Dramamine types

has anyone tried the ginger type and if so how did it work. Normal Dramamine makes me drowsy, but then they also have a "less drowsy" kind that I haven't tried. And does the kids stuff make them drowsy as well? Last cruise 3 of the 5 of us were feeling not so great the first two days and almost every cruise I go on the first day I don't feel that great either.

has anyone tried the ginger type and if so how did it work. Normal Dramamine makes me drowsy, but then they also have a "less drowsy" kind that I haven't tried. And does the kids stuff make them drowsy as well? Last cruise 3 of the 5 of us were feeling not so great the first two days and almost every cruise I go on the first day I don't feel that great either.

The only active ingredient in Dramamine Non-Drowsy is ginger root. It does not contain any of the ingredients in original Dramamine that cause drowsiness. There are reports that ginger can affect blood sugar levels. If you are diabetic you may want to consult a knowledgeable medical professional.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm not too worried about the price, just more of the side effects. I know Walmart also sells an equate brand as well. I get motion sickness in vehicles even in the front seat so I want to make sure whatever i get works but I don't want to be sleeping the entire time either :) thanks!!!

I live on Bonine (non-drowsy Dramamine) when I cruise, not only on the ship but also for shore excursions. I also get extreme motion sickness, even as the driver. I take one morning and night starting the night before boarding the ship all the way through to boarding the plane to go home. It never makes me drowsy and works like a charm.

Another vote for bonine. (Generic name is meclizine, and it's the active ingredient in the non drowsy Dramamine as well as Bonine). Works well. I'm very prone to motion sickness and none of the bands/ginger/oils have ever worked for me. However, I hate the feeling that the regular Dramamine gave me. Sleepy, almost drunk feeling. Meclizine has worked wonders for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased Meclizine from the pharmacy. It goes by that name. Doesn't need a prescription 25mg chewable tablet works for 24 hours. It is non drowsy and is much cheaper than buying the name brand stuff. I received 100 tablets for under $5.00 from the Costco pharmacy. They also just call it Travel sickness medicine. I take one every day starting the day before the cruise. It is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I recommend Meclizine as well. Sam's Club Pharmacy has it for like 100 pills for $3.75. You don't need a membership to buy at pharmacy. Just tell the person at door you are going to pharmacy. You have to ask for it as it's behind the counter but no prescription is needed.

Can children take meclazine? I'm not too worried about the older two as they are about the weight of an adult but the younger two are on the smaller side, so would it be ok to halve the pill?

I believe that Meclizine is not generally recommended for children under the age 12. It would be best to check with your own Pediatrician.

Hank

The only active ingredient in Dramamine Non-Drowsy is ginger root. It does not contain any of the ingredients in original Dramamine that cause drowsiness. There are reports that ginger can affect blood sugar levels. If you are diabetic you may want to consult a knowledgeable medical professional.

Information is incorrect. Non-Drowsy Dramamine is meclizine hcl. Read the ingredients on all packages to compare cost/ingredients. Also, if you have any medical issues check with your doctor and pharmacist before taking new medications.

It really depends how bad your motion sickness is. I have AWFUL motion sickness, once the persistent nausea, then vomiting it takes IV medication to get it to stop. The active ingredient in Dramamine his a histamine blocker, which is basically benedryl, which drys out your stomach. And you nose, mouth, skin, etc. And makes you tired. And for me, grouchy and hungry. All things I dont want to be on vacation.

The non drowsy Dram works if I need a top up after the original Dram dose. Once you get some in your system it tends to work longer. If you want to go the Dram route I suggest taking it at night a few nights before the cruise. Then pop a few non drowsy during the day. Continue that while on board.

However, my preferred cruise med is the Rx Transderm patches. You pop one on for 3 or 4 days, behind your ear and no sea sickness. They are spendy, but worth it to enjoy your cruise and not be feeling queezy or so tired you cant enjoy. I believe they come in packs of 4, which is going to cost you around $100.

Good luck!

First, I would also suggest speaking with your doctor, but this is what works for us. My husband and 15 yo daughter get motion sickness on a ship. Not enough to vomit, but enough to be nauseous and miserable. They take bonine at bedtime starting two days prior to cruising and each night during the cruise. It has worked great. No sickness and no drowsiness.

I'm just like you - I get sick in the front seat of the car, and I even get sick on a dock, and Dramamine or Gravol both make me super sleepy.

I take 1/2 of a Bonine before bed each night when we're sailing and have done really well. I sleep really well, but am not drowsy the next day. Only once have I had to take an extra half pill, and that was when I was stuck in the back of a mini van on a horrible excursion.

If you'd rather not take pills, try Acupuncture. That also works very, very well.

Two cruises ago I got motion sickness on the drive from MCO to our hotel near the port. We were sitting in the front of a charter bus but the driver was swerving all over the road and the ride lasted over an hour : / I have also had motion sickness on almost every cruise we have done. The one time I actually took the regular Dramamine I slept away almost half the cruise. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm for sure going to get some meds from the pharmacist and then go from there on what is best for the little kids. Thanks !!!!