plan minutes, texting, and Internet outside of the U.S.

It costs $10 per day, but only on the days you use it. Once your phone connects to the network you are charged $10 which covers the 24 hour period starting from when you connected.

Here is a list of places it will work:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/travelpass-countries/

I am on the same cruise as you this week. I called Verizon and for $40 I could get 100 minutes and 100 texts and a little bit of data. I will have it start the day we leave. I would try calling Verizon again and hopefully talk to someone that knows about these plans. There were a few international options.