Muster drill

Clairelly

i'm glad i found this thread. had no idea we had to bring jackets to muster. i sense this will be a nightmare trying to get back to cabin for sailaway then.

thankfully we are on lido deck so once we return the vests we will be good. but no way can i hike up 10 decks on the steps. so with 5pm sailaway i'm assuming 4 to 415 muster?

Quote: "I always amuse myself at muster by looking for the people who put their jackets on way before they are supposed to (there are always some who can't follow directions)".

Ditto... we do the same thing. We like to count the number of people who put on their life vest when they are not suppose too. We have found the numbers differ depending on the region you cruise. The Australian/New Zealand trip this year had an extremely large number of individuals putting vests on. Even after crew told them to take them off they put them back on again with the rest of their group now joining them. Crew came back over and had them take them off and as soon as the crew left they put them back on which led to more individuals in their group putting them on. No matter how many announcement they made about not putting on the vests people kept putting them on. Crew was running all over the place trying to get them to take them off. We looked around the room and saw that we were not the only ones chuckling at the situation, even some crew members started to chuckle.

just wondering - why is it so horrible to put them on before we are all instructed to do so?

also is muster ever held on upper decks? (regal) that sure would be nice for me ;)

I didn't find Royal Caribbean's muster drill outside on a deck all that enjoyable. We were on the sunny side of the ship at 3 pm in FLL, with the sun shining directly in our eyes. It was really hot and uncomfortable. We were standing packed 7-8 people to a column about 7 rows deep. Nowhere to sit, even if you cannot stand. I cannot stand (back trauma), so I just sat down directly on the deck right in the middle of the crowd. It took forever until the actual drill started so our then 3 year old was getting hot and impatient as well. Thankfully, he had his toy cars with him so he was busy playing.

I am much happier with Princess doing muster drills indoors with seating available (even though last time I still had to sit on the floor because we were not first in line).

Not that I've ever seen on Princess. They always have them in enclosed spaces.

i figured as much because of weather. just dread the elevators after. maybe can walk down 2 flights to catch elevator there. but people probably thought of that already.

also is muster ever held on upper decks? (regal) that sure would be nice for me ;)

No. Muster will be held in lounges and other public areas on deck 7 and sometimes 6. I'm not sure if the Regal has some muster stations on deck 6.Your muster station is shown on the inside of your cabin door and is also printed on your life jacket.You can not access the life craft from upper decks so a muster station can not be there. Arrive 10 to 15 mins early if you want a seat. Carry, don't wear your life jacket to the drill. You will be instructed to put it on at the end of the drill. If you can't walk up the stairs after the drill you will have to wait for an elevator with everyone else. You will not miss the sail away. There is plenty of time after the drill to return to the upper decks and the sail away party. After all Princess does not want to miss out on selling those sail away drinks.

one good thing is this means you have jackets in your cabin. last cruise we requested 2 kids ones because there were only 2 adults under the bed and we never got the 2 kids ones

So did you bring this up to someone. If you didn't and needed them i'm sure you would regret that omission.

We were on HAL last year (Koningsdam) and I was really impressed with how they did muster. It was the first time I ever really understood what to do in an emergency. They explained that when we heard the 7 short blast followed by the long blast, we were all to report to our staterooms, as we would in a real emergency. Then they instructed everyone to turn their TV on and watch the video that would be playing shortly. We watched the video, and then were instructed to go to muster, but that in a real emergency but we would bring lifejackets but for the drill we would not. We had anther short explanation about heading to lifeboats while we were in muster and then we were done!

one good thing is this means you have jackets in your cabin. last cruise we requested 2 kids ones because there were only 2 adults under the bed and we never got the 2 kids ones

Your life vests were under your bed??? !!!

This is concerning because It has been my experience that Princess life vests are located on the top shelf of the closet in staterooms and I assumed that was the "Princess standard".

That's one thing I would like to be able to rely on Princess cruise - to - Princess cruise - - the location of my life vest.:confused: