pool stairs on Carnival

My sister and I have never been able to use the pools on the Carnival cruises we have been on because they have vertical ladders and we have knee issues, Do any Carnival Cruises ships have a pool with steps or even can I dream -a railing.

My sister and I have never been able to use the pools on the Carnival cruises we have been on because they have vertical ladders and we have knee issues, Do any Carnival Cruises ships have a pool with steps or even can I dream -a railing.

Stop dreaming because you will never wake up. They don' think of the elderly.

Maybe a bit embarrassing but I wonder if they have a lift for the pool?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In the U.S. they are mandated by the ADA. Every hotel and public pool will have lifts or get serious fines.

In the U.S. they are mandated by the ADA. Every hotel and public pool will have lifts or get serious fines.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the ADA governs Carnival's cruise ships. They are not US-flagged ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 2

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the ADA governs Carnival's cruise ships. They are not US-flagged ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Foreign flag ships have to meet some of the requirements of the ADA, but not all. Significantly, accessibility has to be "reasonably attainable" without "major structural changes", so older ships typically do not have pool lifts. Note also, that even on US flag cruise ships, SOLAS trumps ADA every time, so that if SOLAS requires a form of entry that is not accessible, then there will be no accessible entry.

Finally, the SCOTUS, in "Spector v. NCL" ruled that the provisions of the ADA that apply strictly to the foreign flag ship's "internal operations and procedures" do not apply.

All Cruise ships "home port in US must meet ADA requirements under Supreme Court decision in 2005 and Carnival Cruise lines just settleled a lawsuit with DOJ

On Carnival Vista they have a pool lift for one of the pools

http://www.adatitleiii.com/2015/08/justice-department-applies-ada-title-iii-to-carnivals-cruise-ships-website-and-mobile-app-in-a-landmark-settlement/

All Cruise ships "home port in US must meet ADA requirements under Supreme Court decision in 2005 and Carnival Cruise lines just settleled a lawsuit with DOJ

On Carnival Vista they have a pool lift for one of the pools

http://www.adatitleiii.com/2015/08/justice-department-applies-ada-title-iii-to-carnivals-cruise-ships-website-and-mobile-app-in-a-landmark-settlement/

If you read the Supreme Court decision you mention, which is in fact Spector v. NCL that I quoted, you will see that the Court ruled that only portions of the ADA apply to foreign flag cruise ships, unless Congress specifically amends the law to include foreign flag ships. Regardless of the rule making that the DOJ is making in light of the Carnival settlement, it must still meet the ruling of the SCOTUS, or will be invalid.

Secondly, the settlement calls for three levels of accessibility, "depending on age and class of ship", so the older classes of ship may not be required to meet all standards of accessibility.

The Vista, as a new ship, would be most likely to have a pool lift, but not the other ships in the fleet.

And thirdly, see the wording from the DOJ website regarding the aspects of the settlement:

"Under the agreement:

• 42 existing ships, and 7 ships in various stages of design and construction, will be surveyed and remediated to comply with the ADA regulations. Accessible cabins will be dispersed among the various classes of accommodations and will provide a range of accessible features, including features for guests with hearing impairments;
  • Three percent of the cabins on 49 ships will be accessible according to three levels of accessibility: fully accessible cabins, fully accessible cabins with a single side approach to the bed, and ambulatory accessible cabins. The remaining 13 ships will be subject to possible remediation if they continue to be in service in U.S. ports four years after the agreement is entered.
  • Carnival Corp. has created brand standards that address an array of accessibility issues and policies to implement them;
  • Carnival Corp. will provide specific ADA training to employees and managers;
  • Reservations systems will allow individuals with disabilities to reserve accessible cabins and suites with specific available options and amenities, and to guarantee reservations for accessible cabins;
  • The accessibility of Carnival Corp. websites and mobile applications will comply with WCAG 2.0 Level A and AA;
  • Carnival Corp. will appoint an ADA compliance officer at the executive level, two ADA responsibility officers – one for Carnival Cruises and one for Holland America Group, which includes Holland America Line and Princess Cruises, and ADA shipboard officers for each ship who are responsible for resolving ADA-related issues that arise at sea; and
  • Carnival Corp. will pay a civil penalty of $55,000 to the United States and $350,000 in damages to individuals harmed by past discrimination."

What I see is the requirements to meet accessibility standards for cabins, and not public spaces like pools.

Have you looked at other cruise lines. Sailing the cheapest cruise line on the seas also will always mean, they will have the least amount facilities. Carnival is know for not investing money in their ships.

Google accessibility on RCCL, and you will find a brochure about RCCL, and what they have done with accessibility. At least one pool on every ship, has a chair lift for accessibility. Plus on the bigger ships, they have some unique pools that would also suit your needs.

If you are sailing during non-peak times, you will also find the prices are very close to what you can get on Carnival.

I'm also sure other cruise lines have better facilities as well, but my main experience is with RCCL accessibility.

• 4 years later...

On the Magic there were lifts. I also have knee issues so can’t use the ladders, I was just looking for answers to this question. I would be embarrassed if I had to use the lift. I wish they had stairs. I think Norwegian CL is the same  way.