Lido Cafe -- Oosterdam May 21 -- Limited hours and running out of menu items

lets-cruz

Running out of the advertised meat seems like cheating the customer. There is a certain economy of scale by encouraging people to eat in the lido. It frees up dining room space and wait staff if many eat buffet style verses sit down. It may cut food cost if people fill up on starchy buffet food.

If the dinner meat was gone that is a deal breaker. Buyer beware.

We've had this happen at lunch on Holland America and we were unhappy. Dinner shortages take it to another level.

To be fair to HAL, which I otherwise enjoyed very much, I'm not saying all the dinner meat was gone. But on the three nights I dined in the Lido, the item that was sort of the "featured" item (filet with shrimp; prime rib; another kind of specialty beef) did not make it to the close of the buffet. And of course nobody would starve - there was plenty of other food available. It just seemed very odd to be out of some things, and out pretty early.

I appreciate the responses from you all. Pretty clear that HAL is not the best fit for all of my preferences, even though it is a fine cruise line.

If you need 24hr on-demand Lido food, HAL ships are probably not designed to offer it. Good thing you found other cruise lines that will.

Oh my, I hope my post didn't sound that demanding. :o That's not at all what I need or expect.

Running out of the advertised meat seems like cheating the customer.
To treat a menu as an appendix to a contract is self-ratifying nonsense. It's unfortunate, and a negative customer satisfaction experience, but throwing around words like, "cheating," in such a case is little more than an attempt to overstate the level of offense.

There is a certain economy of scale by encouraging people to eat in the lido. It frees up dining room space and wait staff if many eat buffet style verses sit down. It may cut food cost if people fill up on starchy buffet food.
We ate the Lido a couple of nights, and it offered most of the MDR food, but allowed us to select, for example, a double portion of the fish and none of the "starchy" sides. While there may be a labor advantage to the buffet, it doesn't seem like there is necessarily a protein vs. starch advantage for the cruise line.

If the dinner meat was gone that is a deal breaker. Buyer beware.
Always. What I'm learning from recent reports is that it is better to be earlier than later for many things. It is good advice that I'm internalizing very seriously.

Oh my, I hope my post didn't sound that demanding. :o That's not at all what I need or expect.

It didn't sound that demanding. You pointed out another weakness in HAL's Lido -- and I would have been as unhappy.

We've never starved on a HAL cruise, but we have found ourselves hungry and missing the options available on other lines. Probably one of the reasons we've not sailed HAL lately.

To treat a menu as an appendix to a contract is self-ratifying nonsense. It's unfortunate, and a negative customer satisfaction experience, but throwing around words like, "cheating," in such a case is little more than an attempt to overstate the level of offense.

We ate the Lido a couple of nights, and it offered most of the MDR food, but allowed us to select, for example, a double portion of the fish and none of the "starchy" sides. While there may be a labor advantage to the buffet, it doesn't seem like there is necessarily a protein vs. starch advantage for the cruise line.

Always. What I'm learning from recent reports is that it is better to be earlier than later for many things. It is good advice that I'm internalizing very seriously.

If many people were having a double portion of the protein, that may be why there wasn't any left for later diners.

If many people were having a double portion of the protein, that may be why there wasn't any left for later diners.

Yes, doubles. And triples.

We rarely go to the Lido for dinner, but on our last cruise, Gala night was rough weather, and I just didn't think I could sit through a long meal in the aft MDR or eat a big meal. It was surf and turf night, so maybe that isn't the usual situation. The buffet couldn't keep up with the demand for the lobster. They were bringing out more as quickly as possible. The lobster looked good because it was so fresh, but I wasn't in the mood for seafood. I just had one piece of steak, DH had a different main course, but we had to stand in the line behind all the people waiting for two or three lobster tails. While we were eating, I saw a man sit down with at least 3 lobster tails on his plate. He finished those and went back for two more. Shrimp cocktails were disappearing at a similar rate.

I always thought the buffet was mainly used by people who didn't want to dress up for the MDR or who didn't enjoy a slow meal. But that night, all I could think was OINK.

That could very well be, though asking for seconds happens in the MDR as well. The difference is the ability to eliminate the waste of undesired starchy sides in the Lido.

We rarely go to the Lido for dinner, but on our last cruise, Gala night was rough weather, and I just didn't think I could sit through a long meal in the aft MDR or eat a big meal. It was surf and turf night, so maybe that isn't the usual situation. The buffet couldn't keep up with the demand for the lobster. They were bringing out more as quickly as possible. The lobster looked good because it was so fresh, but I wasn't in the mood for seafood. I just had one piece of steak, DH had a different main course, but we had to stand in the line behind all the people waiting for two or three lobster tails. While we were eating, I saw a man sit down with at least 3 lobster tails on his plate. He finished those and went back for two more. Shrimp cocktails were disappearing at a similar rate.

