Cruise Critic Community
roothy123

Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

On 7/23/2019 at 10:56 AM, Jim Avery said:

Haha, I feel your pain.  DW has valet parking at Chicos..  😎🍸

For me, it’s Soft Surroundings!  And they have fabulous tunics!  😍

3 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

Thank you! There is one fairly near me. I'm going to check them out.

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2019 at 7:32 AM, Cyber Kat said:

CK, thank you again!!!!

I finally got there last night and would have cleaned out the store! My daughter was with me and she didn't go home empty handed either.  Great staff. Very helpful. Can't wait to go back!

Edited by Peregrina651

47 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

CK, thank you again!!!!

I finally got there last night and would have cleaned out the store! My daughter was with me and she didn't go home empty handed either.  Great staff. Very helpful. Can't wait to go back!

Glad to hear you liked it!  I just got an email about a hooded tunic in a pretty print on sale in their catalog.  It looked perfect for our upcoming Eastern Seaboard cruise!  I could easily clean out the store!

Sign up for their emails - they will send you coupons for $20 off a few times a year!  And they have an outlet store online.  Also if you order from the catalog in the store, they ship free!

1 hour ago, Cyber Kat said:

Glad to hear you liked it!  I just got an email about a hooded tunic in a pretty print on sale in their catalog.  It looked perfect for our upcoming Eastern Seaboard cruise!  I could easily clean out the store!

Sign up for their emails - they will send you coupons for $20 off a few times a year!  And they have an outlet store online.  Also if you order from the catalog in the store, they ship free!

A local shopping center has a JJill right next to Soft Surroundings. That's a dangerous stretch to pass on my way to the grocery store!

1 hour ago, lackcreativity said:

A local shopping center has a JJill right next to Soft Surroundings. That's a dangerous stretch to pass on my way to the grocery store!

Just to have them in the same mall would be fantastic.

Have never been to Soft Surroundings, and only to JJill once or twice.  But I see they're both in the same shopping mall (Columbia, MD) in my neck of the woods, so maybe I'll have to make a trip there. I'll blame Cyber Kat if I spend too much money....really don't need any new clothes, but do have a cruise coming up later in the year, so...

Edited by roothy123

21 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Have never been to Soft Surroundings, and only to JJill once or twice.  But I see they're both in the same shopping mall (Columbia, MD) in my neck of the woods, so maybe I'll have to make a trip there. I'll blame Cyber Kat if I spend too much money....really don't need any new clothes, but do have a cruise coming up later in the year, so...

LOL! I don’t really need new clothes either. I should go through my closet and have a good clean out 😆

We really are getting off track, so I feel I owe a tip!

TIPS

if there is an optional excursion you didn’t get because it was sold out when your booking window opened: 

• 1) keep watching MyVikingJourney.  We had quite a few open up again 
  • 2) check with the shore excursion desk as soon as you can after boarding. There are people changing theirs or canceling up to the night before that port 

Also for the included - if you are not happy with your time slot, these often change as well as people cancel or change things around. 

As for booking the specialty restaurants, check the desk in front of the individual restaurant, instead of the one in the World Cafe. It has been our experience, that they have a bit more leeway to change things around. 

I agree with all you very good tips, CyberKat. 

Both the Viking Restaurant manager and the Excursion Manager on a recent cruise also offered up those pieces of advice.

They have the same issues that restaurants at home have (and maybe even tour groups).   Lots of folks (especially with early priority) sign up for everything they can - and then cancel out as the cruise gets closer, and during the cruise as they change plans or realize they bit off more than they can chew!

They also shared that unfortunately, some cruisers book the dinner reservations and are no shows.  For this reason, we often go "standby" and have never had a problem getting a table due to the no-shows whose tables are given up after x minutes (seemed to vary but possibly 15 to 30 minutes to be classified a "no show").   Was surprised at all the no-shows.  The number seemed to increase after a particularly busy port day with lots of excursions, as people just decided not to show for dinner.

Sort of think common courtesy would have them cancel, but because they often don't, it helps those like us out!

So - never give up!

13 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I agree with all you very good tips, CyberKat. 

Both the Viking Restaurant manager and the Excursion Manager on a recent cruise also offered up those pieces of advice.

They have the same issues that restaurants at home have (and maybe even tour groups).   Lots of folks (especially with early priority) sign up for everything they can - and then cancel out as the cruise gets closer, and during the cruise as they change plans or realize they bit off more than they can chew!

They also shared that unfortunately, some cruisers book the dinner reservations and are no shows.  For this reason, we often go "standby" and have never had a problem getting a table due to the no-shows whose tables are given up after x minutes (seemed to vary but possibly 15 to 30 minutes to be classified a "no show").   Was surprised at all the no-shows.  The number seemed to increase after a particularly busy port day with lots of excursions, as people just decided not to show for dinner.

Sort of think common courtesy would have them cancel, but because they often don't, it helps those like us out!

So - never give up!

That’s sad and maddening at the same time. It’s really not difficult to think of others instead of yourself all the time and it’s not difficult at all to pick up the phone or stop by the desk and cancel. More often I think it’s just that people don’t think beyond their own noses.