1222 for JS on Liberty? Should I?

If you are saying that the price for a JS on Liberty for a 7-day Caribbean cruise is $1222, that is a good price to me. If I was inclined to sail out of Galveston again, I'd jump on it.

If you are saying that the price for a JS on Liberty for a 7-day Caribbean cruise is $1222, that is a good price to me. If I was inclined to sail out of Galveston again, I'd jump on it.

We'll be in Vegas for a week in August, figured might be easy to fly to Houston for a Sunday sail. Haven't sailed out of Galveston yet, have read mixed reviews. We are patient, happy travelers so we take the negative reviews/complaints with a grain of salt. One of us is in the airline industry so the flying privileges are to our advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll be in Vegas for a week in August, figured might be easy to fly to Houston for a Sunday sail. Haven't sailed out of Galveston yet, have read mixed reviews. We are patient, happy travelers so we take the negative reviews/complaints with a grain of salt. One of us is in the airline industry so the flying privileges are to our advantage.

The problems most fly-in cruisers have with Galveston are hotels that have two-day minimum stays and very few (and expensive) one-way rental car options.

Check out the Gulf Coast Departures forum for ideas on shuttles:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

I believe Uber was just allowed to resume operation in Galveston, like within the last month or so.

Uber began again in the last week. Galveston Express is good, and RC has a shuttle.

We have gotten a JS for less than that from there. U

JS for $1222? I'd jump on it, I paid more than that for my balcony.

I didn't get a chance to edit this in time, was this $1222 for 2 or or person? I'd jump on it if for 2 people but not per person cost.

I don't think that is a bad price if it is for a summer cruise.

It would take a lot better deal than that to get me back to Galveston for a cruise though. The entire embarkation and disembarkation process is by far the worst of all the places I have sailed from. Everything was fine aside from getting on and getting off, but Galveston can't handle a ship of that size when other ships are in port. It's just terrible.

I don't think that is a bad price if it is for a summer cruise.

It would take a lot better deal than that to get me back to Galveston for a cruise though. The entire embarkation and disembarkation process is by far the worst of all the places I have sailed from. Everything was fine aside from getting on and getting off, but Galveston can't handle a ship of that size when other ships are in port. It's just terrible.

When did you cruise? The new terminal and having a larger ship there has made SO MUCH better.

It's ok. Not great. We have paid less twice recently for a JS from there. That's plus the tax no doubt and pp

If the cruise is in the summer months, I would say it's an excellent price.

Yes, to clarify, the price is $1222 per person on an August 20 sailing. This would put us in line for Diamond Plus on our March 2018 cruise on Anthem due to the double points for the JS this summer!

Well, being in the last half of August, the school vacations are starting to end, and prices are usually starting to go down. I still think it's a good price, but not as good as if it was mid July.

The problems most fly-in cruisers have with Galveston are hotels that have two-day minimum stays and very few (and expensive) one-way rental car options.

Check out the Gulf Coast Departures forum for ideas on shuttles:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Could always just fly into Houston and stay near the airport for the night.

Could always just fly into Houston and stay near the airport for the night.

Yes, though Hobby is not the nicest area to stay near. We stayed in the Clear Lake area, which is nicer, but then had to arrange transportation to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port. Luckily that was easy because of friends we have in the area.

Yes, to clarify, the price is $1222 per person on an August 20 sailing. This would put us in line for Diamond Plus on our March 2018 cruise on Anthem due to the double points for the JS this summer!

Then it's worth even more to you. We are on the Aug 20 sailing. We booked it two or three months ago, a regular balcony on the hump. Total with taxes was 1734, and we got gratuities, specialty dining, a massage, and obc. It's 100 less today for that room, as that sailing is on the going, going, gone sale this week, but our TA perks way more than make up for the difference. It wound cost us 700 more to move to a JS today with the sale, even if we kept our perks. I can do a lot with 700 bucks since the extra points aren't a biggie to me. D+ forever. Lol.

Then it's worth even more to you. We are on the Aug 20 sailing. We booked it two or three months ago, a regular balcony on the hump. Total with taxes was 1734, and we got gratuities, specialty dining, a massage, and obc. It's 100 less today for that room, as that sailing is on the going, going, gone sale this week, but our TA perks way more than make up for the difference. It wound cost us 700 more to move to a JS today with the sale, even if we kept our perks. I can do a lot with 700 bucks since the extra points aren't a biggie to me. D+ forever. Lol.

Sounds like you have a great TA. I thought mine was good but based on the perks yours gave you, I need to shop around again.

Sounds like you have a great TA. I thought mine was good but based on the perks yours gave you, I need to shop around again.

It was a special, but yeah, it got us to book. We really hadn't planned to go until Freedom TA in October, but since we can drive to Galveston, why not? We have had the same TA since 2010.

When did you cruise? The new terminal and having a larger ship there has made SO MUCH better.

Last year on Liberty. It was a combo of the horrible traffic patterns on the roads around the terminal area and the terminal setup itself. We have gotten very spoiled in Fort Lauderdale and Canaveral.

It was a special, but yeah, it got us to book. We really hadn't planned to go until Freedom TA in October, but since we can drive to Galveston, why not? We have had the same TA since 2010.

Man, who is your TA? I've had no luck finding one that provides anything of value.

Last year on Liberty. It was a combo of the horrible traffic patterns on the roads around the terminal area and the terminal setup itself. We have gotten very spoiled in Fort Lauderdale and Canaveral.

I was there last October, and it was terrible. Not bad enough to keep me from not going there, but I did self carry off with an infant because I saw how bad the lines were on the previous sailing.

Galveston isn't bad if you drive but I can see where flying in is a pain.

We have stayed at Hobby at least twice and it's not that bad and I am picky. It's not a fancy area but we feel safe. We do not leave anything in the car. There is not much to eat around there so consider that when you reserve a hotel. You may be eating at the hotel itself.

Now that uber can drive you back and forth it should be better. Hotels in Galveston are nicer but more expensive then sometimes downtown Houston.

To the op - I'd probably go for the JR suite for the double points in this case. We too are Diamond + forever...and would rather cruise more often then upgrade.