I always thought the buffet was mainly used by people who didn't want to dress up for the MDR or who didn't enjoy a slow meal. But that night, all I could think was OINK.

Hal has been in business for many, many years. Shouldn't they have an idea of how much food they would go through on a given night? While I would never eat as much food as you are describing I think it's a bit judgemental to be saying "oink".

I think it's a bit judgemental to be saying "oink".

I don't at all.. I've witnessed it over and over at the buffet. Some folks pile their plates sky-high, then leave half or more of it to be thrown away.

Such a shameful waste, and double 'oink'! :rolleyes:

I don't at all.. I've witnessed it over and over at the buffet. Some folks pile their plates sky-high, then leave half or more of it to be thrown away.

Such a shameful waste, and double 'oink'! :rolleyes:

That is a different matter entirely. I would think if they are going back for seconds of lobster tails that they wouldn't leave the first serving of them on their plate. I don't notice what others do because I'm enjoying my cruise and not looking at what others do. It's not important to me. Live and let live.

Key part of the response was HAL ship Lido's, particularly the smaller, older ones, may not be designed to offer on-demand 24hr service. Newer ships and other cruise lines apparently can offer this option, which make them a better choice for passengers who don't want to work around scheduled HAL Lido dining times.

That's awful, how selfish (not shellfish!) to eat 5 lobster tails when they can see they can't keep up with demand.

I think it is a different situation in the MDR, because most people would be too embarrassed to order 5 lobster tails ... at least I hope they would. :o

We are able to eliminate undesired items in the MDR by asking the wait staff.
What a fantastic improvement. My past experience on several cruise lines was quite different and numerous reviews I've read indicate that things still work otherwise in the MDR. Even on Disney when I asked if I could have a second piece of fish but without the mashed potatoes (I think) the answer was, "let me just bring you a second full fish entree."

I've been on three different HAL ships in the last six months. Two out of the three would run out of menu items in the Lido several nights. At breakfast they would run out of a few items. We would be tired some evenings and not want to get dressed. It was disappointing to find some items gone an hour before closing time. Nevertheless, HAL is still probably my favorite cruise line.

I'm not talking about the big cruise contract.

I'm talking about my relationship as a customer and consumer ethics.

If the cruise line runs out of an advertised, promoted food one time , maybe??? I would over look it. If it happens repeatedly this is a deal breaker for my business.

Yes, this is cheating the customer. I have higher standards than to just accept it.

I'm not talking about the big cruise contract.

I'm talking about my relationship as a customer and consumer ethics.

Apparently defined by your personal qualifications rather than an agreement between you and those who offer services to you. That kind of system makes no sense.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We do not like the LIdo's early closing hours. Not a deal breaker for us but we certainly notice it. Every cruise line seems to have it's different quirks and customs. HAL really needs to up it's food services and it's dining venue options. They are falling behind. Hopefully K'dam and the new builds will address this.

We don't cruise for the food and we certainly don't starve. Room service does not cut it for us. We have an aversion to eating in our room. The only room service we do is coffee on the verandah in the morning with some fruit. Tried full breakfast a few times but we are not partial to lukewarm or cold eggs.

Nobody starves on a cruise ship, even on HAL:D One of the most comprehensive websites here is kept by Roger Jett, who has posted literally every kind of menu you can find from several of his cruises. He's currently on the Noordam, and I'm sure he'll post more good stuff when he gets back:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/

There is hot food available at the later evening offerings in the Lido. My sister and I never eat in the Lido, but we walk through there pretty regularly, and there is a huge selection of food to eat. Amazing, to my eyes. ( A church I attended some years ago sponsored a Romanian pastor and his wife to come talk about missionary work in Romania. The first time we took him to the Costco near where we live, he broke down in tears at the immense sight of the towers of food all around him, food of every kind and selection, a cornucopia he had no idea existed in the world. The Lido is not quite Costco, but I find it pretty impressive):);p

I completely agree with the discussion above about all of our bounty in the west. I heard from some Viet friends who arrived in the US from refugee camp in Thailand several years back and were taken to the nearby regular (nothing special) grocery store and thought that it was all staged and that there was no way there was that much food available for purchase,.. It had to be fake!!!!!

That's why I am so distressed at the impossible to please folks' comments. Why do they even go out at all? Why not stay home and eat what their mommy makes or what their private home dietician makes for them.:rolleyes: