EXC on Westerdam

InTheWASide

Lots of wasted space and cheap-looking furniture, and DH and I would have to perch on the edge of those sofas and chairs. Not too comfy-looking at all. And it appears that much of the forward-facing windows is blocked by large TV screens. That's a shame.

1) There's always been tons of wasted space in every crows nest. Once they took out the area for the Hal cats to play up there there was a big empty wasted dance floor. The captains nook, while usually containing better design than the rest of the CN was separated enough from the rest of the room that it was underutilized. Lots of people didn't want to sit in the benches facing away from the windows and so on. "Cheap looking" is nothing more than an opinion and based on personal taste. A considerable amount of Dutch and Scandinavian furniture is minimalist and HAL in many aspects is goi back to Dutch roots.

2) if certain furniture makes you think you would have to uncomfortably sit on the edge, then please pick something else to sit on that won't cause you such pain and discomfort. Looking at the pictures I uploaded I see 9 different kinds of seat. Surely something would agree with you.

3) much of the windows is blocked by screens? Maybe 3 tops? Here's another look for you.

3ad026679989644d92f38aacb184ab54.jpg

Now let's see if we can find uninterrupted windows looking out in those same pictures.

2c9f897a4f041026a69ba47f96558111.jpg

d7c9c7d5172aa2e59429de523a451e72.jpg

f691344cfdbc3c2fb41f29a74116a058.jpg

48853d2f6c5561c27bc1431bb4a1ff77.jpg

308b8fb73739172d70d80a0829603f86.jpg

Yep. Found some.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't understand this bashing of people because of their likes or dislikes.

Myself, I am in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it camp". I liked the Crow's Nest just the way it was and the Captain's Corner was perfect for CC gatherings.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me ---that's just my opinion. I certainly wouldn't be nasty to someone who said they liked the new design. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

InTheWASide,

Many thanks for posting the link to the video as well as the photos!

I am encouraged by what I have seen. The decor is a modern update in a more tasteful manner than what I saw on my one experience aboard Celebrity Eclipse. The Crow's Nest is still functional, from what I see, as a wonderful place to watch the sea. And, cruising in very scenic areas (i.e. Prinz Christian Sund), there is ample room for more seating to be provided as needed. The room still appears sufficient for special parties within a certain size. Happy Hour, I doubt, could be held there; the bar has too few seats, if nothing else. While the "Library" area is of a modern design, lots of wasted space that could have been better used to supply more books. Not what many of us want, however.

Where is the Riksmuseum area located? I could not identify where that might be.

I like what was done with the Atrium, particularly at its lowest level. An underutilized space if there ever was one! I regret the loss of the crystal rotating sculpture, but I don't object to the new piece of art. Certainly better than "what the heck is that supposed to be" attached to the Eurodam's Atrium's ceiling.

Your post about could that one area be a return of Chocolate Seduction: looks more like maybe a return of the Java Bar (that was free) when the S- and R- Class ships were built.

Thanks again for this photo review!

Myself, I am in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it camp". I liked the Crow's Nest just the way it was and the Captain's Corner was perfect for CC gatherings.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me ---that's just my opinion. I certainly wouldn't be nasty to someone who said they liked the new design. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I am also of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it camp". (Experienced enough of that during my career.) The loss of the Captain's Corner's decor/atmosphere that I see in the photos is probably my biggest disappointment to this renovation.

I am also of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it camp". (Experienced enough of that during my career.) The loss of the Captain's Corner's decor/atmosphere that I see in the photos is probably my biggest disappointment to this renovation.

Consider me a camper too (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).

I too liked the Captain's corner. And this isn't my "cup of tea". The ambience of the Crow's Nest seems to have been lost in this reno IMO. Of course, it's only pics and I haven't been there but...

Thankfully we are sailing on a smaller class ship next time where I am fairly confident the Crow's Nest will not be touched ;)

InTheWASide,

Many thanks for posting the link to the video as well as the photos!

Where is the Riksmuseum area located? I could not identify where that might be.

It's the lowest level of the atrium. The one side/wall (not the goose, the other side) rotates through various masterpieces

I assume this is directed at me? How was I nasty to the person? They said there is wasted space. I said there has always been wasted space. They said they will have to sit uncomfortably on the edge of all seats there. I said there are 9 kinds of chairs. Surely they could find something. They said most windows blocked by large screens. I said maybe 3 at best are.

I assume this is directed at me? How was I nasty to the person? They said there is wasted space. I said there has always been wasted space. They said they will have to sit uncomfortably on the edge of all seats there. I said there are 9 kinds of chairs. Surely they could find something. They said most windows blocked by large screens. I said maybe 3 at best are.

I respect your opinion.

I've not been on HAL yet, but in 2 month I will have my HAL debut on Koningsdam.

And when I see the refit of Westerdam, my anticipation to this cruise line is getting higher.

I must say that I really like what they've done with Westerdam, especially the EXC is a venue I am looking for on cruiseships since many years.

One combines a nice observation lounge with the original idea of cruising, getting to know different destinations by ships, and providing a connection to the ocean-going travle experience most cruise lines get rid off nowadays.

With really great ocean views, complimentary snacks and good drinks one can inform itself about the visited destinations, and ship's technology on its own, without needing to attend a lecturer, which is time-consuming, and in the dark theater only on sea days, where one also could enjoy the nice weather and fresh air.

The new EXC is a really great argument for me to get me on Westerdam and all the other HAL ships getting this great feature.

I find it to be a little sad that Koningsdam does not seem to have this venue yet, but maybe there's some "replacement" venue onboard having the same function as EXC. :)

This is so much better than what Celebrity is doing to its ships now, starting with Constellation. Installing a new burgerbar which is fully overpriced just to get more onboard revenue, instead of providing some nice extra-features to the guest.

Due to those developments I perceive Celebrity as very pretentious and more translucent than they actually are.

Again: Thanks, HAL!