Ultimate Beverage promo, 3 adults in the same cabin

moriarty00

All of you should also realize that I travel solo and choose the UBP and Specialty dining as perks. I dont get a break because I am only one person. I dont get 6 nights of dining and I am only one person drinking against a 2 person perk. So it helps balance out the folks who might give a few drinks away to folks who dont have the package. Not that it is right; I am only making a point.

I understand that for booking, solo guests get screwed but for the UBD/SDP promo, you are only paying for yourself. You don't pay double for the UBP ($99.54 x 2) nor the 3SDP ($12.42 x 2).

It doesn't "balance out" for people to give drinks to those who don't have the UBP (promo or purchased) and don't pay for their drinks.

• Like 1

I understand that for booking, solo guests get screwed but for the UBD/SDP promo, you are only paying for yourself. You don't pay double for the UBP ($99.54 x 2) nor the 3SDP ($12.42 x 2).

It doesn't "balance out" for people to give drinks to those who don't have the UBP (promo or purchased) and don't pay for their drinks.

It balances out if the person giving the drinks does not drink themselves. I even asked if he could exchange his end of the package for a soda package but they said no. That said, I think it's not very fair that someone who does not drink has to pay the gratuities for the package just because the other person in the cabin drinks. This bonus should be per person not per 2 people in the cabin. I wanted the UBP bonus but my husband does not but has to pay for it anyway. So in the end, the cruise line makes out if only ONE person is drinking.

That said, I think it's not very fair that someone who does not drink has to pay the gratuities for the package just because the other person in the cabin drinks. This bonus should be per person not per 2 people in the cabin. I wanted the UBP bonus but my husband does not but has to pay for it anyway. So in the end, the cruise line makes out if only ONE person is drinking.
Nobody "has to" pay the 18% on the UBP. It is a choice to pick the UBP, any other promo, or no promo at all. You made a choice. The UBP is what it is. If guest 2 wanted the SDP and guest 1 only eats at the buffet, it would be the same situation. There is no "fair or unfair" if people choose their promo and pay for it. The reason (in part) that guests 1 & 2 both pay for the 18% on the UBP is because people would likely try to "gift" drinks to the other person if only 1 had to pay it.

This bonus should be per person not per 2 people in the cabin. I wanted the UBP bonus but my husband does not but has to pay for it anyway. So in the end, the cruise line makes out if only ONE person is drinking.
And if only one person in a stateroom had to take the UBP, my guess is that there would be a lot more sharing, because a lot of people would be doing it to save a few bucks.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

ive been researching this issue because i wasnt sure if guest 3 had to pony up for the drink pack. am i correct in that they do not have to buy it? 

also regarding what someone said above i found this:

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Eligible guests are entitled to two beverages per person per transaction. 

37 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

ive been researching this issue because i wasnt sure if guest 3 had to pony up for the drink pack. am i correct in that they do not have to buy it? 

If guests 1&2 take the promo, guest 3 does not have to buy a package. Guest 3 can either pay for drinks a la carte or buy a package.

If a guest BUYS an alcohol package, all others in the stateroom have to buy the same package (if 21 or older) or buy a soda program (if under 21).

37 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

On paper, this has changed several times from 1 per transaction, 2 per transaction, back to 1, back to 2, etc.. On the ship, 2 per card is usually the norm once bartenders figure out that both people have the package. Some people just bring 2 cards just in case. If someone brought 2 cards and asked for 4 drinks for a party of 4, the bartender might ask for the other cards if he/she suspects that 1 or 2 of the 4 people don't have a package.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

35 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

On paper, this has changed several times from 1 per transaction, 2 per transaction, back to 1, back to 2, etc.. On the ship, 2 per card is usually the norm once bartenders figure out that both people have the package. Some people just bring 2 cards just in case. If someone brought 2 cards and asked for 4 drinks for a party of 4, the bartender might ask for the other cards if he/she suspects that 1 or 2 of the 4 people don't have a package.

Yup, the big (for me) advantage of the two drinks at a time rule means that either my partner or I can walk to the bar to grab drinks for both of us, rather than both of us having to go (and leave our stuff unattended at our seats) each time we want a drink.

We have often sailed with three adults in the same state room.  My almost 90 mom doesn't drink (much).  When ever we go to a bar, we order for all three of us, and offer our two cards with the drink package and my mom's card for them to charge her drink to.  Sometimes they take her card and charge her.  Many times they do not.  We are honest and up front and let them decide how to handle it.

I don't know if it would be different if she were not almost 90.

So would a shot with a beer chaser count as two drinks?

Right now NCL is one of the more lenient cruise lines when it comes to the drink packages - others limit the number of drinks per day and/or how often you can get a drink as well as how many you can get at a time. On the other hand, NCL has one of the least inclusive packages when it comes to what they offer with their packages.

On our last cruise back in 16 we were three adults in a suite and while only two of us were supposed to have had the UBP, all three of our cards were coded for it. The bartenders never swiped our cards - they just looked and saw the UBP and gave us our drinks.

13 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

also regarding what someone said above i found this:

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Also want to point out your research is reviving a thread from 2017 when the T&Cs were very different.....  this is one way to confuse everyone!! 

11 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Also want to point out your research is reviving a thread from 2017 when the T&Cs were very different.....  this is one way to confuse everyone!! 

and yet one gets yelled at if they create new threads asking about the same old topic over and over. so which is the official way to do it and who decides what is official?

• Like 2