Why I love Radiance Class Ships

Semi newbie question: is there a way to see forward on the Radiance class? Serenade, specifically.

Also, given a choice of cabin 7174, 7040 and 9578, which one would you choose? The price difference is very little. Thanks for any feedback!

I haven't had the pleasure of sailing on a Radiance class ship, but I'm looking forward to it in 2019 (when they finally release the itineraries for Australia & the Transpacifics etc!). I've been on one Vision class ship and the thing I remember most about it was the lovely Centrum with the beautiful glass windows all around and the stunning views of the ocean outside. We spent a lot of time in some of the lounge spaces on various floors (often times with a cup of Ben n Jerry's!) enjoying the beautiful views.

While I personally continue to prefer the Voyager and Freedom class of ships, if you really think about it you do notice that there are very few options for getting outside views UNLESS you pay for a balcony+ cabin. (Most of the oceanview cabins have very small windows although some of the newer panoramic oceanview cabins are stunning though and are just as good as a balcony.) Anyway -- unless you've got the balcony cabin, it's hard to find an indoor space with nice views outside. And if there are such spaces, they are usually pay-for venues (such as Chops, for instance) or else the good seats are already taken!

We will be on three Vision class ships in a row so it will be interesting to see how we enjoy it this time around (having also been on an Oasis class ship). I think I will miss the Promenade but I will enjoy the lovely views outside from the Centrum instead! I also absolutely love the covered Solarium (whether retracted or not) as we have found many of our cruises are marred by inclement weather (we do a lot of repositioning and European cruises) so this is a major bonus for us.

I'm definitely looking forward to a Radiance class ship as I've heard lots of lovely things about them. I'd always wanted to sail on one of them. Do they still have the self-leveling pool tables?

The Centrum is nice, but also has its drawbacks. They host quite a few activities there, so the area around the 4th floor (I think it was 4) can become quite crowded, with very limited seating. People would also gather around the railing on the next 2 or 3 floors, sometimes more.

That's the way it was on Radiance, anyway. From photos I've seen, it's like that for the other ships in the class.

Well said, Travelplus! When we did Anthem last Summer, we really loved the cruise. But....one night as we sat on the balcony, both of us realized how much we missed the smaller ships. We're excited for next month on Brilliance. I can't see us ever going on the larger vessels again.

Semi newbie question: is there a way to see forward on the Radiance class? Serenade, specifically.

Also, given a choice of cabin 7174, 7040 and 9578, which one would you choose? The price difference is very little. Thanks for any feedback!

Besides the fitness center (no charge to use) there are the forward facing ocean view cabins or going out onto the bow and the helipad.

Well said, Travelplus! When we did Anthem last Summer, we really loved the cruise. But....one night as we sat on the balcony, both of us realized how much we missed the smaller ships. We're excited for next month on Brilliance. I can't see us ever going on the larger vessels again.

When we sailed the Anthem I said I want to go back to smaller ship also. So we have booked the Radiance and leave in two weeks to do Alaska and booked Celebrity Eclipse in 6 months. Looking forward to going back to be able to walk the railing without life boats blocking my view.

I haven't had the pleasure of sailing on a Radiance class ship, but I'm looking forward to it in 2019 (when they finally release the itineraries for Australia & the Transpacifics etc!). I've been on one Vision class ship and the thing I remember most about it was the lovely Centrum with the beautiful glass windows all around and the stunning views of the ocean outside. We spent a lot of time in some of the lounge spaces on various floors (often times with a cup of Ben n Jerry's!) enjoying the beautiful views.

While I personally continue to prefer the Voyager and Freedom class of ships, if you really think about it you do notice that there are very few options for getting outside views UNLESS you pay for a balcony+ cabin. (Most of the oceanview cabins have very small windows although some of the newer panoramic oceanview cabins are stunning though and are just as good as a balcony.) Anyway -- unless you've got the balcony cabin, it's hard to find an indoor space with nice views outside. And if there are such spaces, they are usually pay-for venues (such as Chops, for instance) or else the good seats are already taken!

We will be on three Vision class ships in a row so it will be interesting to see how we enjoy it this time around (having also been on an Oasis class ship). I think I will miss the Promenade but I will enjoy the lovely views outside from the Centrum instead! I also absolutely love the covered Solarium (whether retracted or not) as we have found many of our cruises are marred by inclement weather (we do a lot of repositioning and European cruises) so this is a major bonus for us.

I'm definitely looking forward to a Radiance class ship as I've heard lots of lovely things about them. I'd always wanted to sail on one of them. Do they still have the self-leveling pool tables?

We spent 29 days on Radiance last fall and really enjoyed her (Vancouver, B.C. to Hawaii to Australia). During the days when the weather was too hot or the seas too choppy, we hung out on Deck 5 inside by Café Latitude, or Deck 6 Aft in the Colony Club (right past the self-leveling pool tables). Everywhere on the main decks you have wonderful views of the ocean! We also enjoy walking around the ship outside on Deck 5 if it's too windy up on Deck 10.

• 1 month later...

We've been getting on bigger and bigger boats over the last few years; next heading to Oasis in September, but bouncing down to the Serenade in 2018. Will be interesting to compare. I remember going from our first ship, Majesty of the Seas, to our second ship The Norway and thinking "wow - Norway is so BIG, she won't even fit through the Panama Canal!" Now, I'm wondering if any of the ships besides the Majesty WILL fit through it! LOL

We've been on boats smaller than Majesty over the years, Song of America and Seward, and thought they were so small after The Norway. Will be very interesting to go from Oasis to Serenade...at least there is a year in between so maybe we won't notice as much.

• 5 months later...

We have sailed on the Radiance Class Brilliance of the Seas twice and absolutely love her. I will admit that we have not been on an Oasis class ship, but I am in no hurry to try one out. We travel as a couple and have no children to entertain, which would be a bonus on the Oasis class. We have trips on the"old lady" Majesty of the Seas (Cuba) and Rhapsody of the Seas coming up this summer and early next year. We were concerned at first when they changed out the Empress for Majesty, but the reviews have been positive. The only issue is, that we lost our aft facing Suite, due to Majesty not having any. We have tried various cruise lines, but have settled on Royal Caribbean as our go to cruise line.

Does Radiance of the Seas still have the Crown Lodge open to everyone as a bar? I didn’t see it that way on current deck plans, and I’m sad :(. We are taking it to Alaska this summer! :)

Yes, maybe 1/3 of the Viking Crown was taken for the Diamond Lounge, but the rest is open to all.

The last time I was on a Radiance ship was 2005 on my honeymoon and i've been dying to get on another. I've sailed voyager and freedom ships and really want to see if i enjoy the Radiance class as much as i remember. We have Jewel booked for her eastbound TA in 2018, and I can't wait!!

FYI, we may stay a couple of extra days in Grenada and bring the ship back a couple of days late. Sorry for your inconvenience;).