Onboard Internet Experiences

brepri_h

Also, bear in mind the prices posted in OP are for whatever length that cruise was - the 1 day prices are the same and you always get a discount for purchasing a package for the entire cruise up front but the number of days on the cruise determines final price.

As for OP, the social package does what it says - lets you access the most popular social websites andapplications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter,Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, FacebookMessenger, WhatsApp, Snapchat and top airlinewebsites. Does not include access to otherwebsites or apps.

All correct except for the Snapchat part. I was bummed the first cruise I tried to use it and later found out it wasn't included. But, I get by with FB messenger and Twitter DM

From Carnival's site

• Social ($5 USD per day)* – Offers access to sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and popular airline websites. Note: Plan does not include in-app calling, Facetime, Snapchat, iMessage or access to any other sites or apps.

All correct except for the Snapchat part. I was bummed the first cruise I tried to use it and later found out it wasn't included. But, I get by with FB messenger and Twitter DM

From Carnival's site

• Social ($5 USD per day)* – Offers access to sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and popular airline websites. Note: Plan does not include in-app calling, Facetime, Snapchat, iMessage or access to any other sites or apps.

they have either added it recently or one of our links is out of date:

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/fun-activities/menus/wifi-packages.pdf

zyhlbt.jpg

I know in the year I've been here that one app has been kind of on again off again. I've read people had no problems with it and other's couldn't get any of it to work and some can chat but no video...I assume as time rolls on they are improving the network infrastructure of the ships and it gets more feasible. OR they just need a webmaster who patrols their own site and deletes conflicting information lol.

We did a Mediterranean cruise on the Vista and the social plan worked well. On my recent Victory cruise, went with the value plan and it was awful the entire cruise. Not sure if the Victory has been upgraded but don't waste your money if you plan to cruise her.

Decided to pay customer service a visit but the lines were always long, forfeited $40+ dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you used the Hub to chat, how did that work? do you have to link your shoes or just know the phone numbers?

If one is going to purchase any of the internet plans, the extra $5 for the Hub Chat is not needed. Use Whatsapp or Messenger and send each other texts. The Hub Chat was okay but I lost any message being sent to me if I wasn't in range of the wifi.......it did not hold a message and wait until I had a connection to send it.

Just got off the Sunshine on Sunday. My kids were home alone for the 1st time, so I purchased the Social Plan in order to use Facebook Messenger to keep in touch. One night I had to re-log in and reboot my phone to make it work, but other than that it worked great any time of day even from our deck 2 Stateroom.

We were on the Breeze last year to Coz, Jamaica and GC and we had the social package. We thought it worked pretty well....a little delay....but we were even able to call and Video call through Messenger. It was very nice. The HUB...tho I will try it again as we have 6 kids with us this time....rarely worked for us. Messages were sometimes delayed and often not received. BUT.....we DID order pictures from Pixels through it too. I thought that was strange as that was not supposed to be on that ship yet. I have often wondered if it was a trial run for the Vista system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app

We were on the Breeze last year to Coz, Jamaica and GC and we had the social package. We thought it worked pretty well....a little delay....but we were even able to call and Video call through Messenger. It was very nice. The HUB...tho I will try it again as we have 6 kids with us this time....rarely worked for us. Messages were sometimes delayed and often not received. BUT.....we DID order pictures from Pixels through it too. I thought that was strange as that was not supposed to be on that ship yet. I have often wondered if it was a trial run for the Vista system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Forums mobile app

The Hub is completely free except for the chat option. And I agree, sometimes messages took a while to get through on Hub Chat.

Just got off the Ecstasy today. I purchased the Social Plan and was overall pleased. I was able to access Snapchat and all other websites listed above.

FB Messenger always worked (messages were sent and received immediately), the other websites loading time varied by time of day. In the morning and late at night seemed to work the best; as well as when the ship was in port and many people were out exploring.

There were a few times I had to re-log back into the system (even though I never logged out). I found that to be strange, but an easy enough fix.

As long as you are using the internet for casual/social purposes and not emergency/timely response purposes, then the speed should be worth the money.

So on the social package you can send texts? I have an iphone as was wondering which package I needed to send texts (to another iphone back home)?

No texts on the social package or on your iphone since your phone is off but you can use WhatsApp to send texts if you get the free WhatsApp app. Also I used Facebook Messenger to stay in touch but that only works if the person you want to get in touch with has FB.

I believe Ithouseprincess was referring to iMessage. It's Apple's proprietary messaging service that works between iPhones/iPads. It has the ability to work over cellular or wifi. So it should work on the ship with the right plan.

Which brings me to my question. Last year the Carnival FAQ's were worded differently. They didn't mention iMessage at all on the Social plan, but we were able to use it just fine. Now the Social plan says this: Note: Plan does not include in-app calling, Facetime, Snapchat, iMessage or access to any other sites or apps. So my question is, has anyone been able to use iMessage on iPhones with the Social plan recently? They lump it in there with in-app calling and FaceTime, but I'm curious if iMessage still works just for messaging (i.e. texting). We were able to message one another on board last year (Hub app wasn't available yet) as well as family back home who have iPhones. That's what I'm looking to do on our next cruise to keep in touch with my mom because she likes to hear from us. I don't use WhatsApp, FB Messenger, or the others.

I had the social package on the Dream in 2016 and the Magic in 2017. On the Dream, we lost connection occasionally and had to reload the carnival wifi. We were able to access all of the apps they specify ( twitter, facebook, instagram, snapchat, linkin pintrest, and others) except Instagram. It never worked for us. On the Magic, we were able to access all of the apps they specify. Speed was never a problem on either ship. We were able to communicate via facebook direct message and instagram messenger, post pics, etc. It was great for us!

Premium is much faster than Value. DH is another one that has to take work with him as Clients always have an emergency. He tried Value a few weeks ago on the Miracle and not all of his stuff would work properly (nothing is streaming), worked great when in Premium. He was charged the only difference in the two packages when he changed plans.

Last October he rarely had an issue going to Hawaii using the Premium plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums