Jacket Required for Princess Alaska Cruise Formal Nights?

JessInNY

Hello All, next Sunday we are off to Alaska :) I can't remember what the formal night dress code is - are jackets required for men, or is a button down shirt, with dress slacks acceptable? Thank you! And, have a great day! - JessInNY

Hello All, next Sunday we are off to Alaska :) I can't remember what the formal night dress code is - are jackets required for men, or is a button down shirt, with dress slacks acceptable? Thank you! And, have a great day! - JessInNY

No matter what people will tell you jackets are not a true requirement on any Princess sailing. A dress shirt & slacks are all that's a requirement on formal nights although many guys will pack the jacket. (just because they didn't know)

No matter what people will tell you jackets are not a true requirement on any Princess sailing. A dress shirt & slacks are all that's a requirement on formal nights although many guys will pack the jacket. (just because they didn't know)

Thank you very much; I appreciate the reply!

Here's the link to Princess.com. Jackets/Suits/Tux's ARE recommended for formal night.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

"Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men"

Edited by davestic
addition

Here's the link to Princess.com. Jackets/Suits/Tux's ARE recommended for formal night.

"Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

There is this and then there is reality. You now have been informed of both. Enjoy your cruise.

Real easy to find on the Princess website.

The region has nothing to do with the Princess dress policy.

"Formal

Included in that link they say (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks).

A jacket might not be a requirement on formal nights but it is a polite request on every Princess ship. Some choose to ignore it.

Princess simply gives suggestions for those people who are unsure what to wear on formal nights and it varies from very dressy all the way down to dress pants with shoes & dress shirt if you prefer. They let the individuals decide for themselves what is appropriate.

Often, women dress more formally than the men ........ I take it to mean that women just like getting dressed up more than the average male. Also, a woman's gown takes up much less space than a man's suit or tux.

Have a wonderful cruise and dress however you wish!:)

They are not.

Great to see someone who believes "Clothes make the man".

And I always thought it was character. I have seen some well dressed men who were severely lacking in the character department. Personally, I go with how good is his character, not on how good he looks in a tux.

The code does say what's expected. There are those who choose to ignore it & berate those who feel it should be followed. Simply dress how you would go to a fine dining restaurant or a show at a Broadway type venue. A sport coat would be fine. A tux if you wish, but not necessary. Some Maître D may bar entry. I've seen it done, no matter what some say, It does occur.

Cruises set the dress code (formal and regular nights) to provide an experience for their passengers. Some people go their own route, making that experience more comfortable for themselves and in doing so*may* dilute the experience for those around them.

If I was gong to a wedding and it was suggested black tie, I'd wear appropriate attire or not attend. Princess has the horizon court for that.